留言板

Creating and formatting content in HTML ready for Liferay

thumbnail
Aidil Goh,修改在12 年前。

Creating and formatting content in HTML ready for Liferay

New Member 帖子: 6 加入日期: 11-9-14 最近的帖子
Hi all,

My name is Aidil and I'm a front end designer. My question might seem a bit trivial, but I need to communicate this to my teem on how best to create content.

We've just begun a web portal redesign for a big company. Their current portal consists nothing much than just plain old html files created in dreamweaver or somekind of editor. No CMS whatsoever.

For the redesign, we've decided to use Liferay for future ease of updating content on the clients side. We're now in the initial stages of assessing the current content, and reformatting the current content so that it'll be ready to be inserted into liferay.

Here's where I'd like to ask for the community's help. I'm suggesting the developers to format the content something like this:

<div id="content">
<h1>About Us</h1>
<p>What we're all about is...</p>

<h2>Our Background</h2>
<p>We started in 1920...</p><p>

</p><h3>Our background - The founders</h3>
<p>Two people met and magic happened. Let's get to know them: </p><p>

</p><h4>Mr Big Man</h4><h5>Credentials</h5>
<p>He had a humble beginning as a bus boy. Bla bla bla </p>

<h4>Mr Hotshot</h4><h5>Credentials</h5>
<p>What else can we say about this guy. Bla bla bla</p>
</div>

Instead the developers are adamant about formatting the content kinda like this:

<div class="title">About Us</div>
<div class="text">What we're all about is...</div>

<div class="subtitle">Our Background</div>
<div class="text">We started in 1920...</div>

<div class="subsubtitle">Our background - The founders</div>
<div class="text">Two people met and magic happened. Let's get to know them: </div>

<div class="subsubsubtitle">Mr Big Man</div>
<div class="subsubsubsubtitle">Credentials</div>
<div class="text">He had a humble beginning as a bus boy. Bla bla bla </div>

<div class="subsubsubtitle">Mr Hot Shot</div>
<div class="subsubsubsubtitle">Credentials</div>
<div class="text">What else can we say about this guy. Bla bla bla</div>

From this could you guys help me determine:
1. Which one is more search engine optimised?
2. Which is easier for the client to edit in the future?
3. Which is better when comes to designing the look and feel for the content?

Really really appreciate you guys helping me emoticon
Thanks!

edit: forgot to close the <div> tag in the first example
thumbnail
Ravi Kumar Gupta,修改在12 年前。

RE: Creating and formatting content in HTML ready for Liferay

Liferay Legend 帖子: 1302 加入日期: 09-6-24 最近的帖子
I would suggest to go with structures and templates to create web contents. [if you have fix pattern for each page content]
For the formatting, you can go with any, I guess, since with css you can get same effect on view.
For SEO, I have not much idea but second one seems better to me.. http://www.webconfs.com/seo-tutorial/seo-and-content.php#What Is Good Content?

Correct me if anything is wrong.. emoticon
thumbnail
Aidil Goh,修改在12 年前。

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Permit me to maybe clarify a bit further...

I would suggest to go with structures and templates to create web contents. (if you have fix pattern for each page content.)

No doubt we'll create proper structures and templates for the contents. I'm foreseeing that different kinds of pages e.g. 'Contact Us' will be a bit different than say 'About Us'.

For the formatting, you can go with any, I guess, since with css you can get same effect on view.

As a designer looking at the code, I'd rather work on defining classes for proper HTML tags e.g. using a <p> tag when it's meant to be a paragraph. Or a <h2> tag when it's supposed to be a title. If the paragraph needs to look a bit different from all other paragraphs then I'd do <p class="special-paragraph">. Makes more sense to me than working on a bunch of only <div> tags.

For SEO, I have not much idea but second one seems better to me.. http://www.webconfs.com/seo-tutorial/seo-and-content.php#What Is Good Content?

I too know not much about SEO, however after a bit of researching, it might be helpful for SEO purposes to use the proper H tags. http://goo.gl/E3jZL
Also aids in accessibility http://goo.gl/y949w

Thanks!
Still eager to know what others think.
thumbnail

There is a slight different opinion when it comes to set rules for html tags directly.. and that if the rules are not properly scoped, they will be applied for all existing content as well(existing liferay setup..). Also, if a new content is added, which need default behavior of p, h1 etc.. and that is not scoped properly.. then it can be a mess..

When I say scoped it is like this..
<div id="main">
<h1>...</h1>
<p>...</p>
</div>

rules for this I would apply like
#main p{
}
#main h1{
}
This way it doesn't affect others.. without using id before a rule may ruin others work..

Now, one more thing, I like using classes because in that case I dont have to think of many ids. On a single page, ideally id should be unique. So in that case keeping multiple webcontent with same id, may not be wise.. emoticon

Would love to hear more views on this.. emoticon
thumbnail
Aidil Goh,修改在12 年前。

So if I get you right, you'd maintain the H and the P tags but wrap it up in a div with a unique ID

When I say scoped it is like this..
<div id="main">
<h1>...</h1>
<p>...</p>
</div>

rules for this I would apply like
#main p{
}
#main h1{
}
This way it doesn't affect others.. without using id before a rule may ruin others work..

Looks like we're on the same page here...emoticon
thumbnail

Wait wait wait.. thats not what I mean.. I would go with individual divs with classes as in 2nd method in your question.. but if I am somehow choosing this first way.. I will wrap it up with div.. emoticon But I recommend the second one.. emoticon