Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 60: Performance and Permissions with Preston Crary
An episode on the "Per" things: Performance and Permissions. I spoke to Preston Crary, who amazingly was not mad at me for losing an earlier recording.
- We open with the attention to detail that's required for working on performance tuning and some short conversation about this topic.
- Sadly, there's not often a single silver bullet, but many areas of dust.
- Sometimes the fastest code is not the most optimal
- Continuing with Preston's work on Permissions:
- ResourceBlock is deprecated, and there's an easy migration path
- an example upgrade path for bookmarks
- The usecase for Resources, ResourcePermission, and ResourceBlocks (as they're not at all visible on the UI)
- Preston's way through Liferay from Support to working on the topics that he's now working on
- The new API for Permissions - and the documentation is also done already (as of me writing this article, not yet published, but available on github - should be a matter of days or hours)
- Should you implement your own permission system? (and how the answer to this question might change in 7.1)
- Upgrades are being performance tuned. I smell a future episode coming up. Paging the team that is working on this area
- The remarkable memory savings that refactoring the UserBag introduced
- What happend during login
- Passwords are PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1/160/128000 hashed, a deliberately expensive password hashing algorithm.
- LPS-75747 and an update to my hardball question: Document Library's default.xml is still in core, can't be updated through a module, just through an ext.
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here: