Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 60: Performance and Permissions with Preston Crary
An episode on the "Per" things: Performance and Permissions. I spoke to Preston Crary, who amazingly was not mad at me for losing an earlier recording.
- We open with the attention to detail that's required for working on performance tuning and some short conversation about this topic.
- Sadly, there's not often a single silver bullet, but many areas of dust.
- Sometimes the fastest code is not the most optimal
- Continuing with Preston's work on Permissions:
- ResourceBlock is deprecated, and there's an easy migration path
- an example upgrade path for bookmarks
- The usecase for Resources, ResourcePermission, and ResourceBlocks (as they're not at all visible on the UI)
- Preston's way through Liferay from Support to working on the topics that he's now working on
- The new API for Permissions - and the documentation is also done already (as of me writing this article, not yet published, but available on github - should be a matter of days or hours)
- Should you implement your own permission system? (and how the answer to this question might change in 7.1)
- Upgrades are being performance tuned. I smell a future episode coming up. Paging the team that is working on this area
- The remarkable memory savings that refactoring the UserBag introduced
- What happend during login
- Passwords are PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1/160/128000 hashed, a deliberately expensive password hashing algorithm.
- LPS-75747 and an update to my hardball question: Document Library's default.xml is still in core, can't be updated through a module, just through an ext.
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here:
Radio Liferay Episode 38: Alberto Chaparro on the Migration tool for Portlets Version 6.1 to 6.2
I talked with Alberto Chaparro. Alberto works for Liferay as a support engineer on the spanish team. This conversation follows up on something that Iliyan mentioned in episode 37: The migration tool that will help you upgrade your portlet from 6.1 to 6.2. We're talking during the end of the symposium, so the background noise that you hear are people that are starting to break down the staff room.
- Alberto has helped Iliyan working on the upgrade tool that we spoke about in episode 37
- The tool helps upgrading AlloyUI JS, CSS and some JSP code from Liferay 6.1 to 6.2
- Alberto presented this tool at the spanish symposium
- The tool is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, Installation instructions are available in the tool / github repository
- It's been used on 100+ portlet plugins already, providing good service in the upgrade process. Sorry, this is the only plugin type that it's good for.
Again, shoutout and big thank you to Auphonic for postproduction help. This is a fantastic service!
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory.
Or just download the MP3 here: