留言板

Best Approach for storing and streaming videos.

thumbnail
sachin maheshwari,修改在10 年前。

Best Approach for storing and streaming videos.

Junior Member 帖子: 52 加入日期: 10-12-4 最近的帖子
Hi,

I am using Liferay6.1.2 EE, i have around 100s of videos in my portal.

what is the best Approach??. should i store them in DML or should i go for separate streaming server.

Can anybody tell me the pros and cones.
thumbnail
Ahmed Hasan,修改在10 年前。

RE: Best Approach for storing and streaming videos.

Expert 帖子: 306 加入日期: 07-4-13 最近的帖子
Hi Sachin,

You can take either of these approaches based on your requirement and other parameters.

In the first approach, you can store the videos in the "Documents and Media" portlet and play them on the site using a video player like flow player. In this approach, the video will be served directly from your LR server and the performance may not really great.

In the second approach, you can upload these videos to the cloud something similar to Amazon S3 and serve them through a CDN like CloudFront. On the LR side, create structure and template to specify the end-point URL of these videos and eventually run them to the player that is installed on the LR side.

Soon, i will share a blog that covers how to run a video from with in LR.

Yours truly,
Ahamed Hasan
Author, Liferay Portlet Cookbook
thumbnail
sachin maheshwari,修改在10 年前。

Junior Member 帖子: 52 加入日期: 10-12-4 最近的帖子
Ahmed Hasan:
Hi Sachin,

You can take either of these approaches based on your requirement and other parameters.

In the first approach, you can store the videos in the "Documents and Media" portlet and play them on the site using a video player like flow player. In this approach, the video will be served directly from your LR server and the performance may not really great.

In the second approach, you can upload these videos to the cloud something similar to Amazon S3 and serve them through a CDN like CloudFront. On the LR side, create structure and template to specify the end-point URL of these videos and eventually run them to the player that is installed on the LR side.

Soon, i will share a blog that covers how to run a video from with in LR.

Yours truly,
Ahamed Hasan
Author, Liferay Portlet Cookbook

Thanks a ton Hasan..

I am looking forward for your blog on LR videos.

Also i would really appreciate if you can provide me some references for both approaches.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez,修改在10 年前。

Liferay Legend 帖子: 3089 加入日期: 08-10-28 最近的帖子
Hi sachin,

Since Liferay 6.1, you can use the video and audio preview .

In 6.2 you should be able to add uploaded videos through CKEditor (similar as images).

This approach has two main advantages from others:

• You don't have to care about what videos are uploaded. Liferay will convert them to needed format..
  • Videos can be played in 100% of browsers, using HTML5 (current FF, Chrome, IE >=9, Android, IPad, IPhone) and non-HTML5 using Flash player (IE <9).
  • You can make use of seek functions without having to download the whole video.

Hope it helps.