留言板

Liferay new releases, patches automatic download

thumbnail
Dániel Szabó,修改在8 年前。

Liferay new releases, patches automatic download

New Member 帖子: 3 加入日期: 15-2-10 最近的帖子
Hello!

I am currently thinking on a method, to get notification and even download new Liferay releases, patches and other downloads automatically.

So I'd like to ask, isn't there a way to retrieve newly released downloads in a simple way? emoticon

Thank you in advance.
Dániel
thumbnail
Samuel Kong,修改在8 年前。

RE: Liferay new releases, patches automatic download

Liferay Legend 帖子: 1902 加入日期: 08-3-10 最近的帖子
If you have a EE subscription, take a look at fix pack management feature of Liferay Connected Services
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14914 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
No. And honestly you probably shouldn't do this.

Every release comes with bug fixes, sure, but sometimes code that is built that depends upon current code operating in a particular way, when that way changes because it might have been "fixed", it can end up breaking your code. For each release, especially for production, you should test out with your current code etc. and make sure it will continue to work as expected.

Also you can't expand, for example, GA5 over GA4 when it comes out while the system is running, if you do then any hooked JSP files will be permanently broken (when the server is shutting down the unhooked JSP is restored wiping out the hooked version which, after expansion, is was actually the version of the file from GA5). Some OSes will lock the jar files that are open so you might not even be able to overwrite some jars w/o manual intervention.

Basically this is not like your desktop system. You can install a patch in windows and, should something fail and you get a blue screen of death, you're only out one PC and some time/effort to recover or restore.

If you install a patch and, for some reason, your portal breaks you're taking it out of circulation for your entire user base. This incurs losses in time, money and the precious 5-9 uptime rating and no one in or out of your organization will be happy.

So sure, it sounds like a good idea, but in practice even if it was available most people wouldn't touch it...

Connected services, to me that's really a special case. There you have the EE software, you have a service contract in place and the connected services updates are tested before they go out. And, should something bad happen, you have a lifeline with Liferay to help get you back up and running. A similar thing for CE, well there you'd be up on the high wire w/o any sort of safety net while juggling running chainsaws...
thumbnail
Dániel Szabó,修改在8 年前。

New Member 帖子: 3 加入日期: 15-2-10 最近的帖子
Thank you for the answers!
To be honest, i was just thinking of a method, just to download these patches, etc. - without installing them to the portal.

Thank you for the quick reply emoticon
Dániel