Fórum

Should I use create.bat script to generate Struts portlets?

Dan Bezdek, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Should I use create.bat script to generate Struts portlets?

New Member Postagens: 18 Data de Entrada: 20/03/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

I have the following 2 questions regarding creating a Struts porlet (or even a spring portlet for that matter). I would appreciate if anyone can answer any of them.

1. Is it a common practice to generate the bare bone structure of a Struts portlet using the create.bat script of the Plugin Sdk? If not, then how do you go about starting a Struts portlet. There seems to exist at least dozens of name dependencies. Get one wrong, and then the portlet may become buggy or at least unstable. So, without a script, it is going to be real difficult to create a clean Struts portlet.

2. I don't suppose there is any special script specific to generating Struts portlets, am I correct?

Thanks,
Dan

RE: Should I use create.bat script to generate Struts portlets?

Honestly, this is a disaster. I can't find even one documentation, one post, one tool that says "you want to create a Struts (or Spring) portlet for Liferay?" then here how it is done. There seems to have been an Eclipse plugin at some point to generate a bare bone portlet which seems to have vanished from the face of earth. The sample Struts portlet for Liferay 5.2.2 has no build.xml; There is only one wiki entry that half decently describes what the content of a Struts portlet is supposed to be, but good luck creating a Struts portlet based on just that documentation. By the way, I already know how to use create.bat to generate a JSP portlet, but for production obviously you want Struts or Spring portlet.

I think I'm gonna have to consider Drupal or Joomla. At least, I know that there are thousands of users and thousands of modules to benefit from. Just didn't want to go with PHP, but if I can't create a lousy bare bone Struts portlet without having to invest 2 weeks time, then what good is Liferay?
thumbnail
Arvind Mishra, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 226 Data de Entrada: 13/02/08 Postagens Recentes
Here is the sample plugin struts portlets .

You can build your functionality on this -

Plugin Struts Portlet

Thanks Arvind. I have already seen this portlet. It has no build.xml, and its structure is somewhat different from a generated Liferay portlet. So, how am I supposed to build upon this? Even the name of the folder that the portlet is in has been repeatedly used within the files. So, how do I even go about a simple task such as renaming the folder, and renaming the portlet without breaking all the dependencies.

This also raises a few alarms for me. Such as why it has no build.xml? Why the structure is different from generated Liferay portlet? If I build any Struts portlet based on this, is it going to be standard and stable? How this portlet itself was generated? Manually? That's kind of scary to me to have to manage all the dependencies by hand.
thumbnail

Its a war file , why it should contain build.xml ?

You can go to liferay SVN and checkout the source from there .

http://svn.liferay.com/repos/public/plugins/trunk/portlets/

Thanks Arvind,

This response really solved my problem. I hadn't for even one second had stopped to think that the portlet that I was downloading was not the source. I really appreciate it. I don't think I'd have any problem starting now.
thumbnail

Other thing is , if you are not comfortable with Plugin Environment , You can use Ext environment for development also .