留言板

Liferay 7 OSGi? Why?

thumbnail
William Gosse,修改在8 年前。

Liferay 7 OSGi? Why?

Liferay Master 帖子: 533 加入日期: 10-7-4 最近的帖子
I get the whole wanting to be more modular thing, but is going to OSGi the right choice? From what I see on the internet it seems to me that OSGi is somewhat dead because of its own complexity. I think JBoss has abandon its OSGi effort.

What does Liferay 7 OSGi mean for deploying to Tomcat? I read that SDK development deployed as wars is still possible but under the covers everything will get coverted to OSGi modules/bundles/plugins (take your pick). Will that work with all the currently support app servers?

I don't claim to be an OSGi expert so this whole post maybe out off line. I'm not sure if I really want to spend a lot of time using OSGi in order to use Liferay.
thumbnail
Ray Augé,修改在8 年前。

RE: Liferay 7 OSGi? Why?

Liferay Legend 帖子: 1197 加入日期: 05-2-8 最近的帖子
Hello William, I really appreciate your concerns and your questions. I hope I can answer most of them here.

The Why?
• It's because of Liferay's thousands of features were very hard to evolve individually not only from the features themselves, but from our growing team's perspective of ownership, independence, etc.
• It's because we want future versions of Liferay to evolve organically instead of landing on your lap like some kind of volcanic eruption (and I say this lovingly). i.e. we'd love to evolve a continuous release type of behaviour.
• It's because when a thing needs to be severely fixed, it's almost always better to just throw it away and write a better thing to replace it. But you can't just rewrite a portal just because a small thing needs to be re-designed.
• It's to give you the possibility to say "I like this thing and want to use it, but I don't want that other thing over there!"

About OSGi being dead!
• Any such arguments are really just FUD and I encourage you not to take other people's word for it, including my own, but really take a look at how modern OSGi is done for yourself and the problems it solves and don't discount it before doing that.

About JBoss and OSGi!
• Respectfully, the last time I looked JBoss wasn't the center of the universe and pretty much all the other app servers have OSGi cores not to mention tons of other products ranging from enterprise to embedded.

About deploying on Tomcat!
• What issue are you having? Aren't we still releasing bundles with tomcat? I'm pretty certain the last time I checked I was running Liferay on tomcat. In fact we're running on all our supported app servers, which granted we're still resolving some issues prior to release, but they are not deal breakers for those app servers. So expect Liferay with it's OSGi stuff to run on them.

About the SDK and deploying WABs (it's an OSGi spec for Webapps) and whether it's supported where Liferay is supported!
• I think that's what we've done, yes!

About spending time using OSGi to use Liferay!
• I think you will be pleasantly surprised so don't make any judgments until you've evaluated it for yourself. As of the recent area of OSGi its development is really quite brilliant. I really encourage you to take a look at budding projects like OSGi enRoute, the long standing flagship of OSGi development BND/Tools, and Liferay's very own upcoming BLADE Tools (coming soon). One of the goals is to try as much as possible to keep you well within your own comfort zone and have the minimal proprietary development paradigms as we can stand.

Sincerely,
- Ray
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14919 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
So there have been some classical issues with running a portal underneath an app server. These include dealing with class loaders, app server differences, etc. There has also been the classic issue of how to eliminate portions of the portal which no one needs/uses such as many of the OOTB portlets like polls, address book, currency converter, etc.

There are a lot of really good reasons to eliminate the app server as the container and adopt OSGi, even with it's complexity, as the portlet container. Unfortunately OSGi is really the only other game in town lest you are suggesting that Liferay build it's own implementation and they're way too far down the road for that (and it's not something I'd have gotten behind anyway).

What does the next Liferay release mean for deploying to Tomcat (or any other app server, really)? App server deployment starts to fall away. WAR Assets dropped into the deploy folder will be repackaged and deployed as WABs and will not go to the app server for deployment. You won't find them in the webapps directory any more and won't have to have app server specific deployment processes. This same conversion will apply to all of the app servers, not just tomcat.

Modularity is the "hype" behind the end goal of turning the portal into a pile of lego blocks, some of which you can easily remove, replace and augment. It's the buzz word that is the sales pitch to the business folks. For those of us implementing the next release, there should be a lot of really worthwhile reasons to hop on the band wagon...

OSGi aside, there's also going to be an updated bootstrap, updated AUI, updated toolset for building plugins as well as themes, improved APIs, improved javadocs, improvements in forms and workflow, modernized "classic" theme, automatic AJAXification of portlets to reduce number of full page refreshes and improve performance, new UI standardization based on Metal and Lexicon, ...

A heck of a lot more is in there than just OSGi... OSGi just happens to be the one aspect that will garner most of the discussion (probably both the positive and negative).
thumbnail
Olaf Kock,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 6403 加入日期: 08-9-23 最近的帖子
thumbnail
William Gosse,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Master 帖子: 533 加入日期: 10-7-4 最近的帖子
I want to thanks all of you for your answers to this question. They were very helpful in putting my mind at rest over this big change coming down the pike. I've been working with Liferay for almost 5 years now and look forward to continued improvements. I have a lot of respect for both David's and Olaf opinion because they help me out quite over these past years. So if they say this will be a good thing I'll take it on that. Thanks again.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14919 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Don't forget to give props to Ray!