Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 60: Performance and Permissions with Preston Crary
An episode on the "Per" things: Performance and Permissions. I spoke to Preston Crary, who amazingly was not mad at me for losing an earlier recording.
- We open with the attention to detail that's required for working on performance tuning and some short conversation about this topic.
- Sadly, there's not often a single silver bullet, but many areas of dust.
- Sometimes the fastest code is not the most optimal
- Continuing with Preston's work on Permissions:
- ResourceBlock is deprecated, and there's an easy migration path
- an example upgrade path for bookmarks
- The usecase for Resources, ResourcePermission, and ResourceBlocks (as they're not at all visible on the UI)
- Preston's way through Liferay from Support to working on the topics that he's now working on
- The new API for Permissions - and the documentation is also done already (as of me writing this article, not yet published, but available on github - should be a matter of days or hours)
- Should you implement your own permission system? (and how the answer to this question might change in 7.1)
- Upgrades are being performance tuned. I smell a future episode coming up. Paging the team that is working on this area
- The remarkable memory savings that refactoring the UserBag introduced
- What happend during login
- Passwords are PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1/160/128000 hashed, a deliberately expensive password hashing algorithm.
- LPS-75747 and an update to my hardball question: Document Library's default.xml is still in core, can't be updated through a module, just through an ext.
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here:
Radio Liferay Episode 55: James Falkner about change
In this episode I'm talking probably one last time to James Falkner about upcoming changes... James was the first guest on Radio Liferay (back in episode 1 - as well as others) and now - at least temporarily until episode 56 is published - will be the last. We're talking about upcoming changes, and sadly it looks like this will be his last appearance on this program.
If you know what the background of this story is already, you'll understand that I think full shownotes for this episode are not really appropriate. However, here are a few references if you want to follow up on some of the details:
- The reason why we talk
- Community Tummler
- git manpage generator
- Community Security Team
- Events App (iOS, Android)
- Community Expedition
- Vanilla JS
- Climate of Antarctica
- Do you want to see him while he tells you that it's true?
Stay tuned for further updates on what changes in community relations. And join me to say "Good bye James, all the best"
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on liferay.com/radio.
Or just download the MP3 here