留言板

Lirefay Lite required

Dennis Dennis,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

New Member 帖子: 23 加入日期: 05-9-29 最近的帖子
Let see what we have from the default package.<br />shopping, poll, mail, example, jcsv, im, reports portlets.....etc<br />4 themes, 30+ languages.<br /><br />It is too much in the core.<br /><br />Please split them into a standalone hot deploy war.<br />and leave us a empty, clean, literay liferay framework.<br /><br /><br /><br />Also, for Enterprise versions,<br />it did precomiled jsp for optimal, but not removing unused deployments.<br /><br />Does it need jboss hibernate deployer, aop, jms to work~&#33;?<br /><br />
cpedia cpedia,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

New Member 帖子: 7 加入日期: 05-8-5 最近的帖子
Let see what we have from the default package.<br />shopping, poll, mail, example, jcsv, im, reports portlets.....etc<br />4 themes, 30+ languages.<br /><br />It is too much in the core.<br /><br />Please split them into a standalone hot deploy war.<br />and leave us a empty, clean, literay liferay framework.<br />Also, for Enterprise versions,<br />it did precomiled jsp for optimal, but not removing unused deployments.<br /><br />Does it need jboss hibernate deployer, aop, jms to work~&#33;?<br />

<br />
<br /><br />agree&#33;&#33;
jmntn2000 jmntn2000,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

New Member 帖子: 4 加入日期: 05-6-14 最近的帖子
I couldn&#39;t agree more&#33;&#33; When deployed on JBoss it uses 500M of memory. I am tired of ripping everything out of liferay just to have a production version. I think the resources and speed of liferay with all of its bloat turn alot of people off on first glance. I know I ruled out liferay initially because of this.
Axyd Axyd,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

New Member 帖子: 5 加入日期: 05-4-5 最近的帖子
Agree&#33; The ligth version is necessary&#33;
Henrik Bentel,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Junior Member 帖子: 45 加入日期: 05-6-6 最近的帖子
I totally agree.<br /><br />Question is: What do we do about it?<br />As the saying goes, &quot;If you want something done, do it yourself&quot;.<br /><br /><br />One of the things I&#39;ve though about is to have the core portal build into <br />one EJB jar (speaking of the enterprise version), and all the add-on extras into a separate one.<br />This doesn&#39;t address the portlet war(portal-web-complete.war), just the backend.<br /><br />Also, split up the spring and hibernate config files files, one for the core stuff and one for the &quot;extras&quot;.<br />(Like liferay-hbm-core.xml and liferay-hbm-extras.xml)<br /><br />So even if I still have to do some manual &quot;ripping&quot; out, it would be easier to manage.<br /><br />Another issue I have is 2-3 of the portal&#39;s core services depend on services provided by portlets. <br />For example, to delete a user, the UserService contacts the BookmarService to delete the user&#39;s entries.<br />It also connects to a handfull of other &quot;extras&quot; services. <br />This &quot;binary&quot; dependency forces me to go in and edit the source code of the 2-3 Core services as I haven&#39;t found any other successfull way way of doing it.<br />One idea to address this is to provide a more generic messaging system, like JMS, which notifies when certain core events happens.<br />So when a user is deleted, group added, layout edited, etc, a message is posted to a JMS topic and any existing or new services can register with the JMS topic and act however they want. <br />Instead of having this logic inside the UserService or GroupService or LayoutService..<br /><br />Just my 2 cents<br /><br />-Henrik<br /><br />
Dennis Dennis,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

<br />Another issue I have is 2-3 of the portal&#39;s core services depend on services provided by portlets. <br />For example, to delete a user, the UserService contacts the BookmarService to delete the user&#39;s entries.<br />It also connects to a handfull of other &quot;extras&quot; services. <br />This &quot;binary&quot; dependency forces me to go in and edit the source code of the 2-3 Core services as I haven&#39;t found any other successfull way way of doing it.<br />One idea to address this is to provide a more generic messaging system, like JMS, which notifies when certain core events happens.<br />So when a user is deleted, group added, layout edited, etc, a message is posted to a JMS topic and any existing or new services can register with the JMS topic and act however they want. <br />Instead of having this logic inside the UserService or GroupService or LayoutService..<br /><br />Just my 2 cents<br /><br />-Henrik<br />
<br /><br /><br />The other problem is liferay developer is too lazy, greedy and self-confident.<br />Too lazy to separate non-core feature into war. <br />Too greedy and wanted to support all application server.<br />Too much confident to their &quot;ext&quot; development envirement.<br /><br /><br />I&#39;ve an idea, if we put eclipse like osgi framework into portal, it will be great.<br /><br />
thumbnail
Prakash Khanchandani,修改在8 年前。

RE: Lirefay Lite required

Expert 帖子: 329 加入日期: 11-2-10 最近的帖子
Dennis Dennis:
I've an idea, if we put eclipse like osgi framework into portal, it will be great.

I think this is being addressed in Liferay-7, but not sure yet if there would be a Liferay Lite version starting from Liferay-7 emoticon
thumbnail
Shepherd Ching,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Junior Member 帖子: 63 加入日期: 05-7-15 最近的帖子
To hbentel,<br /><br />I admire your quotation &#39;If you want something done, do it yourself&#39;<br /><br />Liferay developers has made an great opensource product for us to customize it EASILY.<br /><br />I have just deleted any portlet which I don&#39;t want and removed related lines of xml files such as portal.xml, liferay-portal.xml, liferay-display.xml, web.xml, strut-config.xml &amp; tiles-def.xml etc.,<br /><br />What is the core ? The answer is &quot;It depends&quot;<br />Liferay is based on Struts, hence I take regards struts as the core of Liferay.<br />On the other hand, Liferay includes portlets of Christianity as core features and other don&#39;t think so.<br /><br /><br />To Dennis,<br />It is easy to delete any portlet out of liferay if you CAN.<br /><br />Liferay developers has done their best to integrate different features together and show examples to us.<br />The point is only the lazy guy cannot make it lite.<br /><br />Shepherd Ching<br /><br /><br /><br />I&#39;ve an idea, if someone&#39;s idea can be made working by himself, it will be great.<br /><br />Shepherd Ching
Henrik Bentel,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Junior Member 帖子: 45 加入日期: 05-6-6 最近的帖子
I agree. Liferay is a great product and I haven&#39;t said it differently.<br /> I wouldn&#39;t be using it if I didn&#39;t like it &#33;&#33;<br /><br />One of the things I like about Liferay is that it heavily uses well known &quot;de-facto&quot; opensource projects. Just like thousands of other developers, I&#39;ve also used Spring, Struts and Hibernate all in different projects before. This makes it much easier for people with experience with these frameworks to figure out what&#39;s going on in Liferay when they have an issue. <br /><br />But I&#39;d like to help and see it get even better. And I&#39;m curious how many others there are &quot;out there&quot; who&#39;d like to see the same and get more involved. The more we talk about our issues about Liferay the better we can make it. <br /><br />Shepherd:<br />Deleting portlets or just even disabling portlets is easy. Anyone who reads the documentation <br />can figure that one out. And yes, customizing the frontend look-n-feel is easy and very powerful. Liferay developers has done a great job there.<br /><br />But sometimes that&#39;s not enough. There is more to Liferay underneath the covers that people would like to change for their deployment. In some cases it&#39;s a matter of better documentation. (Like I wrote my own ServicePreAction class that had the same package name as the liferay PreServiceAction class so that I could change Liferay&#39;s behaviour. Until I randomly scrolled down a few hundred lines in porlet.properties and saw I could just write my own and specify it in the ext file.)<br />But in other cases it can be things not currently covered. Going forward I&#39;d like to see an even more flexible, better documented Liferay. Make it easier to get people involved. To me this is key for a growing adoption of Liferay itself and portal servers in general.<br /><br />I read in one of the comments in the issue tracker that 4.0 probably will not be out until after years end. And this was due to some major changes/refactoring. But I&#39;ve found very little about Liferay&#39;s future other than that comment. I regularly download the CVS head to make sure I stay compatible before the next release comes out and I haven&#39;t seen anything radical yet.<br /><br />So to the Liferay developers:<br />Where is Liferay going and what can I do to help?<br />Testing? doucmentation? bug fixes? <br />I&#39;m currently heavily into JSF portles and I&#39;d love to see this supported better and better documented.<br /><br /><br />thanks for all the great work so far.<br />Henrik<br /><br />
thumbnail
Shepherd Ching,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Henrik,<br /><br />I really enjoy to chat with you because I like to learn knowledges from discussion. I agree with you that &quot;the more we talk about our issues, the better we can make it&quot;. <br />I also wonder how many others there are &quot;out there&quot; who have just scratched from surface and then make comments. And how many other fans get more involved and discuss in detail.<br /><br /><br />I have used Jetspeed 1.x (Velocity based), PostNuke (PHP based) and DotNetNuke (ASP .Net based) before. <br />Finally I have studying Liferay since 2003. The learning curve of Liferay is long because it involved many libraries, struts, spring, hibernate, quartz, ant, cvs, velocity, .... JSF and laszlo examples have just added recently. <br />Actually studying others portal are the same: JBoss portal, Exo, Pluto, Sharepoint, Sun, Weblogic or Oracle portals, all of them is tough: no pain, no gain.<br /><br />Although we wish more Liferay documentation, clear coding is the same important. Liferay&#39;s coding is clear as I can understand it. (P.S. clear coding doesn&#39;t mean good coding, some Java guru has complained too many ActionForm in Liferay and then they optimized it by themselves)<br /><br /><a href="http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=36575" target="_blank">http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=36575</a><br /><br /><br />There is no perfect framework because the newer is coming such as new JSF may be better than old Struts. Or we may find Liferay ejb generator is not handy because XDoclet has not yet released at that time. <br />The point is that open source is required more workers to contribute their effort to improve. <br />Suggestion is good but solution is more better. It&#39;s easier said than done.<br /><br /><br />This is an open discussion, anyone may require anything at anytime at anywhere. Dennis may require open source Liferay developers to make a free of charge lite version. I may make a suggestion to Dennis to pay Liferay to make a lite version for him.<br /><br />I have read a message of newsgroup long time ago, the member require a bug-free version.<br /><br /><br />Shepherd Ching
thumbnail
David Truong,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Expert 帖子: 322 加入日期: 05-3-24 最近的帖子
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the input. We&#39;ve already had ideas of either offering a lite version of liferay or even possibly rewriting a new lite version but unfortunately we are not a multimillion dollar company so we dont have the resources to do a project like this. Dennis, please stop making comments about the company if all you can say is negative untruthful comments. Our company is extremely small and this is our fulltime job not some side project someone decided to do. We have to prioritize what is best for the company and we have to mouths to feed, bills and tuitions to pay for just like anyone else. If one day someone decides to take care of these things for us, we&#39;ll be more than happy to provide free support to everyone and focus entirely on offering features everyone wants... our product is free... if you dont like it or dont like the developers you can use something else because it didnt cost you anything<br />
Dennis Dennis,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Hi guys,<br /><br />I read someone understand me, and some may not.<br /><br />It was not a command to liferay company, it is a request to liferay development community.<br /><br />I am happy to see liferay (and the company) being better. But I am also love to see somebody else create a life version to the public.<br /><br />I also hope I can have time and deep knownage in liferay, so that I can do I myself, but I don&#39;t have neither time or fully understand it.<br /><br />It is truth liferay&#39;s learning cycle is long and tough. And hard to refactoring.<br />But it is many more we can do before these happen.<br /> e.g. <br /> Tell people read the portal.properties,<br /> new feature written in hot-deploy war<br />It is really do hard to do?<br /><br />But I still talk what I think. I always have new idea in my mind. Do I need say how good liferay is before say what is bad and wanted to improve it everytime??<br /><br />This is a forum, right? I think this level of negative comments are still in acceptable range..<br /><br />Yes, ofcouse I am too lazy, and almost every computer guy are lazy. They want computer finish their own work, isn&#39;t it?<br /><br />(beside, I am poor in english, forgive me if I wrote wrong sentence)
thumbnail
Shepherd Ching,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Hi, there,<br /><br />I find someone mis-understand me and someone may not.<br /><br />It is a forum, anyone can say anything at anytime at anywhere. It doesn&#39;t matter for anyone to have any idea, any suggestion or any comment there. I say back to Dennis on the strength of his way of speaking.<br /><br />The only problem is &quot;Dennis is too lazy, greedy and self-confident&quot;.<br />Too lazy to separate non-core features.<br />Too greedy to wish another one to do it for free.<br />Too much confident of his excuses: no time, no knowledge and idea like this, idea like that, blah, blah, blah....<br /><br />It is really hard to write a guide to be suitable for everyone.<br /><a href="http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=36575" target="_blank">http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=36575</a><br /><br /><br />Here is the steps what I have done to make Liferay lite and I don&#39;t care Dennis get understood or not.<br />After unzip the source:<br />1. Remove any lines of unwanted portlet at those files: struts-config.xml, tiles-def.xml, portlet.xml, liferay-display.xml, liferay-portlet.xml, struts-config-ext.xml, tiles-def-ext.xml.<br />1. Delete any portlet directory you don&#39;t want under directory portal-ejb<br />2. Delete any portlet directory you don&#39;t want under directory portal-web<br />3. Delete any line with unwanted portlet name of build.xml under the root directory of source.<br />4. Rebuild it<br /><br /><br />Actually, Exo, Jahia and JBoss provide core portal. However their license do not allow to rehash their brand name. You must declare them to your customers. Liferay and Pluto are different that you may hide their name and show off your PRODUCT to your client.<br /><br />Yes, of course I am too greedy, and almost every business man are greedy. They wish to earn computer guys&#39; workdone, isn&#39;t it ?<br />(Besides, I am poor in communication, forgive me if I am impolite to Dennis)<br /><br />Shepherd Ching
Frerk Meyer,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Junior Member 帖子: 32 加入日期: 05-10-26 最近的帖子
Hi Shepherd Ching,<br /><br />Many thanks for your quick receipt how to create<br />a liferay portal lite edition. This would be one of the<br />kind of articles that would make it in the first pages<br />of a liferay development community wiki.<br /><br />I see what I can do about it.<br /><br />Frerk Meyer<br />
keidav keidav,修改在18 年前。

Lirefay Lite required

Junior Member 帖子: 37 加入日期: 04-8-18 最近的帖子
All,<br /><br />I will agree with Dennis&#39; first statement at the top of this topic. I would also like to see the &quot;extra&quot; portlets removed from the core distribution and made available in a separate package. It is not being lazy asking for this. I have used Liferay to build a product for the US government. Every upgrade required re-editing certain files and removing the religious portlet refs and database objects (I have to do this for the client, separation of church and state in the ole USA).<br /><br />It is because of some of these issues that I am investigating moving some projects to the JBoss portal or Plone. Although the JBoss product is very immature compared to Liferay, I can download the source from CVS, build and deploy a clean minimal portal in under 10 minutes. No extensive configuration required. I only say this as I am one those developers that uses Liferay as an empty container for my client specific portlets. I don&#39;t use anything other than the base admin portlets that come with the portal. <br /><br />Brain and his crew have created an outstanding product in many ways. I have contributed a bit of code here and there to help out. Keep up the good work&#33;<br /><br />BTW, CVS HEAD, the MySQL script doesn&#39;t work with MySQL 5.0, lots of insert errors at the end of the script.<br /><br />-Keith