留言板

What if we change portal container

thumbnail
Vipin Bardia,修改在7 年前。

What if we change portal container

Regular Member 帖子: 162 加入日期: 11-2-28 最近的帖子
Hi All,

As Liferay 7 is over osgi and we are building JSR 286 portlets with osgi modules,
what possibilities we have to move on another JSR standard containers like webspere/redhat/etc.?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在7 年前。

RE: What if we change portal container

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14916 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Once you incorporate OSGi as a dependency, you are no longer building strict JSR 268 portlets. You're incorporating a container dependency so your only options will be containers that satisfy the dependency.

My own opinion - targeting pure JSR-286 is nonsense. The portlets themselves are too generic because they don't take advantage of features available in the different containers. Strict 286 compliance is necessary for a small slice of the portal landscape where multiple platforms must be supported and typically because you're a vendor selling a product for multiple containers. But if you're sticking to 286 because some day some one may want to try your portlet in another container, you're really limiting yourself today when your portlet is being used.
thumbnail
Vipin Bardia,修改在7 年前。

Regular Member 帖子: 162 加入日期: 11-2-28 最近的帖子
Thanks for the response David.

I agree with you that we should not go with pure JSR .

But even if we do not go with pure JSR, are there any available containers which supports osgi?
If we talk about migration from one product to another and we are fully incorporating osgi, will be able to build and deploy our modules(Portlets) with minimal changes?
thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在7 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 6403 加入日期: 08-9-23 最近的帖子
As the OSGi implementation of portlets is nonstandard, I'd argue in a different direction: Due to the nature of the @Component declaration and its relationship with portlet.xml, it should be trivial to generate a proper JSR-286 implementation from an OSGi portlet component. Even if you'll do it manually, you'd not have a lot of work to do. There will be far more work if you're leveraging any of the other features (API) of the current container of your choice. And typically every nontrivial portlet does so (e.g. for identity management)