留言板

Need help installing Liferay 7 with eclipse

thumbnail
Steve Milker,修改在7 年前。

Need help installing Liferay 7 with eclipse

New Member 帖子: 5 加入日期: 16-3-27 最近的帖子
Hello,

I have Liferay v 6.2 installed as a server in Eclipse with Tomcat.
For some reason I cannot create a Liferay v7 server, please help.

Thank you,
Steve
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在7 年前。

RE: Need help installing Liferay 7 with eclipse

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14916 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
You have to have the latest version of the Liferay ide.
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine,修改在7 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 2416 加入日期: 10-12-22 最近的帖子
David,

I'm not an eclipse user but I just want to make sure I have my facts straight -- to support Liferay 7, you need to have Liferay IDE 3.0 right?
thumbnail

Yep, the IDE 2.x line doesn't know anything about LR7, OSGi, etc.
thumbnail
Steve Milker,修改在7 年前。

Thank you for your help, I did see IDE 3 available so I tried downloading that version with Eclipse on my macBook.
(screen shot attached)
I believe the Eclipse download is corrupted so I could not install it.
https://web.liferay.com/downloads/liferay-projects/liferay-ide?_ga=1.72181456.254228444.1460604089

Sorry, I'm really trying but after numerous attempts this still failed and I'm getting frustrated.

I uninstalled everything on my mac so I have a clean slate, I even deleted settings stored setting on eclipse elsewhere following this thread...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/470261/uninstall-eclipse-under-osx

Could you please just send me to a step 1... step 2... directions on what I need to do to install Liferay 7?
Links to URL's on what I need to download?

I would even use a free version of IntelliJ IDEA if you think that is better.

I'm new to JAVA, I had some experience installing 6.2 watching your video and was able to install and create a plug-in theme following the tutorial with Eclipse.

I want to learn Liferay 7 and start creating a theme today if possible.

Please place me in contact with someone that could help me, or show me a video or steps needed to make this happen.

Thanks,
Steve
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine,修改在7 年前。

Hi Steve,

I haven't tried building a theme in LR7 yet myself but I have been looking at the documentation in preparation for it. LR7 as you might have read has some pretty drastic changes -- especially in terms of how plugins are developed. What that means is that it's near ground zero for a lot of us, even those who have been Liferay users/supporters for a while now.

I would start by going through the draft docs for LR7 themes (assuming you haven't already) -- https://dev.liferay.com/develop/tutorials/-/knowledge_base/7-0/introduction-to-themes

The IDE certainly makes development easier but really the GUI is just doing all the command line stuff for you. You can setup your Liferay Workspace and build tools without eclipse. I followed this guide:

First the Blade CLI, and then the Liferay Workspace: https://dev.liferay.com/develop/tutorials/-/knowledge_base/7-0/tooling

It's certainly not for the faint of heart. Documentation for these new approaches is still sparse and tutorials and guides even sparser so it will take a bit of patience to get through it.
thumbnail
Steve Milker,修改在7 年前。

Thanks Andrew,
Liferay 7 is really a nice new fresh UI for the frontend, and it looks to really have made some nice improvements so I want to start using it asap.
Looking at the download section on the Liferay site, they don't even offer 6.2 anymore so looks like Liferay is serious about the final release any day now.
I'm more of a designer than a coder so I need the video or step by step instructions to set up an environment. emoticon
I am comfortable using HTML5/CSS3/Bootstrap/Light (Javascript, jQuery) / All the Adobe tools Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.
I like the front end and building a responsive, well designed User Experience - Multimedia.

Visual Studio (.Net) it is a bit easier, the environment has less involvement when setting it up so I usually don't have to go through this much effort with all these settings.

I will look at Blade, I was used to Eclipse - crazy!
I just want to get up and running and build my Bootstrap responsive theme and show it to the customer.

Thanks for everyone's help, I hope I can get there soon, ARGGHHHH!
thumbnail
Jamie Sammons,修改在7 年前。

Expert 帖子: 297 加入日期: 14-9-5 最近的帖子
I will try to break down the issues by the different categories:

IDE 3 on a Mac
The error with IDE 3 on the Mac is due to the fact that Mac applications now require a digital signature from apple to run. Info on the issue and how to work around the issue can be found here.

The other thing you could do is install a vanilla version of Eclipse from Eclipse.org and add the IDE plugins via the updatesite. This method doesn't have the issue since vanilla Eclipse is digitally signed.

Installing a Liferay Bundle
Our Quick Start guide needs updated since it still uses Liferay 6.2: https://web.liferay.com/quick-start
We also have this guide on the Developer Network that is for 7: https://dev.liferay.com/discover/deployment/-/knowledge_base/7-0/installing-a-liferay-bundle

Its pretty much the same for Liferay 7 other than you must use JDK 8. I will work on getting the quick start updated for Liferay 7 as soon as possible.

Creating a Liferay Theme
For creating a theme Liferay IDE, Blade and Liferay Workspace are optional. You have the option of using the theme generator to create the theme and then editing it with the tool of your choice. Here is how I installed the theme generator on my Mac:
  • On a Mac I use Homebrew for installing Node: http://brew.sh/
  • Install node using Homebrew: brew install node4-lts
  • Update npm by running: npm install -g npm
  • Install the Theme Generator by running: npm install -g yo gulp generator-liferay-theme
  • Then create a new theme by running: yo liferay-theme
  • During the theme generation wizard it will prompt for the location of the Liferay bundle. Point it to where you extracted the bundle above.
  • You can use the gulp deploy and gulp watch commands for deploying the theme to the server.

Let me know if this helps.
-Jamie
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine,修改在7 年前。

Hey Jamie --

Liferay 7 requires JDK 8? are you sure? I am pretty sure that I have the GA1 release running on my machine with 1.7.0_79. I had to upgrade MySQL to a minimum of v5.6 -- but I didn't get any complaints about JDK.
thumbnail

I know that they are targeting 8 since 7 is now out of support by Oracle.
thumbnail
Jamie Sammons,修改在7 年前。

Expert 帖子: 297 加入日期: 14-9-5 最近的帖子
It may still work but from what I understand we are no longer officially supporting it. Please see Dave Truong's blog entry for more details: https://web.liferay.com/web/david.truong/blog/-/blogs/liferay-portal-7-0-will-be-based-on-java-8-
thumbnail
Anuvab Ghosh,修改在7 年前。

Regular Member 帖子: 130 加入日期: 15-4-18 最近的帖子
Hi,

David H Nebinger:
You have to have the latest version of the Liferay ide.

I am using the latest Liferay IDE (liferay-ide-eclipse-windows-x64-3.0.0-m3-201604151019.zip). But Liferay perspective is not shown in the perspective list in the IDE.

Please give some solution.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards,
Anuvab
thumbnail
Gaurav Jain,修改在7 年前。

Regular Member 帖子: 145 加入日期: 11-1-31 最近的帖子
Hi Anuvab,

Probably you have either not installed java8 or your ide is not picking it up as the default java vm.
And I believe not just Liferay perspective but as of now you could not see any Liferay related stuff in the IDE if above is the case!!