Fórum

Custom Global Markup

thumbnail
Milen Dyankov, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Custom Global Markup

Regular Member Postagens: 171 Data de Entrada: 23/09/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi all,
a few weeks ago I released Custom Global Markup portlet. It's a quite simple portlet which allows to add markups (javascript, css, html) to every page in given community (the original use case is described here).

I have some ideas about new features (like for example support for tokens or even templates, tags, categories, ...). The question is whether anything similar is already in 6.0 or planned for upcoming Liferay releases? I don't want to duplicate Liferay features so if such functionality is already on TODO list please let me know. Otherwise in order to make the plugin more useful for community, I would highly appreciate any comments, suggestions or use cases you can think of.

Regards,
Milen
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

RE: Custom Global Markup

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2871 Data de Entrada: 31/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Hi Milen,

That's a very cool and useful portlet, congratulations! emoticon

Nate, Julio and I had been talking before about implementing a Theme customizer that a community/organization administrator could use to customize the theme. It would allow customizing the CSS, Javascript and maybe change/upload some images. Your portlet seems like a very good step forward towards this.

I also know of another community member who was working on it and sent me a draft patch, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll point him to this thread so that you can collaborate.

Regarding your other ideas, go ahead and post them in this forum category. If you want to contribute them to the core product I would recommend to start with small things so that you get use to the contribution process.
thumbnail
Milen Dyankov, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Hi Jorge,
I'm glad you find the portlet useful.

Reading now my previous message I see I didn't make it clear but what I meant was ideas about improving the portlet not Liferay's core. I would eventually need to implement some kind of tokens (to pass current page and user id/name to javascript). But then may be a better idea would be to make use of structures and templates?

Although I don't need it at the moment, I guess it would be nice to have an option to place the code only on private or only on public pages, or even make use of tags and categories to define on which page the custom code should show up.

I could go on in more details but first I want to make sure this is the right place for such discussions. I'm well aware of the contribution process you mentioned, but to my understanding it is about contributing to Liferay's core. As fas as plug-in are concern there is the Community Plugin Library which is really great for contributing extensions. The question is how to
  • let the community know there is new plugin
  • let Liferay staff know somebody has written something potentially useful
  • discuss plugin's features considering the upcoming Liferay versions and official plugins (to avoid duplication of functionality)

I created this thread because of the last two even though I have the feeling the thread does not fit in "Suggestions and Feature Requests". If I'm right please let me know what would be the appropriate category.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2871 Data de Entrada: 31/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Hi Milen,

You're right, there isn't any specific category to announce or discuss about new community plugins yet. I'll see if it can be created, but mean while feel free to keep using this thread.
thumbnail
Gopal Agrawal, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 4 Data de Entrada: 08/12/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi Milen

I tried the portlet and am getting : com.liferay.portal.kernel.bean.BeanLocatorException: BeanLocator has not been set for servlet context custom-global-markup-portlet
Any ideas?

Regards
thumbnail
Milen Dyankov, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Hi Gopal,

Can you please provide some more details, like
- which Liferay version are you using
- which version of the portlet you are installing
- is this clean Liferay instance or you have your own modifications in place

Also please check whether some of these search results can help you solve the problem.