As the developer, you have significant control over how to price your app. You choose the license type (standard vs. developer), license term (perpetual vs. annual), pricing structure (pricing and bundled discounting based on a license unit), and regional availability. You have the flexibility to experiment on the Marketplace by tweaking pricing later on or by changing pricing by region.
➊ Determine License Term
- Perpetual - app license does not expire.
- Non-perpetual - app license must be renewed annually.
➋ Specify License Options (License Type and License Unit Pricing)
- Licenses are set to run on a permitted number of Instance Units (defined as a single installation of the Liferay Portal, which corresponds to one (1) Liferay Portal .WAR file). You can create tiers of bundled options to accommodate the number of Instance Units you wish to offer to customers. You can also offer a discounted price for a bundle of multiple Instance Units, if desired.
- There are two types of licenses that may be offered for your app: standard and developer licenses. Standard licenses are intended for production server environments. Developer licenses are limited to 10 unique IP addresses, and therefore, should not be used for full-scale production deployments.
- You can also choose to offer subscription services and 30-day trials. Subscription services consist of support, maintenance, and updates.
- Depending on how you decide to license your app, you have a few options around subscription services:
- You can offer annually renewable subscription services by checking "Offer subscription services" during the app submission process. If you select this option, you will be asked to price subscription services on a "per Instance Unit per year" basis. The first year of subscription services is included with a perpetual license. After that, the customer will need to renew subscription services at the price you designate. The customer will be entitled to support, maintenance, and updates as long as they continue to renew subscription services annually.
- If you uncheck "Offer subscription services", customers will be entitled to only app updates if and when updates become available. This type of one-time, upfront payment model may work well for less complex apps and themes/templates.
- You can offer annually renewable subscription services by checking "Offer subscription services" during the app submission process. If you select this option, the price of subscription services should be built into the annual price of the non-perpetual license, so please take this into account when pricing your non-perpetual license (in effect, the customer would pay one price annually for both the app license and subscription services). The customer will be entitled to support, maintenance, and updates as long as they continue to renew their non-perpetual license.
- If you uncheck "Offer subscription services", customers will be entitled to only app updates if and when updates become available, as long as they continue to have a valid non-perpetual license.
➌ Set Prices and Regional Availability
You have the option of specifying what countries your app will be available in and the app's price in those countries. You can make it as simple (single price offered globally) or as granular (different price in each country offered) as you want.
Liferay Marketplace Fee
When selling your apps on the Liferay Marketplace, you agree to share app sales revenue with Liferay. For each app sale, you will receive 80% and Liferay will receive 20% of the sales proceeds. We believe this type of fee structure is extremely competitive vis-a-vis other online app marketplaces. Liferay uses its share of app sales proceeds to:
- Operate and improve the Liferay Marketplace.
- Provide developer services, such as payment processing, license tracking, and performance metrics.
- Continue to invest in and grow the Liferay ecosystem.
|Share to Developer|
|Apple App Store||70%|
A valid Paypal account is required to receive payment, and you will be asked to provide this info when converting to a Paid App Developer Account. Payments will be issued no later than 90 days after the transaction.