Fórum

How to speed up Liferay

Guenter Baumgart, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

How to speed up Liferay

Regular Member Postagens: 119 Data de Entrada: 27/01/12 Postagens Recentes
Hi,
I am sorry to say it as it is : Liferay seems super slow, it doesn't matter I am working on a local or remote machiene(worst!), even with SSD or large RAM drives, its just slow. I kicked off all portlets but there is almost no improvement. The server's and developer's hardware is brand new and top-notch (5k/10k+) and I doubt there is the problem. I tried it with 32/64 bit.

Is this going to improve soon or sometime because it makes just no fun to work with. As a counterpart example, I made new and 100% AJAX interfaces for some built-in objects like the Knowledge-base or Journal articles and all runs very smooth. Only when I use the 'standard' interface its going in its knees.

Well, any idea helps ! We toyed of course with VM settings but no, still a pain.
g
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

RE: How to speed up Liferay

Liferay Legend Postagens: 3089 Data de Entrada: 28/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Liferay version?

You can search for Liferay whitepapers. There is a document for performance.

6.1, and thanks, I know that paper :-(
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 3089 Data de Entrada: 28/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Can you post here what is your config? What portlets does the "slow" page have? Any "special" or custom thing?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14917 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
Guenter Baumgart:
I am sorry to say it as it is : Liferay seems super slow.

Sorry to respond this way, but your config makes it slow. Liferay performance will be based upon the database you're using, where it's located, whether you're fronting it w/ some sort of static file handler (i.e. apache httpd in front of tomcat), which application server you're using, whether you've disabled unused filters, what auth mechanism you're using, etc. etc. etc.

Most performance issues are usually traced back to the environment and the configuration, and not the Liferay code itself.

Thanks all for your replies. That sounds really promising.

We didn't touch the Liferay defaults property files (portal.properties). We also removed the developer properties file.

By "slow" I mean the back-end especially. We took a default installation (With no Apache in front) and enabled portal users editing of WebContent, Events and Blogs only. When a user wants to add/edit a translation for instance it takes almost 4-5 seconds that he can enter data on a remote server and 3 seconds on a local server. Its pretty possible that 4-5 seconds are “OK” for some people but nowadays it should be faster, especially when using good servers/hardware I think. If it should be faster than that, please let me know.

We’ve created however own interfaces and servlets to enter Liferay data from a full AJAX dojo application and moved it out of the Liferay context also (not a portlet but can act as) and it works pretty fast as wanted. This way was not the plan at all but it implied to me that the speed problem come suppose to be from all this filters but I am not sure about.

Did somebody make a sort of benchmark suite so can I tweak the properties more easily? I also noticed that Firefox9+ runs far slower than Safari.

I reserved the entire weekend figure out more and come back with more.
Daniel Niklas, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 46 Data de Entrada: 08/11/10 Postagens Recentes
Hi,
are you sure, that the bad response time ist caused by server side? Perhaps your clients do not perform very well. Especially your Browser (and cpu) is important, i think Chrome is actually the fastest Browser in place.

Daniel
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

RE: How to speed up Liferay (Resposta)

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
I agree with Daniel on this. I think it's your browser. I'm on a Windows machine with Centrino and it performs better than 4-5 seconds.

Other things to check is, you've said you're using the default configuration. If you're using the bundled version, try removing all demo sites
and portlets you don't need. Check your CPU, memory, and network usage.

Lastly, Liferay uses cache. Performance gets better on the second visit.