Fórum

Books, 2016

Andrea Maschio, modificado 7 Anos atrás.

Books, 2016

New Member Postagens: 14 Data de Entrada: 27/07/16 Postagens Recentes
Hello, I am struggling to find updated books for a senior developer but newbie on Liferay. I would like to ask the community any suggestion on what is considered the best set of books to be read to get a quick start on Liferay development. If it covers Liferay 7, it would be a plus.

Thanks!
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado 7 Anos atrás.

RE: Books, 2016

Liferay Legend Postagens: 6396 Data de Entrada: 23/09/08 Postagens Recentes
Andrea Maschio:
Hello, I am struggling to find updated books for a senior developer but newbie on Liferay. I would like to ask the community any suggestion on what is considered the best set of books to be read to get a quick start on Liferay development. If it covers Liferay 7, it would be a plus.

I'm not aware of any books already targeting Liferay 7, but Liferay's trainings are in the process of being updated and are available for this version already/soon (depending on the course, region, language).

Also, the documentation site has quite a bit of content (and tutorials) for Liferay 7, and for OSGi I've recently learned about enroute.osgi.org

Thank you very much for your answer. Since I assume much of the development part isn't changed, which book(s) are the best option for anyone starting with this technology, having in mind not just portal configuration but active development of portlets?

Thanks
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado 7 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 6396 Data de Entrada: 23/09/08 Postagens Recentes
Actually, due to the switch to OSGi, a lot of the mechanics (but not the underlying principles) in portlet development have changed in Liferay 7. If you insist on a book, you might want to have a look at "Liferay in Action", but it's not even written with 6.2 in mind... Samples need some adoption to still work. Otherwise I'd just go through the tutorials on https://dev.liferay.com/ or check out training
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 7 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14914 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
I recommend Liferay in Action. Olaf Kock is right in that it is out of date for Liferay 7, but if you drag out a copy of Liferay 6.1 CE from sourceforge and work through the book, you're going to be getting a bunch of the standard Liferay concepts with respect to Liferay development.

After you have that foundation, the change to 7 is just understanding how those concepts were changed in the move to OSGi.

Come meet me at the NAS!

David H Nebinger:
I recommend Liferay in Action. Olaf Kock is right in that it is out of date for Liferay 7, but if you drag out a copy of Liferay 6.1 CE from sourceforge and work through the book, you're going to be getting a bunch of the standard Liferay concepts with respect to Liferay development.

Nice advice! My goal is to spend some holiday time practicing, so I think nothing replaces a book.

Do you think that liferay 6.2 is fine (since I already started playing with it, or there are still differences that make following the book difficult?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 7 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14914 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
IIRC people reported some issues using the 6.1 code in 6.2. I don't remember if those issues had since been resolved in the source material or not.

6.1 and 6.2 are so close (from a concept perspective) that the concepts didn't really change, just some of the implementation details. If you do go with 6.2, I know we've covered issues here in the forums in the past, so if you hit a snag you can probably find the answer using a good google query.

Come meet me at the NAS!