Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 60: Performance and Permissions with Preston Crary
An episode on the "Per" things: Performance and Permissions. I spoke to Preston Crary, who amazingly was not mad at me for losing an earlier recording.
- We open with the attention to detail that's required for working on performance tuning and some short conversation about this topic.
- Sadly, there's not often a single silver bullet, but many areas of dust.
- Sometimes the fastest code is not the most optimal
- Continuing with Preston's work on Permissions:
- ResourceBlock is deprecated, and there's an easy migration path
- an example upgrade path for bookmarks
- The usecase for Resources, ResourcePermission, and ResourceBlocks (as they're not at all visible on the UI)
- Preston's way through Liferay from Support to working on the topics that he's now working on
- The new API for Permissions - and the documentation is also done already (as of me writing this article, not yet published, but available on github - should be a matter of days or hours)
- Should you implement your own permission system? (and how the answer to this question might change in 7.1)
- Upgrades are being performance tuned. I smell a future episode coming up. Paging the team that is working on this area
- The remarkable memory savings that refactoring the UserBag introduced
- What happend during login
- Passwords are PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1/160/128000 hashed, a deliberately expensive password hashing algorithm.
- LPS-75747 and an update to my hardball question: Document Library's default.xml is still in core, can't be updated through a module, just through an ext.
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here:
Radio Liferay Episode 46: Thomas Schweiger on Coffee
The nerdiest topic so far: I'm speaking to Thomas Schweiger, german national barista champion 2010-2012. He was sponsored by our german partner Prodyna to prepare coffee during this years Devcon and Portal Solutions Forum Germany.
- What do you need to do to become Barista Champion?
- Can you describe upfront what your coffee will taste like when you prepare it?
- Importing coffee, roasting, drying, grinding and preparing
- Latte Art (learn it by just listening to this episode):
- Foam the milk to be a homogenous liquid - stop adding air at 30°C, then roll around the foam to get microbubbles. The really hard stuff is to determine when to drop the milk under the coffee's crema and start drawing images with the foam on top.
- Find Latte Art tutorials on Youtube (or find out what it actually is and what pictures people actually do)
- Shoutout to Wolfram Sorg, from Prodyna Sales, who is teaming up with Thomas
- Did you know you can be a coffee consultant? Thomas is. He's consulting on coffee farms, cafés and barista training.
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. If you like this, make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or leave your feedback on www.liferay.com/radio.
Or just download the MP3 here: