Welcome to Radio Liferay, a peek into what is going on in Liferay from the people doing it themselves.
Radio Liferay Episode 58: Jorge Ferrer continued
Two episodes (or an eternity) ago, I spoke to Jorge Ferrer, Liferay's VP of Engineering. We didn't have enough time to finish the conversation, so we continued a while after - and then I buried the recording /o\. Anyway, apart from it being still from "before the release of the current version", it's still relevant stuff, I feel bad about missing to post it. Check for yourself - here it finally is.
We're talking about these (and more) topics
- Microservices vs Monoliths
- Buzzword or breeze of fresh air?
- DHH The Majestic Monolith
- Approach this technology option like any other
- If you can't build a monolith, you are probably getting an even bigger mess if you approach microservices
- Milen's presentation: Microservices and Modularity or the difference between treatment and cure (or on youtube)
- Shortly before the release many modules were moved around and renamed. We talk about the reasons and what this meant for the translations
- What's the meaning of "Feature-Complete"?
- A lot of Feedback starts to come in during the Beta Cycle
- Nitpicking on the Beta Criteria: JBoss and Upgrade Routines
- Lookahead on the next episode on Performance Tuning
- Releaseplans (of course, I could have retrofitted an exact release date...)
- What's it like to be hired into Liferay Engineering?
- office envy
- shared spaces, decoration, own desks, separate working environments, inspiration, agora
- Is it forbidden to write Javadoc?
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. Make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or find everything about Radio Liferay on radioliferay.com.
Or just download the MP3 here
Radio Liferay Episode 48: James Falkner on Release Plans and the 6.2 CE GA3 release
A short Inbetweenisode on the release of 6.2 CE GA3 with repeat guest and Community Manager James Falkner. During Devcon James promised the release for the 15. January - while I stated that this release date was wishful thinking. Now we actually hit the promised release date for the first time known to both of us. Enough reason to get together and talk about the underlying cause and intents.
We're talking about general release practice and the plan that was put together last October, how Liferay CE will be delivered and how we're preparing to meet the promise. There's a 6 month release plan for new CE releases - and there will continue to be only one updated version of CE, e.g. once 7.0 is out, there won't be any more updates to 6.2 CE. If you need long term stability and support you should shoot for an Enterprise Edition subscription. This ensures your support for 5 years from release.
We also talk about the next release dates, how to get issues scheduled for that release (hint: Get votes on the issue, talk about it). Also, you get new ideas and features into the next release by rolling the drum for your idea - file an issue and do some marketing for it. This way it will float to the top and get recognized.
James has a quite thorough blog article about the content of 6.2 GA3 which contains quite a lot of fixed issues and - as is typical for maintenance releases - no new features.
To keep up to date on what to expect for Liferay 7.0, keep an eye on the milestones (coming out every 2 months) and Jorge's blog articles about them.
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioLiferay. You can also subscribe on itunes.: Just search for "Radio Liferay" or just "Liferay" in the podcast directory. If you like this, make sure to write a review for the podcast directory of your choice - or leave your feedback on www.liferay.com/radio.
Or just download the MP3 here: