留言板

Any real tutorials on Liferay 7 development?

Julian Pfeil,修改在7 年前。

Any real tutorials on Liferay 7 development?

Junior Member 帖子: 72 加入日期: 16-3-1 最近的帖子
I just started with developing for Liferay 7.

So i started here with the "tutorial" https://dev.liferay.com/develop/tutorials/-/knowledge_base/7-0/introduction and went all way down to the Portlet-Chapter (I know it's not very far^^) because i wanted to make a portlet.

Then i did set up JPM, Blade CLI, Liferay IDE, did create my workspace and then.... Nothing then... Because the so-called tutorial is not really one. It just is a theoretical collection of written-out possibilities without real examples.
Ok, i read what an MVC Portlet is, what action-, render- and resource-commands are. And i know how to create a MVC Portlet Module from Liferay IDE (Eclipse). But that does not really help in what's next. There is so much un-comprehensive information all over the chapters about what to consider, how to do things in their own small domain and not how to get them right with examples in the great domain of an portlet (etc.)

This is not user(developer)-friendly. Especially if one is new to liferay development.

Then, by accident i reached the documentation for LRay 6.2... And voila... a real tutorial https://dev.liferay.com/develop/tutorials/-/knowledge_base/6-2/writing-your-first-liferay-application ...

Does something like that exist for liferay 7.0?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在7 年前。

RE: Any real tutorials on Liferay 7 development?

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14916 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Check out the blade samples, they will come in quite handy: https://github.com/liferay/liferay-blade-samples
allie brown,修改在7 年前。

New Member 发布: 1 加入日期: 16-6-9 最近的帖子
thanks for https://github.com/liferay/liferay-blade-samples tutorial.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer,修改在7 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 2871 加入日期: 06-8-31 最近的帖子
Hey Julian,

Thanks for your feedback. We are actually a bit behind in our developer documentation for Liferay 7 and I apologize for that.

We are publishing several tutorials weekly and we will soon (in the next few weeks) have the full tutorials that we are looking for. I'll ask the people working on it to notify you in this thread.
Julian Pfeil,修改在7 年前。

Thanks for both of your reactions.

I will take a look into the gradle-samples and more importantly, i will look forward to the full documentation.

Kind Regards
Julian Pfeil,修改在7 年前。

Any news on a practical start-to-end tutorial?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在7 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14916 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
No, but there's really never been one because, depending upon your requirements, you may need to pull together from so many, many different sources.

Take, for example, my recent blog on how to use ServiceBuilder with an external data source.

This one "how to" guy which explains a common need for portlet development, this blog is just less than 1,700 words and over 250 lines, but this is one minor aspect of an overall portlet development need.

Look at Liferay in Action; working through the entire book (for 6.1) you build some portlets, some hooks, some data access, and IIRC some theming, but that's a full book. I'm sure they're working on an update, but it's going to take them awhile to get it all together.

In the mean time there's the one-off examples from the blade site, there's all kinds of documentation on https://dev.liferay.com/, and then if you have some questions there's the forum here.

There's also Liferay training available, and of course there's the upcoming NAS as well as DEVCON where you can get some hands-on training and info.

There's lots of info available, it's just left to you to stitch it all together into a working tapestry.

Come meet me at the NAS!
Julian Pfeil,修改在7 年前。

David H Nebinger:
No, but there's really never been one because, depending upon your requirements, you may need to pull together from so many, many different sources.

Take, for example, my recent blog on how to use ServiceBuilder with an external data source.

This one "how to" guy which explains a common need for portlet development, this blog is just less than 1,700 words and over 250 lines, but this is one minor aspect of an overall portlet development need.

Look at Liferay in Action; working through the entire book (for 6.1) you build some portlets, some hooks, some data access, and IIRC some theming, but that's a full book. I'm sure they're working on an update, but it's going to take them awhile to get it all together.

In the mean time there's the one-off examples from the blade site, there's all kinds of documentation on https://dev.liferay.com/, and then if you have some questions there's the forum here.

There's also Liferay training available, and of course there's the upcoming NAS as well as DEVCON where you can get some hands-on training and info.

There's lots of info available, it's just left to you to stitch it all together into a working tapestry.

Come meet me at the NAS!

Guess i'll have to pull it together then.

Thanks so far!...

For the forum thing: i have this question still unanswered. Maybe you got an idea? emoticon

Kind Regards,
Julian
Evan Thomas,修改在7 年前。

New Member 帖子: 3 加入日期: 16-10-4 最近的帖子
I was just about to start an identical thread when I came across this. Same problem, documentation is basically non-existent (there is nothing to draw together, the blade examples are undocumented - I don't even know to get them running in my dev environment). I'm doing a side project for a not-for-profit there is no budget, and I don't have time, for attending training (even if there were any in my country). Forum posts go answered. LR seems like it has a lot of potential but the lack of support really lets it down.
thumbnail
Cody Hoag,修改在7 年前。

Junior Member 帖子: 70 加入日期: 12-4-26 最近的帖子
Hi Evan,

Thanks for your feedback. Liferay's documentation still has a few holes, but has made great progress over the last few months. We're fully committed to bolstering our docs now and in the future. Please let us know specific topics you're looking for, so we an make an effort to fix it.

For the Blade Samples, the lack of documentation has been addressed within the company and we're working hard to make sure every sample has its own README and Javadoc. You can take a look at the blade.controlmenuentry for a taste of what we'd like to provide for every sample. For now, you can refer to the repository's README, which has some topics documented and should be helpful. Summarized docs of the samples are also documented in the Liferay Sample Modules tutorial.

To build a sample and deploy it to a running Liferay 7.0 installation, navigate to a sample's directory (in the liferay-gradle or maven parent dir) using a command prompt. Then run the appropriate command to generate the deployable OSGi JAR: ./..gradlew build or mvn package.

For Gradle, the generated JAR is in the sample's /build/libs folder. For Maven, it's found in the /target folder. Copy the JAR to your Liferay installation's deploy folder and the project is successfully registered and usable in Liferay Portal.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在7 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 6403 加入日期: 08-9-23 最近的帖子
For getting your hands dirty with plain OSGi Declarative Services (non-Liferay related) you might want to try the tutorials at http://enroute.osgi.org. Plain OSGi knowledge helps to understand how to work with Liferay's extension points and the whole OSGi environment.
Rachael Knapp,修改在7 年前。

New Member 发布: 1 加入日期: 16-7-29 最近的帖子
Hi!!!!
I need some utility classes that will be common for three different Liferay portlets so I will develop them in one project that should be shared for my portlets.
Thanks,
thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在7 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 6403 加入日期: 08-9-23 最近的帖子
Rachael Knapp:
... I will develop them in one project that should be shared for my portlets.

Is this just letting us know that you're doing this? (just go ahead). Or was it supposed to become a question but you missed asking? Or is this just a means of posting a link to your site?
thumbnail
Jayaram pokuri,修改在7 年前。

New Member 帖子: 22 加入日期: 13-7-3 最近的帖子
Hi Julien,

you can access complete Liferay 7 tutorial at below link:

http://www.javasavvy.com/liferay-7-portlet-tutorial-part2/