Fórum

Social Office references

thumbnail
Niclas Lillman, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Social Office references

New Member Postagens: 5 Data de Entrada: 21/04/11 Postagens Recentes
Might be the wrong place to ask this, but I'm giving it a try...

Are there any good references on sites using Social Office? Preferably from a "social networking perspective" - where focus is on adding/following friends and so on (Facebook style...). I've read about it, but I have yet not seen any implementation of this.

Regards,
/Niclas
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

RE: Social Office references

Liferay Legend Postagens: 6403 Data de Entrada: 23/09/08 Postagens Recentes
Social office is geared towards intranet use - e.g. for department- or project-communication and collaboration. As it's preconfigured to do "just" that, naturally use of it is typically not visible from outside. This also limits the amount of "sites to point to". Sadly, I'm not aware that we have any case study available for Social Office. I'll try to find out if there's something in preparation (or if it's available and I just missed it)
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Olaf,

Can you tell me the advantage of Social Office over Portal? Is it mostly the price difference with the Enterprise version?
thumbnail

Thanks for your answers/comments!

I'd like to see a comparison between Social Office and the other major players in the "social" area, such as IBM (Connections), Jive, Yammer and so on. I'm also interested in learning how much "out-of-the-box" that the Social Office product is, and/or if one has to spend a lot of time making it work within an enterprise.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 6403 Data de Entrada: 23/09/08 Postagens Recentes
If you want to try it yourself, just contact sales-eu@liferay.com for a demo - I can also bring an installed version to the Stockholm community meeting.

In general I can say that the current version of Social Office is meant to provide an "out-of-the-box" experience: It's not meant to be modified a lot, but provide a preconfigured product: Install & use. Plans are to make the next versions a lot more configurable. Currently Social Office deliberately removes some of the underlying features of Liferay Portal in order to provide the experience for the usecase that Social Office is meant to cover.

However, you can do the same (with some work) by configuring Liferay to do the same. Naturally, this involves some work on your side - the work that has already been done in Social Office.
thumbnail

Ok. Can you or someone else at Liferay provide me with some more written info about this matter? Maybe some kind of whitepaper?

We have installed and tested (only very superficially) Social Office within our company, but I guess that we have yet not succeeded.

Hope that we can meet up in Stockholm. Maybe I'll get the chance to see SO there. emoticon
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 373 Data de Entrada: 27/08/04 Postagens Recentes
Hi Niclas,

For Social Networking Facebook-style check out http://teambeachbody.com/, built on Liferay Portal. Also http://developer.cisco.com.

In general, for external social networking / collaboration you are better off with customizing Liferay Portal.