Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 58: Jorge Ferrer continued
Two episodes (or an eternity) ago, I spoke to Jorge Ferrer, Liferay's VP of Engineering. We didn't have enough time to finish the conversation, so we continued a while after - and then I buried the recording /o\. Anyway, apart from it being still from "before the release of the current version", it's still relevant stuff, I feel bad about missing to post it. Check for yourself - here it finally is.
We're talking about these (and more) topics
- Microservices vs Monoliths
- Buzzword or breeze of fresh air?
- DHH The Majestic Monolith
- Approach this technology option like any other
- If you can't build a monolith, you are probably getting an even bigger mess if you approach microservices
- Milen's presentation: Microservices and Modularity or the difference between treatment and cure (or on youtube)
- Shortly before the release many modules were moved around and renamed. We talk about the reasons and what this meant for the translations
- What's the meaning of "Feature-Complete"?
- A lot of Feedback starts to come in during the Beta Cycle
- Nitpicking on the Beta Criteria: JBoss and Upgrade Routines
- Lookahead on the next episode on Performance Tuning
- Releaseplans (of course, I could have retrofitted an exact release date...)
- What's it like to be hired into Liferay Engineering?
- office envy
- shared spaces, decoration, own desks, separate working environments, inspiration, agora
- Is it forbidden to write Javadoc?
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here
Radio Liferay Episode 51: Ray Auge - Modularization I - Motivation
Another Devcon "private" session - I missed his presentations, but got the summary right when he was done: Ray Augé took the time to answer all sorts of questions about the Modularization in Liferay 7. In fact, he answered so many questions that we made it a 2-episode recording. This week it's about the motivation for modularization: What problem does it solve? Next week will be more technical, telling you about the implications of the updated architecture to your code.
As we recorded this on site at Devcon, you'll hear more background noise than usual - As usual, Auphonic did their best to clean the recording, and they did a great job.
- OSGi in Liferay 6.2 vs Liferay 7.0
- Modularization of Liferay 7.0
- Surprisingly (not!), modularization is not yet fully done, but it came a lot further than expected initially
- How much do you have to re-learn to build plugins for Liferay 7
- James: Community Roadmap Talk from Devcon (note: Ray also had several presentations at Devcon, you'll find his recordings there as well)
- Now everybody should be able to work the same way: Internally in Liferay's core as well as externally, in the plugins.
- Ant vs Maven vs others? What's the story with Liferay's supported Build environments? More energy will go into build tools other than the SDK
- Of course we cover a release date :) I'm getting a very rough one from Ray :)
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. If you like this, make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on liferay.com/radio.
Or just download the MP3 here: