Fórum

PLEASE don't close "Inactive" issues

thumbnail
Tobias S. Käfer, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

PLEASE don't close "Inactive" issues

Regular Member Postagens: 128 Data de Entrada: 28/03/08 Postagens Recentes
I just received three emails about issues, that have been closed, because nothing has happened in a while:
This ticket is being closed as inactive due to the date of the last activity on it, and a need for a current affected version. If you believe this was done in error, please create a new issue and confirm that it is reproduceable in the current 6 CE GA release.

In recent months Liferay has received a significant number of anomaly reports many of which are really requests for help. Because of this fact, the real bug reports are no longer easily identifiable. To remedy this problem we need your assistance. We will working towards closing open tickets that meet specific criteria and ask you to create a new issue for those that that are truly bug reports. We'll be monitoring those tickets so that they are properly managed.

Thank you,
The Liferay Team
ICA120109

That is very very annoying. I create an issue, because I have found something that is not working as supposed to. I am waiting for a while now, that anyone of Liferay is taking these issues serious and is trying to fix them (or if they need help to reproduce them).

Let's take this issue as an example: http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-4753
If you haven't change the the Upgrade Classes for 5.2.2 to 5.2.3 the bug is still there!

So PLEASE don't close issues only because they are old. Issues are meant to be fixed, but not closed because they are too old in someones opinion. If you need any kind of help contact me. Closing an issue, does not fix a bug! Only fixing a bug, does fix a bug!
thumbnail
Shagul Khajamohideen, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

RE: PLEAS don't close "Inactive" issues

Liferay Master Postagens: 758 Data de Entrada: 27/09/07 Postagens Recentes
I agree that there should be some resolution (like not an issue, cannot reproduce, fixed in later version) to the bug like the above one which may still be an issue.

Below is another post that links to two open tickets related to upgrade.

http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/5428912

Looks like we may need a better contribution program to encourage users who are capable of fixing issues to come up with solution if resourcing is a major issue.
fastbob fastbob, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

RE: PLEASE don't close "Inactive" issues

Regular Member Postagens: 221 Data de Entrada: 16/05/05 Postagens Recentes
I totally agree. While Liferay is generally improving its attention to issues, there are plenty of issues (from the outside) just being ignored. I understand there are issues that simply say "x is broken" and it's hard to do anything with that sort. But there are many significant and detailed issues that are never acted upon.
thumbnail
Corné A, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1313 Data de Entrada: 03/10/06 Postagens Recentes
It's not even that even solved fixes are not being committed.

I can't find the post from a while ago stating that only Brian was competent enough to prevent malicious code to end up in the trunk.

At least i think cleaning up the way they do now is not a real solution.

Maybe LR could clear things up be posting the general idea behind this action.
thumbnail
Samuel Liu, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 301 Data de Entrada: 27/05/10 Postagens Recentes
Hi all,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm not speaking officially for Liferay here, but I think JIRA's functionality in removing inactive tickets is based on the idea that "if it's that old and nobody has looked at it, it'll never get looked at." That doesn't seem very optimal from my point of view either, and I'll talk to the others about this. Thank you Tobias for bringing this up.

Fastbob, I appreciate you noticing that we've been upping our game in improving the documentation and organizing bug fixes recently. And Corne, yeah, we recognize that there are even user contributed fixes that haven't been applied. Some of our guys has begun going through those (and there are many) -- each ticket takes time though. I've personally been going through the forums looking for bugs that needed to be reproduced and getting them filed and assigned to appropriate code sprints for immediate/near future fixes. A single issue really does take a while to reproduce.

Shagul, yes! User contributions are so important -- but like Corne said, we haven't even been committing user contributions on the most part until recently. The mechanism is technically there however, in the JIRA. Why we haven't incorporated many contributions has a lot to do with time and manpower, but you're right and we recognize this as something we need to do more of.

What I've personally observed is that some community members will fix things and say how they did it in the forums, but then never make a ticket. In other cases, someone will provide great detail about a bug, but nobody replies or even looks at the post. Recently I've been able to create tickets with fairly detailed information that makes fixing easy based on such posts -- and since I have direct contact with the Liferay engineers, I bother people to get important things into the code sprints. This isn't ideal either though, because a user should be able to post only in JIRA and have the issue looked at and assigned.

I think what needs to happen is a cleanup of JIRA, combined with more Liferay engineers trawling the forums and updating the wiki. I'm a part of the latter improvement, as I've been spending a lot of time reproducing bugs from the forum. JIRA cleanup is on the way (actually what you observed is part of the JIRA cleanup...unfortunately), and I'm definitely going to bring up that ticket expiry issue. A lot of users post issues to JIRA expecting something to happen immediately, but assigning a developer to an issue asap isn't practical given the number of tickets. Instead, our goal should be that we can get the tickets assigned to different code sprints based on priority, so at least users know that the ticket has been reproduced and scheduled for fix.

I hope all will continue to post bugs here and in the JIRA. Ideally, we will be able to pick up the important issues and have them fixed in a timely manner, while incorporating user-contributed solutions. We are working hard to improve the process, and thank you all for such constructive criticism. emoticon It's much appreciated!

Also, thanks for being such active community members. I've seen each of you in other threads at least a few times, haha.

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Hi all,

Just got an update -- the idea behind the closing inactive issues is that if the issue is really a problem, it will get reopened by its creator or another will be created. If it is truly inactive it will stay closed, which makes life easier for the bug fixers.

That does seem somewhat logical, but I wonder if there's a better way to approach it because I bet in some cases (e.g. Tobias's bug seems to be an upgrade bug, and I'm talking to someone about it right now) it is irksome that the ticket not only hasn't been looked at but now is closed because it hasn't been looked at in so long! And real bugs might get obscured this way.

Suggestions anyone?

Warm regards,
Sam

Sam,
Thanks for the comments. I've been on both sides of the process, so I understand and sympathize with what the team is going through. Especially when a product is successful it can seem like an impossible task to get through the avalanche of issues. But if you cannot find a way to deal with the issues, users can become frustrated and abandon your product, taking your success with them.

There are at least three fatal flaws in the "squeaky wheel" approach:
  • The original author may have moved on to something else. People change teams or leave companies all the time.
  • Just because the original author doesn't resubmit the problem doesn't mean the problem has gone away.
  • It wasn't the author's fault the problem was ignored by Liferay (unless of course it's a "something's broken" report with no details).
From this and other hints it's obvious that an influential portion of the Liferay development staff views the issue list as a threat or at least an obstacle. Organizations with a more evolved development process view the issue list as a major help and a daily part of life.

There are plenty of ways to address these problems, but what you really need is a clearly communicated process that starts with the user community and extends through the entire development process to delivery. Make the users your friends, rather than treating them as adversaries, and everyone will be a lot more productive.

I'd be happy to help you develop such a process (probably best initially offline, so we can make sure it meshes with your internal processes, which I don't presume to understand from the outside), but I've got other things I have to attend to right now.
thumbnail

Thanks Fastbob,

It's good to hear this advice from you -- I agree with all points made. We also do have to clean up the cruft; thanks to neglect on our part there are a plethora of duplicates in JIRA, random questions, and lack of standardization in general. Rest assured the leadership is aware of and working on these problems, and Liferay's always trying to incorporate the users better.

Even the recent release naming changes originated from suggestions made by users, and in recent days we've begun taking those user-contributed changes and really pushing to get them into commits. The issues list has become our friend in recent days as well, as I've seen issues being assigned correctly more often now than ever (seems like all the important issues are making it into the code sprints now -- huge improvement). We have a ways to go but a lot of things are seeing leaps and bounds in improvement.

Haha I'm definitely not one of the people who's in charge of the process, but I'm sure the higher-ups would be glad to meet with you if you ever had some time to share your ideas. Hope your work is going well also.

I really really thank you and the other guys for taking the time to answer so many questions on the forums and for understanding Liferay's struggles right now. It's always a blessing to have people who give good advice and with a kind tone! In the coming year, you should expect to see documentation improvements, a more well-managed JIRA, and less buggy GA releases.

Thanks for being part of our community emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Thank you Samuel for talking to us emoticon
That is the only thing I want to. Give me information and everything (hopefully) will get better.

I saw some improvements today: Two tickets that I have submitted for LR 5.1.x and 5.2.x have been assigned to a sprint or a developer.
The only thing that is bothering me: They have been submitted in March 2009...

I'll be crossing fingers that fixing bugs from the community get a higher priority in the LR development process.
thumbnail

Absolutely Tobias,

Thanks for those tickets too. Yeah I can't believe it took so long -- I don't know if things were different a year ago but I hope that's not still happening. I joined Liferay a few months ago and even in these few months I've seen a lot of things change. Personally I'm working hard to get bugs with posts in the forums into the hands of the developers. I'd recommend posting in JIRA but also in the forums while we don't yet have this process down pat. In the future we're working toward being able to just look at JIRA and continuously reproduce/assign without delay though. Tomorrow I'll have a meeting with some of the others to discuss improving wiki documentation and JIRA. I'll be sure to bring up everything that was discussed on this thread.

So much to be done, thanks for having the patience to bear with us emoticon

I also wanted to note: 5.2.x CE has reached end of product life, so as it was explained to me, no new releases will be made on 5.2.x series unless you're EE. What that means for CE users is no new service packs in the same vein -- and in other words, 5.2.x bugs only get looked at if they get reproduced in the 6.0 series. The logic behind this is that, if there's a 5.2 bug that doesn't exist in 6.0 series, just upgrade to 6.0 to get it fixed. The alternative is to purchase an EE license where you get access to backported patches. Another alternative is to go get the patches which are technically available in JIRA...but that means digging, and knowing what you're looking for.

Only problem I see is that 6.0 upgrade process has some bugs. I think 6.0.5 will fix the main upgrade process problem right now, but I know for sure that the early 6.0 releases saw fairly buggy upgrades (a.k.a it's not recommended you upgrade to 6.0.1 or anything other than the latest GA). I've read about some 6.0.4 upgrade bugs regarding duplicate entries or something like that.

The reason I needed to mention that is that a lot of users don't understand why we close 5.2.x tickets sometimes, and it might appear that "they're just old." But most of the time it's because they can't be reproduced in 6.0, so since we're no longer maintaining 5.2.x CE, the ticket gets closed (they're "fixed"). When that was first explained to me I found it sub-optimal, but it makes sense given that EE is the only branch with official support / patches in the vein of 5.2.x, and that there is a patch, and you get it upgrading. If upgrade is too troublesome (or for some reason you don't want the new features or architectural changes in 6.0.x), you can purchase EE, which provides extended bugfix service packs for the 5.2.x series without making you upgrade to a new version/featureset.

Hope this has been helpful!

Warm regards,
Sam

Sam,
Thanks again for your comments and feedback. Whatever we can do to increase communication between Liferay employees and everyone else can only benefit both groups, and in fact will remove any significant barriers over time.

While you may not be in charge of the process, you're certainly influencing events by increasing communication with the community. I believe that can only improve our mutual situation.

Sorry I gave the wrong impression earlier - at the moment I was unable to continue the discussion due to other commitments. I'd be happy to talk more offline about process, culture, and other aspects of making software development and user relations more effective if any of your colleagues are interested. I can be contacted at fastbob at gmail dot com.
thumbnail

Hey Fastbob,

Certainly that sounds excellent -- I'll relay that to the people in charge tomorrow when I meet with them. Thanks for the encouragement too emoticon Just trying to do the right thing!

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail
Simon Gołębiewski, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 246 Data de Entrada: 08/06/09 Postagens Recentes
Samuel Liu:
Hi all,

Just got an update -- the idea behind the closing inactive issues is that if the issue is really a problem, it will get reopened by its creator or another will be created. If it is truly inactive it will stay closed, which makes life easier for the bug fixers.

That does seem somewhat logical, but I wonder if there's a better way to approach it because I bet in some cases (e.g. Tobias's bug seems to be an upgrade bug, and I'm talking to someone about it right now) it is irksome that the ticket not only hasn't been looked at but now is closed because it hasn't been looked at in so long! And real bugs might get obscured this way.

Suggestions anyone?

Warm regards,
Sam

Sam,

In our company we also have issue reporting system. There is no such thing as "old bug" - there can be a bug in system or it has been fixed (direct or indirect). The best way to tell that is to retest that functionality. I saw there are many issues on Liferay JIRA that consist of two senteces (...it doesn't work). If you want to retest old bug and close it or move to next sprint you have to now exact what is the problem, on what system configuration it appears and what are the steps to reproduce it. I think it would be nice to create wiki article with template for submitting bug.

Example template could look something like this:

App server: tomcat/glasfish
Database: Postgres/mysql
Liferay version with build (taken from console ->see attachment console.png): 6.0.5 CE build 6005
Bug is related to: Web content portlet doesn't show web content from choosen community
How to replicate bug:
1. Login to liferay as admin user
2. Add Web content portlet on any page
3. In portlet configuration choose community
4. Save configuration
5. Reload page
6. Web content will reload but you will see "you don't have privileges to view this content" text (this is a bug)

This way Liferay staff will get detailed issue info so there should be no need for "closing old issues". In case when user submits "one-liner" just reject this issue with info poiting to "issue template". This way users will learn very quick how should they submit issues on JIRA. This method is working in our company with no problem and I think it can be adapted to Liferay organization.

Cheers.
Szymon
thumbnail

Thanks Simon,

This does seem reasonable. Hopefully I can get the right people to read this thread so that we can make appropriate changes. When we redo the wiki, we should really add this information, no doubt. In fact, when I get a chance I'll begin drafting something like this for the current wiki.

This means a lot to us, thanks very much for your suggestion!

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail
Simon Gołębiewski, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 246 Data de Entrada: 08/06/09 Postagens Recentes
Samuel Liu:
When we redo the wiki, we should really add this information, no doubt. In fact, when I get a chance I'll begin drafting something like this for the current wiki.

And when you do that just leave a message on this thread so we could read it and test the new procedure with our company testers emoticon
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Moved to the Community category

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2871 Data de Entrada: 31/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Hey guys, quick note to let you know that I moved this issue to the "Liferay's Community" category since that's what this discussion is about and so that it's read by all of us subscribed to that category.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2871 Data de Entrada: 31/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Hey guys,

Sam just sent me a link to this thread. I'm sorry that I didn't notice it before, but I'm afraid I'm not able to keep up to date with all the threads in the Development category any more. I am subscribed to the "Liferay's community" category though, so please use feel free to use it in the future for any concern regarding the community and tools like JIRA, forums, wiki, ...

Regarding the topic at hand, Sam has already explained very well what our goals have been but I wanted to chime in and say sorry for any frustration that it may have caused to you. For more than a year we've all been concerned with the fact that we had an explosion of JIRA tickets created by community members and we just didn't have enough resources to even determine if they made any sense. Many of them were just questions or very specific problems, but there were also some others which were very valuable and they were getting missed in the avalanche.

As the company has kept growing we now assigned more people to take care of these issues but the fact that there were so many open tickets made it a daunting task. So we decided to follow a process that while had some painful parts we thought it would be good at the end. The process has been:
  • Do a very quick review of all open tickets and assign to a developer those that look interesting. This review couldn't be thorough because there were so many, but we were expecting to identify a good percentage of the most important. In fact, we are doing a second phase of this in which we are taking the suggestions for improvements and prioritizing them to make sure they are not missed.
  • Close all others with a message asking the developer to reopen it or comment on it if this was really an open issue. We knew this would cause some pain to people like you but we hoped that you would understand it as a way to improve the process going forward.
  • Have some people monitoring periodically so that they don't accumulate again and we don't need to follow a painful process again.

We were scared to follow this process and thought about it for a long time, but we couldn't think of a better alternative. I hope that in a short time we'll see good results from it.

Thanks again for caring, not only to create tickets, but also to complain when we do things wrong.
thumbnail
Shagul Khajamohideen, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 758 Data de Entrada: 27/09/07 Postagens Recentes
Thanks Sam, Jorge and Liferay team for all the attention and efforts towards improving the process of development/support. As it has come up through the discussion, we need to encourage the community to report issues that can be reproduced ( takes a good amount of time from community and Liferay staff) and use the contribution process. Again as others have mentioned we need a better way to manage the contributions.

Best Regards,
Shagul
thumbnail

First of all thank you Jorge and Samuel for explaining some things.
Just keep talking to us! Communication helps to find solutions ;)

I understand the problems you are facing. In our company are developing software, that has its root in 1980-1983. So I know how hard it can be to track issues, bugs, proposals etc.
Legacy issues are very hard to understand and to fix, but if you don't notice (or ignore) them, they might follow you like Freddy Kruger in a nightmare (on Elmstreet).

But I have to state: Things have improved in the last days (after I started this thread - coincidence?). All of my upgrade related issues have been taking into notice! Thank you Liferay for this effort!

But lets get back to the Freddy Kruger: I started this issue in March 2009. It is now been handled, but as far as I know right now: I don't have the database anymore, that caused this problem.
Is it my fault? Maybe to a certain degree (It would have been easier, if this issue has been noticed by Liferay in March, April or May 2009).

Jorge Ferrer:
Thanks again for caring, not only to create tickets, but also to complain when we do things wrong.

Thank you for recognizing our needs. And thank you for taking them serious.
I don't think you did something "wrong". It was just the lack of information that was bothering me.
But I think it will all be better (I firmly believe it).

Keep it up! Finally Liferay Portal is a software, it love to work with emoticon
thumbnail

I have a good example from my last days of experimenting with LR 6.0.5, of how legacy issues might come after you:
I submitted this issue, incl. a patch March 2009:
http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-2371

Now I am facing some issues that force me to change the DLFolderFinderImpl class again:
http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-12136

So what should I do?
Create a patch for each issue than would cleanly apply to trunk?
I would have to fix the second one that will be applied, so that it matches the DLFolderFinderImpl.java after applying the first one.
But the DLFolderFinderImpl class would still have issues, if not both patches have been applied.

I also wrote a thread, that discusses these issues from my point:

PLEASE don't use DB specific (native) SQL!
thumbnail

Hi Tobias,

Sorry about that -- as you can see, we've filed those issues for the 6.1 release emoticon Thanks so much for reporting stuff like this too. The JIRA re-vamping should help us to avoid this in the future. It's still in progress, as is the wiki cleanup -- it's a daily battle but we're getting better!!

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Hi Sam,

there are huge efforts made in handling issues.
In the time between 5.2.3 and 6.x I was wondering about "my" issues, that I filed for 5.2.3.
But in the last days you give me hope emoticon

Thanks to the whole team!

Cheers
Tobias

Jorge,
Thanks for taking the time to comment on this issue. I'm sure you have plenty on your plate.

I understand triage is difficult given the amount of issues in JIRA, and especially since they've been allowed to accumulate. It was time to get out of the way of the avalanche or be crushed. Understandable. I just took a look at what has been submitted since July 1 of last year: 7854 and counting (all status). When I did an unscientific random sampling (click next page and look at whatever appears under the mouse), a surprisingly high number were detailed with stack dumps and patches. The least detailed seemed to be filed by Liferay developers, which is par for the course ("I know what I mean").

I'd like to comment on your three process points, but first I want to make sure that you and everyone else at Liferay understand these are suggestions for improvement to help you and those of us outside of Liferay, not criticism because I'm having a bad day. I wouldn't waste my time if I thought Liferay wasn't something great that was worth improving.

So on to the process you stated:

[indent]Step 0: Before you even start, I suggest announcing your intentions and why you're taking that route. This whole thread seems to have originated because a user was surprised at this action (as was I). People often react emotionally when surprised, and from a practical standpoint announcing intentions allow people to get used to the idea and allows you to tweak your process to address objections.[/indent]

• As a few of us have pointed out, triage is hard when you have high volume. But see item 3.
  • Unfortunately, closing all others (emphasis mine) is a bit radical and probably doesn't really help you in the long run. See "squeaky wheel" above for starters. You could have instead assigned them to a "we're probably not going to do anything" category, let people know what to do if they feel strongly about an issue, and then closed these issues after a couple of weeks have elapsed.
  • Good recognition, and I think the crux of the matter. The issues became overwhelming because they were allowed to become overwhelming. If instead of dealing with the 7854 issues once a year, dealing with 157 issues once a week over 50 weeks is a lot more manageable. Understood this is a gross simplification with no real knowledge of how Liferay operates.
Lastly, what I'd really like to see is Liferay make a real effort to build culture and processes that support what we're all saying. Frankly, I've seen this kind of issue happen before in the last five years that I've been dealing with Liferay. Things get better for a while, but then people get busy or distracted, and pretty soon the company is behaving the same way it did before the blowup.

This is an opportunity for real and lasting change. Are you and Liferay going to take it?
thumbnail

Hi all,

We're beginning another change and here it is:
Liferay Community Project: Tagging the Wiki

We're trying real hard to improve the documentation here and under everyone here's recommendation, we're reaching out to the community and asking for help: hopefully the wiki is going to see drastic improvements in coming days. Stay tuned emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam

Sounds good; I'll definitely try to contribute. And thanks for following step 0 and letting us know the plans ahead of time. emoticon
Oliver Bayer, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 894 Data de Entrada: 18/02/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi all,

thanks to Tobias for creating this thread. I was about creating some similar one but you hit the nail on the head. And thanks to Sam and Jorge for the explanation.

It's clear that there are to many tickets to solve at once. But to say it's fixed in trunk isn't...how should I say...the right way to do.

One example:
I've created a thread about the LayoutImporter Bugs at the 7th december of 2009 where Liferay 5.2.3 was the official release. For a short time I was in contact with a liferay dev but since then I don't get any feedback although I linked a jira ticket (a colleague created it) and added a lar file to reproduce the bug.

I don't want to wail because we fixed it in our ext so it's not a problem anymore. But for others who also still use 5.2.3 it would be great if it could be fixed because this bug can be a "show stopper" if the import of layouts doesn't work. BTW I don't tested it in the new Liferay 6 release.

I'm looking forward to all the improvements to come emoticon.

Greets Oli
thumbnail

Hey thanks Oliver,

Yeah do you know if there was an LPS filed for that bug? I would love to give it a quick test for you in 6, to see if someone fixed it. I do believe I've seen tickets about layoutimporter before but I wonder if they were fixed for 6. At any rate if it's still broken that can't be a good thing!

We have a new organization coming in the JIRA as you have read, so hopefully that means next time something like this happens and you have a patch, we'll have someone take the patch and put it into the next service pack. It has to be submitted as an LPS though, because as much as we're trying to spend more time on the forums we will still miss things (so many posts)!

Warm regards,
Sam
Oliver Bayer, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 894 Data de Entrada: 18/02/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi Sam,

thanks for the reply.

No problem. I just wanted to show that there are more threads/issues than only the one of Tobias which are lost in the huge amount of tickets.

As you can seet in my thread I've added a link to this jira ticket: LPS-5549. Since one or two days this ticket is -finally- worked on.

From the answers in my thread you can see that other users also run into this problem and that our fix seems to be valid. After a quick test we can't reproduce the reported issue with the activated staging but maybe you can test it.

Oli
thumbnail

Thanks Oliver,

We'll have a look at this asap emoticon We need more community members like you!

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

"Another bites the dust":
LPS-3622

An as I said in the issue:
And I have checked it (this would only need two minutes of your time):
The issue is still present in LR 6.0.5.

So PLEASE fix this!