留言板

accessibility issues in liferay portal 6.2

Michał Zegan,修改在10 年前。

accessibility issues in liferay portal 6.2

New Member 帖子: 3 加入日期: 14-1-2 最近的帖子
Hello!

I am a blind person using NVDA screenreader and firefox, wanting to install liferay-6.2 and build a website for managing open-source (usually) projects integrated with things like gerrit/bugzilla/etc.
I've installed liferay on wildfly with minor problems, but all went good.
When trying to learn it, I found accessibility issues, some of them major. Any thoughts on them?

1. Starting from the least important for me: I'm not using google chrome, but I've tested it today and I couldn't see labels on menus like admin, my account, add/import/export in site admin, etc.
2. I'm using a netbook, and the responsive theme is a big problem, because when the window is in normal state, some things are collapsed and need to be expanded like sign-in buttons etc.
No problem with that, but there are things that cannot be done this way, like when going to site pages I cannot add a page because I do not see the menu with options and cannot expand it in any possible way.
When the browser window is maximized, everything is okay unless it's a popup, pop ups behave like normal pages in unmaximized browser, so getting to my account > my pages gives the same problems, also I cannot add structures, templates/etc, those windows are pop ups and I don't see the add button because it's collapsed somewhere, I cannot expand it, the only thing I can expand is a search box.
3. Unknown problems in the wysiwyg editor, or actually I know about one: when I insert a link and then navigating through the editor using arrows, the editor reads the line with a link up to the place where the link starts and nothing more.
Going to the link with arrow keys (left/right) works and allows me to normally edit it/etc.
I'm not sure if I didn't forget about something important, but those issues are major and some of them have no workarounds.
Is it possible for them to be fixed in 6.2?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在10 年前。

RE: accessibility issues in liferay portal 6.2

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14914 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
Sorry, Michal, but Liferay has not historically been completely 508 compliant.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer,修改在10 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 2871 加入日期: 06-8-31 最近的帖子
Hey Michal,

Welcome to the Liferay community! It's particularly good to see more blind people join it emoticon

I'm sorry that you are finding those issues. We do our best to test accessibility but we find it hard to find beta testers with specific disabilities to capture all potential issues. I have forwarded your post to Julio Camarero, our WCM Lead engineer and the person responsible of our accessibility efforts so that he can make sure those issues are reviewed.

We are actually just starting a collaboration with a University which is very strong in Accessibility knowledge and tests to take Liferay a leap further in terms of support of both WCAG 2.0 and ATAG 2.0, so your feedback is really useful.

Please keep posting about any issue that you find and we will do our best to fix it as soon as possible.
thumbnail
Julio Camarero,修改在10 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 1668 加入日期: 08-7-15 最近的帖子
Hi Michal,

your feedback is extremely valuable for us. We are definitively going to have a look at the issues you mentioned and we will make our best to include them as part of our next release (maybe they can also be applied as a hot deployable hook).

I wonder if some of the issues you are mentioning are only reproducible with NVDA and firefox.... screenreaders behave sometimes different and we find it hard to test things in all of them.... anyway, I have some questions:

• Where are these menus? The ones I just tested seemed to have labels but I probably didn't use the same as you. Can you provide more details about where to find these links?
  • The missing sign in is a clear bug in the responsive theme. I will open a ticket for each of those I can reproduce and I will ask you about the others tomorrow.
  • I wonder if these issues come from CKEditor or the way we use it. CKeditor claims to be fully accessible in their website, could you please verify if you can find the same issues in their demo?

Thanks a ton and welcome to the Community! emoticon
Michał Zegan,修改在10 年前。

I wanted to build a website and I was actually forced to use a php cms to do it at this time, although I would like to see some liferay's features including a wiki and site/page templates anyway, this portal thing is functionally the best thing I've seen and would be happy to see it accessible.

For question 1: the menus inaccessible in chrome do have labels, but only when firefox is used. The screenreader actually sees them like one element with a label and one without or something similar.
Actually try using nvda/firefox to read the menu with functions like add/edit/review of a page, they are not labelled unless I'll hover a mouse over them.
For question 3, I can confirm that this bug is present in the demo.
thumbnail
Julio Camarero,修改在10 年前。

Thanks a lot for your quick response Michal!

I have created the issues I have been able to verify in our issue tracker and prioritized them so that they are fixed by the team as soon as possible:

Feel free to subscribe to the issues to be notified of their progress. You can also create new issues on your own there. Just make sure to use the Component "accessibility" so that we prioritize them properly.

For the bugs in ckeditor, I am not sure what is the best strategy we can follow. Ckeditor is a third party product we use that claims to be fully accessible... so I see two options:
  • We can report the issues in their issue tracker
  • We can use another text editor in the portal (Liferay comes integrated by default with ckeditor, fckeditor and tinymce but it is very easy to integrate other editors). Do you know of another editor which works better for you?

Regarding the labels, I am on a mac and can't test it with NVDA, but I have been testing it with ChromeVox and it seems to work fine, I am not being able to reproduce it. Have you ever tried ChromeVox? I usually find it much better than NVDA when browsing websites and I tend to think this issue might be a bug in NVDA not being able to read links with a <i> tag inside.

Thanks a lot!
Michał Zegan,修改在10 年前。

On a mac, test it with voice over if you can, it's also a good thing to do.
I do not know other editors and their accessibility.
I don't normally use google chrome or ie, I use firefox.
Other problems I see: posting them here for completenes:
The expand thing for add/edit menu in the page looks similarly to the sign in button,
and also this drag and drop thing affects structures,
and lastly when editing them in source mode, I do not see the text in the editor even though I should be able to see it.

Julio Camarero:
Thanks a lot for your quick response Michal!

I have created the issues I have been able to verify in our issue tracker and prioritized them so that they are fixed by the team as soon as possible:

Feel free to subscribe to the issues to be notified of their progress. You can also create new issues on your own there. Just make sure to use the Component "accessibility" so that we prioritize them properly.

For the bugs in ckeditor, I am not sure what is the best strategy we can follow. Ckeditor is a third party product we use that claims to be fully accessible... so I see two options:
  • We can report the issues in their issue tracker
  • We can use another text editor in the portal (Liferay comes integrated by default with ckeditor, fckeditor and tinymce but it is very easy to integrate other editors). Do you know of another editor which works better for you?

Regarding the labels, I am on a mac and can't test it with NVDA, but I have been testing it with ChromeVox and it seems to work fine, I am not being able to reproduce it. Have you ever tried ChromeVox? I usually find it much better than NVDA when browsing websites and I tend to think this issue might be a bug in NVDA not being able to read links with a <i> tag inside.

Thanks a lot!
thumbnail
Julio Camarero,修改在10 年前。

Thanks again for all your help Michal!

I have tested the labels you mentioned with VoiceOver today and they all seem to work fine too. I will ask some guys in the team today to test with NVDA on windows. I tend to think more strongly that this is a bug in NVDA with the way they handle links, if that's the case we will report it in NVDA issue tracker.

Regarding CKEditor, would you be able to post the issue you mentioned in CkEditor issue tracker? I don't fully understand the issue and they will probably want to reach you if they need more help to understand it. We will make sure to update our ckeditor once they fix the issue and release it.

Regarding the issues we opened yesterday, I think you will be happy to know that one is already fixed in the master branch, and another two have been fixed by the developer and are now in the review phase.

About the new issues you mention in your last post, I just created them in our issue tracker, feel free to open more yourself:

Thanks!
thumbnail
Daniel Tyger,修改在8 年前。

Regular Member 帖子: 105 加入日期: 13-2-6 最近的帖子
Two years + have passed since this exchange - are these issues resolved in the available 6.2 software today?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger,修改在8 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 14914 加入日期: 06-9-2 最近的帖子
So, here's the thing. Except for the drag w/ keyboard issue, to me these are all theme issues.

If I were to, say, update one theme to address all of these things but don't do them in all themes, well then the answer is going to be no.

Your theme really controls most of your 508 compliance.