Fórum

Could I start learning LR 6.2 instead of 7?

Fran Prieto, modificado 6 Anos atrás.

Could I start learning LR 6.2 instead of 7?

New Member Mensagem: 1 Data de Entrada: 16/08/17 Postagens Recentes
Hi everyone

Sorry if it is not the proper cathegory to ask this question, feel free to move it.

I would like to start learning LifeRay, but I noticed both documentation and external help (tutorials, books... etc), are much more extense in LifeRay 6.x than in LR7.

Could I start, then, learning LR 6.x and then updating to LR7 without many problems? I have read the official docs and it seems, there are huge changes.

I don´t know many of the technologies and software involved in using LR (Blade, Maven...), so I need good documentation and help.

Thanks a lot for your help.
thumbnail
Samuel Kong, modificado 6 Anos atrás.

RE: Could I start learning LR 6.2 instead of 7?

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1902 Data de Entrada: 10/03/08 Postagens Recentes
You can start by learning 6.2 if you want, however, I'm going to recommend going straight into 7.0 because:
  • Liferay Portal 6.2 CE is no longer supported and hasn't gotten any updates in about 18 months. So starting your project on 6.2 is probably not the best idea.
  • As you mentioned, there's a lot of difference between 7.0 and 6.2. If you start by learning 6.2, there's going to be a good amount of "wasted" effort when you switch to 7.0
  • If you follow the tutorials on dev.liferay.com and use Liferay IDE, a lot of the stuff you're afraid of will mostly be abstracted away for you.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado 6 Anos atrás.

RE: Could I start learning LR 6.2 instead of 7?

Liferay Legend Postagens: 6396 Data de Entrada: 23/09/08 Postagens Recentes
In addition to Samuel's answer: In order to learn about OSGi, a must-have in 7.0, enroute.osgi.org has great tutorials. Liferay 7 makes heavy use of Declarative Services.

Oh, and there is no capital "R" in Liferay - neither version ;)