Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 60: Performance and Permissions with Preston Crary
An episode on the "Per" things: Performance and Permissions. I spoke to Preston Crary, who amazingly was not mad at me for losing an earlier recording.
- We open with the attention to detail that's required for working on performance tuning and some short conversation about this topic.
- Sadly, there's not often a single silver bullet, but many areas of dust.
- Sometimes the fastest code is not the most optimal
- Continuing with Preston's work on Permissions:
- ResourceBlock is deprecated, and there's an easy migration path
- an example upgrade path for bookmarks
- The usecase for Resources, ResourcePermission, and ResourceBlocks (as they're not at all visible on the UI)
- Preston's way through Liferay from Support to working on the topics that he's now working on
- The new API for Permissions - and the documentation is also done already (as of me writing this article, not yet published, but available on github - should be a matter of days or hours)
- Should you implement your own permission system? (and how the answer to this question might change in 7.1)
- Upgrades are being performance tuned. I smell a future episode coming up. Paging the team that is working on this area
- The remarkable memory savings that refactoring the UserBag introduced
- What happend during login
- Passwords are PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1/160/128000 hashed, a deliberately expensive password hashing algorithm.
- LPS-75747 and an update to my hardball question: Document Library's default.xml is still in core, can't be updated through a module, just through an ext.
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here:
Radio Liferay Episode 45: Bryan Ho on Design and Ray
I had a short meeting with Bryan Ho, Lead Graphic Designer at Liferay - With that role it's obvious that we're bridging the audio/visual gap again: A very visual topic in an audio only podcast. But if you're not driving while you listen to this podcast, you can click the links from the shownotes and browse through the archives.
Apart from being the creator of the Radio Liferay Logo, Bryan is the creator of "Ray's intergalactiv adventures". You can check out this series at https://www.liferay.com/ray.
- The history of Ray: He is an "old" mascot, has been around on the very old website
- Bryan started to get involved with Ray for a T-Shirt contest in 2010 and continued to draw him
- How Ray's intergalactic adventures were started (Shoutouts to Paul Hinz and Martin Yan)
- At Devcon Bryan created a lot of variations on Ray "on demand". You can find several of them on the flickr stream from that event.
- Luckily, Bryan keeps Ray around, for example on community T-Shirts, even though the cartoon series is currently on hyades.
- And other things that the design team works on (Website, Events, improve overall visual appearance)
Here's Ray listening to Radio Liferay:
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. If you like this, make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or leave your feedback on www.liferay.com/radio.
Or just download the MP3 here: