Fórum

RoadMap : JSR 286 vs Other Client side Spec

bobo graton, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

RoadMap : JSR 286 vs Other Client side Spec

New Member Mensagem: 1 Data de Entrada: 27/02/11 Postagens Recentes
Hello

IBM got me confused.

For many years IBM have been pushing for Portlet Containers with the JSR 168 and later the JSR 286 Specification.

2008-2009, IBM Lotus division introduced the iWidget Specification. Based on my reading, it is a more dynamic and lightweight version of the Portlets (for Mashup). It uses a different paradigm while providing the same features. A major differentiator with this kind of client side technologies is that you don’t need a big and costly Portal infrastructure.

To not fall in the ‘It depends on needs’ discussions, let consider the following:

* New company, no legacy portlet, no portal in place.

What are your thoughts on this?

PS: I also posted on IBM Websphere forums.

Thank you
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

RE: RoadMap : JSR 286 vs Other Client side Spec

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Yeah IBM tends to do that.

I think portlets have their place and they are not going to disappear anytime soon. There's also a place for lightweight client side apps too but that doesn't mean they can't co-exist. I'm not familiar with the iWidget spec but I would assume they are somewhat similar to OpenSocial which is something Liferay supports.

As for your scenario it depends on your needs. I would write portlets but then again I'm more of a backend guy with heavy investment in Java. If you look at Liferay it's so much more than just a portal. I think of it as framework for building applications. It already provides you WCM, user management, collaboration features and so much more.