Fórum

Liferay Installer

thumbnail
Juan Fernández, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Installer

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1261 Data de Entrada: 02/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi!
I think it would be nice to have a Liferay installer for non-techy users.

If the final user doesn't need to install a database, a server and our application (this force our downloaders to be software engineers or techy people!) I think many people would like to give Liferay a try.

It can be a package with a MySQL database ready for production and Tomcat (for example).
It should be a "next-next-next" installer, like many other web applications (I'm thinking in LAMPP right now).

A further step forward may be a custom installer, where you can choose the portlets you want to install, the application server (Glassfish/Tomcat...) and your database (PostgreSQL, MySQL...) and it directly downloads the bundle from liferay's repository...

I know I'm dreaming about the future, but isn't this thread created for that purpose? emoticon

Feedback, please!
Regards
Juan Fernández
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Liferay Installer

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1228 Data de Entrada: 14/04/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi Juan. Good suggestion but I suppose it is more a question of priorities. Based on own experience in providing support of Liferay CE/EE installations for small/medium to government orgs, non-techy (business) users would prefer to make an informed decision based on usability / features and avoid spending personal time on installation process at any cost.

So, in terms of fast return-on-investment for all parties, it could be more effective if prospective customers are handed out a series of small induction articles such as Liferay QuckSteps, Liferay for Dummies, Liferay for SME, ..., that are accompanied with portal and system development accounts to a live demo site.

Note #1: What I said above is our opinion specifically about Liferay use for corporate/business purposes. Socially-oriented and personal deployments may require completely different ways of market penetration. An easier wizard-based portal deployment process could be a real winner there.

thumbnail
Juan Fernández, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1261 Data de Entrada: 02/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi Victor:
thanks for your reply.

There's already a live demo of Liferay Portal here and everybody can login and enter to "have a look".

I see your point about govs and big enterprises (they are who pay for support and therefore sustain the company and the product) but I know many small business with no system administrators that would be Liferay users if they could see how easy it is to build a complete intranet (for example) with just a few clicks. Just think in a wizard installer (just 5 - 10 minutes installing the system) and then start adding users and communities... you'll have a completely funtional colaborative working environment in an hour! emoticon

Anyway, as you say, there are two points of view, and it's up to Liferay to decide which one is our priority

Regards
Juan Fernández
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1228 Data de Entrada: 14/04/08 Postagens Recentes
I completely agree with you and it is a good to have feature.

However I did not mean the demo like
everybody can login and enter to "have a look".
. I can see your point and that's certainly not enough. I meant "customer owned portal", where for a short period of time you can do anything, develop and deploy 3rd party portlets/applications in complete privacy..
Something like this Liferay Induction Server. We found it useful for investigative trials without any financial commitments and need for a fast 4Gb lap/desktop.

This is our own statistics that is useful to know: We found that about 50%+ of small/medium businesses we got involved with have bailed out of liferay with the simple reason that it was slow. You know why it was slow? - because they did deployment themselves without having any prior Liferay experience.
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2034 Data de Entrada: 05/03/09 Postagens Recentes
Having an installer that could test the system, adjust parameters, or at least pop up big huge warnings that it isn't fast enough would be lovely.

I have to say though, that we have a rather large site - ~2500 pages in navigation, 18,000 users, and our Liferay instance runs on a dual CPU machine with 2 GB of RAM quite nicely.

That said, I have my tomcat instance tuned. I have my mysql instance tuned. And I have Liferay tuned.

The tuning that I've done could easily be scripted. And similiar scripts could be provided for the other databases and servlet containers that Liferay runs on.
Oliver Bayer, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 894 Data de Entrada: 18/02/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi Lisa,

can you please share your modifications of tomcat, mysql and liferay? It would be really useful not only for my installation but for many other users as well.

Oli
thumbnail

They're all published on my personal web site www.curltalk.net and in the Wiki on this site.

Hi Lisa,

thanks for answering. Your site is not reachable at the moment. Do you mean this wiki article (Liferay Wiki Performance)? Do you have some links for tuning of a liferay 5.2.3 install running with postgres db?
Thanks in advance.

Oli
thumbnail

As for tuning postgres, there is a very good article in the Postgres Wiki and my site seems to be working ok- you can find it here.

Hey Lisa,

do you mean the wiki article called "PostgreSQL with Glassfish"? There aren't many tuning parameters. I also found a forum thread stating to change the postgres driver to the jdb4-driver.
Your site seems to be unreachable from germany either with IE nor FF. FF is showing the following warning message: "Firefox can't connect to server with the following address: www.curltalk.net:8080".
Thanks for the help.
thumbnail
Michael Young, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 846 Data de Entrada: 05/08/04 Postagens Recentes
Hello Juan,

There is already an Installer in the works that we plan to build a bundle for 5.3 that includes a lot of these things that you are referring to. We're currently having some resourcing issues so there's a chance that this effort may be pushed back to another release.
Juan Fernandez Rodriguez, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 12 Data de Entrada: 16/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Michael Young:
Hello Juan,

There is already an Installer in the works that we plan to build a bundle for 5.3 that includes a lot of these things that you are referring to. We're currently having some resourcing issues so there's a chance that this effort may be pushed back to another release.

Hi
Just for curiosity, is this installer build with IzPack?
Regards