Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 58: Jorge Ferrer continued
Two episodes (or an eternity) ago, I spoke to Jorge Ferrer, Liferay's VP of Engineering. We didn't have enough time to finish the conversation, so we continued a while after - and then I buried the recording /o\. Anyway, apart from it being still from "before the release of the current version", it's still relevant stuff, I feel bad about missing to post it. Check for yourself - here it finally is.
We're talking about these (and more) topics
- Microservices vs Monoliths
- Buzzword or breeze of fresh air?
- DHH The Majestic Monolith
- Approach this technology option like any other
- If you can't build a monolith, you are probably getting an even bigger mess if you approach microservices
- Milen's presentation: Microservices and Modularity or the difference between treatment and cure (or on youtube)
- Shortly before the release many modules were moved around and renamed. We talk about the reasons and what this meant for the translations
- What's the meaning of "Feature-Complete"?
- A lot of Feedback starts to come in during the Beta Cycle
- Nitpicking on the Beta Criteria: JBoss and Upgrade Routines
- Lookahead on the next episode on Performance Tuning
- Releaseplans (of course, I could have retrofitted an exact release date...)
- What's it like to be hired into Liferay Engineering?
- office envy
- shared spaces, decoration, own desks, separate working environments, inspiration, agora
- Is it forbidden to write Javadoc?
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here
Radio Liferay Episode 50: Jens Bruhn - Pimp my script engine
Wow, 50 episodes already. At this year's Devcon I spoke with Jens Bruhn. He's Software Architect at Prodyna AG, a Liferay Partner and the author of Nabucco Script Center, a Liferay App available on the Marketplace. He also convened the "Pimp my Scripting Engine" workshop at Liferay's Devcon 2015, which I missed. But this only provided a perfect reason and excuse to speak to him.
As we recorded this on site at Devcon, you'll hear more background noise than usual - As usual, Auphonic did their best to clean the recording, and they did a great job.
For the visuals, please see the screenshots in this article as well as the plugin's homepage.
- The Elevator Pitch: What's Nabucco Script Center?
- Scripting in Liferay: The native script console, its use and its shortcomings (solved in NSC)
- a short demo of Script Center. It makes sense to check the screenshots alongside, or even install the plugin:
- Automatically run scripts (again, same example, this time executed automatically on every update of the article) - comparable to a model listener plugin for Liferay's Service Builder
- Scheduled Script execution. And basic sanity checks: When deactivating user accounts, you might want to have a few exceptions to your rules, e.g. in order to not lock out administrators that can help you gaining back control, but are not logging in every day.
- Prodyna has scripts available on the app's homepage - e.g. What happened during the last 24 hours? How many users logged in yesterday? Basic data on usage on the start page ("heartbeat"). Warn authors in time before review dates of their content. Assign permissions based on categorization of content.
- Fine grained permissions can be granted per script, e.g. just because you're able to upload/edit a script you might not be able to execute it - and vice versa.
- Feadback required - is this useful and what else is needed to make it more useful?
- How to develop without and with Script Center - where can it help you in your development process. Here are the slides that we talk about:
- Best Practices when implementing features in scripts: It's easy to accidentally make mistakes - there should be some basic safeguards.
- Script Center offers a third option to two customization approaches mentioned my earlier blog article
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. If you like this, make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on liferay.com/radio.
Or just download the MP3 here: