Fórum

Hook it up or Ext it up?

thumbnail
Ziggy ., modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Hook it up or Ext it up?

Expert Postagens: 293 Data de Entrada: 08/06/08 Postagens Recentes
Ok i've got a requirement that i means i have to modify the LoginAction.java file. I have created themes and page layouts before using the SDK but never have i used the EXT environment before so i am attempting it now.

I have a few questions regarding customising/modifying portlets.

1. Lets say i go ahead and modify the LoginAction.java file and deploy it. What will happen when the version of liferay i am using (5.2.3) is upgraded? Will my changes be overwritten with the new release? And also lets say the new version of liferay 5.2.4 includes a change in the LoginAction.java class. Will this overwrite my modified LoginAction.java?

2. Do i have to use the EXT environment to change the login portlet? I have used the SDK before and in most cases it creates a war file in the webapps directory. If i use the SDK to modify the login portlet, presumabely it will create a login war file? And will this conflict with the login portlet in the portl-impl folder?

3. And finally i have seen some references to the all new Hooking algorithm. Is this a better approach? What is the benefit of it compared to the EXT and SDK ???

Thanks
Sina J, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

RE: Hook it up or Ext it up?

New Member Postagens: 8 Data de Entrada: 01/10/10 Postagens Recentes
Did you ever find the answer for Hooks vs Ext?
Nicholas Tenczar, modificado 13 Anos atrás.

RE: Hook it up or Ext it up?

Junior Member Postagens: 53 Data de Entrada: 15/07/10 Postagens Recentes
Amos Fong wrote an excellent blog on how to minimize the use of the extension environment, or more aptly the ext-plugin as it has become in Liferay 6.

You can find that blog here:
http://www.liferay.com/web/amos.fong/blog/-/blogs/minimizing-the-ext-environment

My personal opinion is to avoid using the ext-plugin whenever possible. If done properly (as described in the aforementioned blog) making changes there can be done in a manner that is easy to maintain even when Liferay updates core components. Having inherited a project that did not follow recommend practices, I know first hand the nightmare of maintaining changes in the ext environment. So my suggestion is use the ext-plugin at your own peril.