Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 60: Performance and Permissions with Preston Crary
An episode on the "Per" things: Performance and Permissions. I spoke to Preston Crary, who amazingly was not mad at me for losing an earlier recording.
- We open with the attention to detail that's required for working on performance tuning and some short conversation about this topic.
- Sadly, there's not often a single silver bullet, but many areas of dust.
- Sometimes the fastest code is not the most optimal
- Continuing with Preston's work on Permissions:
- ResourceBlock is deprecated, and there's an easy migration path
- an example upgrade path for bookmarks
- The usecase for Resources, ResourcePermission, and ResourceBlocks (as they're not at all visible on the UI)
- Preston's way through Liferay from Support to working on the topics that he's now working on
- The new API for Permissions - and the documentation is also done already (as of me writing this article, not yet published, but available on github - should be a matter of days or hours)
- Should you implement your own permission system? (and how the answer to this question might change in 7.1)
- Upgrades are being performance tuned. I smell a future episode coming up. Paging the team that is working on this area
- The remarkable memory savings that refactoring the UserBag introduced
- What happend during login
- Passwords are PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1/160/128000 hashed, a deliberately expensive password hashing algorithm.
- LPS-75747 and an update to my hardball question: Document Library's default.xml is still in core, can't be updated through a module, just through an ext.
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here:
Radio Liferay Episode 40: Our Upcoming Events. Hack 'em!
Radio Liferay is back with a repeat guest, James Falkner, Liferay's Community Manager. Like last year, symposium season is about to start (even though we already had some events earlier this year...). And there's something new, for the nerds and software craftsmen among you.
- The upcoming events, how to tell them apart and the target audience. In short: LPSF (Liferay Portal Solutions Forum) is targetted to business users, DevCon is targetted to Developers and technically interested people. Symposium has tracks for both groups.
- You'll find almost all of the upcoming events on Liferay's Events overview - filter for "Conferences". As of publication of this episode, the first brazil symposium is not yet on that list.
- Check if the event you want to go to still has an open Call For Paper. Some are still open the day that this episode is released.
- Final reminder: Unconference seats will be limited. Register early to make sure you get your seat.
- This year, we're going to provide access to the (anonymous) data that backs the events, and hope that you'll create an awesome mashup with this data. Refer to James' blog article "DIY: Liferay Events Hacks: Part 1" for details of the API and let us know if you need more help
- iBeacons and what to do with them at events. (Watch out for a part 2 of James' blog article)
- ...and other topics - but listen yourself... if you listen close enough, you might even hear a secret
Again, shoutout and big thank you to Auphonic for postproduction help. This is a fantastic service!
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. If you like this, make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or leave your feedback on www.liferay.com/radio.
Or just download the MP3 here: