Fórum

Users in DB not appearing in Users screen

Franklin Phan, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Users in DB not appearing in Users screen

Regular Member Postagens: 137 Data de Entrada: 10/03/09 Postagens Recentes
I have five users in the User_ table. Why doesn't the Users screen list any of them? I am using View All.

Running 5.2.2 on Tomcat 5.5.27.
Dmitry Babain, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Users in DB not appearing in Users screen

Regular Member Postagens: 238 Data de Entrada: 23/11/08 Postagens Recentes
It's a bug.

Try reindexing through control panel. It helps.

It does not help. See attached screen caps.

You mean you really did "Reindex all search indexes"?
It didn't help in our case on the first try, but on the second run it did. Well, on 5.2.3. emoticon

I reindexed many times. No help at all.
thumbnail
Abdollah Esmaeilpour, modificado 9 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 60 Data de Entrada: 22/08/09 Postagens Recentes
Dmitry Babain:
It's a bug.

Try reindexing through control panel. It helps.

Thanks Dmitry.
I had more than 84000 users and upgraded from 5.2.2 to 5.2.3.
I reindexed search indices and worked.
When I am writing this post, It has taken about 2 hours and still working! I opened another page for viewing users. First it displayed only Admin. When I searched Non-Active users It displayed more than 77,000 of them. After some minutes, I repeated my search and it showed more than 79,000. So I became sure that reindexing is the right workaround.

I've upgraded to 5.2.3. Users still doesn't show jack.
WTF?!

The NullPointerException stack trace in the log file goes on for miles! Either pageContext is null or property entry is null in page.jsp; here are are the beginning and ending excerpts:
2009-07-03 15:24:46,173 [http-8080-Processor19] ERROR [[jsp]:711] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.jsp.html.portlet.enterprise_005fadmin.user_005faction_jsp._jspService(user_005faction_jsp.java:1368)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:98)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:331)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:329)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:265)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:679)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:584)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:497)
        at com.liferay.portal.kernel.dao.search.JSPSearchEntry.print(JSPSearchEntry.java:80)
        at org.apache.jsp.html.taglib.ui.search_005fiterator.page_jsp._jspService(page_jsp.java:1210)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:331)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:679)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:584)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:497)
        at com.liferay.taglib.util.IncludeTag.doEndTag(IncludeTag.java:67)
        at org.apache.jsp.html.portlet.enterprise_005fadmin.view_005fusers_jsp._jspx_meth_liferay_002dui_005fsearch_002diterator_005f0(view_005fusers_jsp.java:2266)
2009-07-03 15:24:46,267 [http-8080-Processor19] ERROR [IncludeTag:79] Current URL /liferay/group/control_panel/manage?p_p_id=125&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=maximized&p_p_mode=view&doAsGroupId=10129&refererPlid=10132&_125_struts_action=%2Fenterprise_admin_users%2Fview generates exception: Exception in JSP: /html/taglib/ui/search_iterator/page.jsp:246

243:                            " colspan="<%= entry.getColspan() %>" valign="<%= entry.getValign() %>">
244:
245:                                    <%
246:                                    entry.print(pageContext);
247:                                    %>
248:
249:                            

Stacktrace:
2009-07-03 15:24:46,268 [http-8080-Processor19] ERROR [IncludeTag:165] java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.jsp.html.portlet.enterprise_005fadmin.user_005faction_jsp._jspService(user_005faction_jsp.java:1368)
        at com.liferay.portal.kernel.dao.search.JSPSearchEntry.print(JSPSearchEntry.java:80)
        at org.apache.jsp.html.taglib.ui.search_005fiterator.page_jsp._jspService(page_jsp.java:1210)

Such a black hole...

Yes, that's the problem.

We also have this exception. I don't know what causes it, but it's user related.
I mean that an attempt to display some user (one or more of your "users") breaks the whole display.
For example, we have about 90 users, and we can view the list of then, scroll pages, but some user in the 50-55 page breaks with the same exception.

Long story short,
see http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-3370.

As far as i understand, that problem is in the length change of some fields concerning user profile. I'll ask the man who "fixed" it for us tomorrow.

Update: he didn't fix it. The bug remains.
thumbnail
Josh Asbury, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 498 Data de Entrada: 08/09/06 Postagens Recentes
Is this a base instance or have you upgraded from pre-5.2.x? If it's an upgrade, you might want to pay attention to the portal-legacy-5.1.properties files as at this point many of the search directories were changed.

We upgraded from 5.1. I fail to understand how legacy properties can help me with display of one or two users out of 90, but hey, who knowsemoticon. Thanks, I'll try it.
thumbnail
Sonu Singh, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 8 Data de Entrada: 02/01/09 Postagens Recentes
We have also facing same problem.
We are using Liferay 5.2.1 version with tomcat-5.5.27 and Oracle database.
In our case 25,000 users exist and for reindexing it takes too much time.
So this is the only way to show users in control panel or any other alternative ?
Because that solution will not much helpful.

Why this problem happens ?

Please reply,

Thanks in Advance....
Gloria Muñoz, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 43 Data de Entrada: 04/11/08 Postagens Recentes
Got the same error, and also same screenshots than Franklin Phan.

Any feedback on this??

Cheers
thumbnail
Zsolt Balogh, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 463 Data de Entrada: 23/03/09 Postagens Recentes
Got the same error too, but only on our live site, staging works fine.

I'm trying to find what's the problem here...
thumbnail

After some time (we have a lof of users) it started to work. I think, that while it was reindexing other search indexes, the user index was clean, that's why I got the same screen.

If it's persistent, imho it means, that there was an error(app server shutdown?) while it was reindexing the user list. You should try to reindex it and check the log for exceptions.
thumbnail

I've found the solution (for our problem, but you could have another):

We are using liferay since 3.5, and migrating users since then.

Some of our users didn't get an own group, and when the page wanted to put the manage pages link into the userlist page, it got a NullPointerException, as user.getGroup() was null.

I don't know if it's a Liferay issue or not, as we had to migrate the users once with a custom script around the 3.6.1 -> 4.0.0 upgrade. That's why it's really not recommended to edit the db by hand. emoticon

You can check you if have the same problem:

This postgresql query prints the number of user groups(not usergroups, users' own groups):
select count(*) from group_ where classnameid=(select classnameid from classname_ where "value"='com.liferay.portal.model.User');

And with this, you can check the number of users:
select count(*) from user_ where not defaultuser

I think this value should be nearly the same.

And here's the workaround while we are trying to clear up the database:

Index: portal-web/docroot/html/portlet/enterprise_admin/user_action.jsp
===================================================================
--- portal-web/docroot/html/portlet/enterprise_admin/user_action.jsp	(revision 34973)
+++ portal-web/docroot/html/portlet/enterprise_admin/user_action.jsp	(working copy)
@@ -60,7 +60,7 @@
 		<liferay-ui:icon image="permissions" url="<%= permissionsUserURL %>" />

-	<c:if test="<%= UserPermissionUtil.contains(permissionChecker, userId, ActionKeys.UPDATE) &amp;&amp; (PropsValues.LAYOUT_USER_PRIVATE_LAYOUTS_MODIFIABLE || PropsValues.LAYOUT_USER_PUBLIC_LAYOUTS_MODIFIABLE) %>">
+	<c:if test="<%= user2.getGroup() != null &amp;&amp; UserPermissionUtil.contains(permissionChecker, userId, ActionKeys.UPDATE) &amp;&amp; (PropsValues.LAYOUT_USER_PRIVATE_LAYOUTS_MODIFIABLE || PropsValues.LAYOUT_USER_PUBLIC_LAYOUTS_MODIFIABLE) %>">
 		<portlet:renderurl windowstate="<%= WindowState.MAXIMIZED.toString() %>" var="managePagesURL">
 			<portlet:param name="struts_action" value="/enterprise_admin/edit_pages" />
 			<portlet:param name="redirect" value="<%= redirect %>" />

</portlet:renderurl></c:if></c:if>
thumbnail

I've found the Liferay issue about this: LPS-4027

It's committed to branches/5.2.x, so probably in the next release the upgrade process will wipe out users without groups or contacts.
Gloria Muñoz, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 43 Data de Entrada: 04/11/08 Postagens Recentes
Thanks for the interest!

I think my error is related to that Contact checking. If the LDAP import fails loading any user, and a contact for that user is not completely created, next time you synchronize with LDAP this error appears..so I'm going to check the import process.

Cheers!
thumbnail

I've created a patch to the upgrade process as it removed 15k users from our database:
http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-4027

The patch creates the needed contacts and groups, the old one deleted them.

I hope it will be in the next release, we really don't want to hack new upgrade process into the database.

Btw, 5.2.x branch is not upgrading now, because of this:
http://svn.liferay.com/viewrep/portal/branches/5.2.x/portal-impl/src/portal.properties?r1=34794&r2=34946

(It took me some time to find out)

Josh Asbury:
Is this a base instance or have you upgraded from pre-5.2.x? If it's an upgrade, you might want to pay attention to the portal-legacy-5.1.properties files as at this point many of the search directories were changed.

This is a totally fresh install of 5.2.3 with its portal-ext.properties set to point to the same DB created by the previous 5.2.2. I deleted the old liferay webapp context dir before starting up Tomcat with the new 5.2.3 liferay.war file.

FWIW, I can see that the DB was updated automatically by 5.2.3 first startup: A new field system was added to the table Company.
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2034 Data de Entrada: 05/03/09 Postagens Recentes
We had the same issue when we went from 5.2.2 to 5.2.3. We downgraded and they all came back. We did end up having to clear the cache in order to get them to reappear but nothing, not even restarting liferay wored with 5.2.3. I posted about this on my wall a while back.

Try clearing your cache and see if that does it.

Lisa Simpson:
We had the same issue when we went from 5.2.2 to 5.2.3. We downgraded and they all came back. We did end up having to clear the cache in order to get them to reappear but nothing, not even restarting liferay wored with 5.2.3. I posted about this on my wall a while back.

Try clearing your cache and see if that does it.

Let me get this clear: You downgraded back to 5.2.2 and still the users did not reappear until you have cleared the cache?

Thanks.

I just downgraded back to the exact 5.2.2 that I had previously. I don't see any users even after clearing the browser cache.

I went to Server Administration and performed all the actions except for Generate Thread Dump, and I still do not see any users.
thumbnail

Not clearing your browser cache... Go to your control panel to server and clear all the cached content there.

Right. That's what I did in Server Administration.
thumbnail

Wow! I don't know what else to tell you. That's what we did and they came back.
thumbnail
Tyron Boyd, modificado 7 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 12 Data de Entrada: 14/12/15 Postagens Recentes
Lisa Simpson:
Not clearing your browser cache... Go to your control panel to server and clear all the cached content there.

Thank you! This fixed my liferay 6.2 EE!
Prashant Sharma, modificado 6 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 24 Data de Entrada: 14/07/14 Postagens Recentes
Hi ,

I am working on Migration from Liferay 6.1 ce to Liferay 6.2 ce and facing a major issue of User list. I have around 250 users in my database out of which only 2 are appearing under Control Panel --> Users. However I am able to see all 250 users under siteadmin --> Sitemembers --> users list.
There is no error on my console logs. Below are the steps i have tiered :

1. I have reindexed all search indexes and restarted the server.
2. Checked users status all are in active stage from status column of user_ table

On R&D and as work around solution i found is that :
1. Create an Organization and assign users to org from available user list.
2. On adding you would see the list of users under Organization users list .
3. Delete the users from organization list and check you users on control panel again.
4. Users get visible on all Users tab.

Unable to find any specific and fix solution.
Need help, please do suggest something

Regards
Prashant Sharma
thumbnail
Jorge Díaz, modificado 6 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 753 Data de Entrada: 09/01/14 Postagens Recentes
Prashant Sharma:
I am working on Migration from Liferay 6.1 ce to Liferay 6.2 ce and facing a major issue of User list. I have around 250 users in my database out of which only 2 are appearing under Control Panel --> Users. However I am able to see all 250 users under siteadmin --> Sitemembers --> users list.
2. Checked users status all are in active stage from status column of user_ table

The most common cause of your error is a Indexation problem, so before anything, try:
  • Execute a full reindex again
  • Check log file and verify that there is no error during reindex operation

If you continues with same error, try checking your index using my "Index Checker" application from Liferay Marketplace:

You can also try forcing the user search using database, changing following property in portal-ext.properties:
users.search.with.index=false

More information, see:

Jorge Díaz:
Prashant Sharma:

The most common cause of your error is a Indexation problem, so before anything, try:
  • Execute a full reindex again
  • Check log file and verify that there is no error during reindex operation

If you continues with same error, try checking your index using my "Index Checker" application from Liferay Marketplace:

You can also try forcing the user search using database, changing following property in portal-ext.properties:
users.search.with.index=false

More information, see:

Thanks for your response Jorge,

I have tried reindexing many times and check the logs again and again, even though there is nothing specific shown which could be causing the issue. I am not understanding how could the users be visible in sitemember list of Administrator and not shown under Control panel's Users list.
Is it something related to versioning as i am using LR6.2 CE GA6.
I would check with Index Checker and portal properties , and would update you.

Regards
Prashant Sharma

Do you still get that jsp exception? If so, then i suggest you deactivate users one by one using some db tool and find out which one is breaking the display.
Table users_, field active_.
Users in control panel have "Active" filter to "yes" by default.

Dmitry Babain:
Do you still get that jsp exception?...

I encountered that exception when I was pointing the new 5.2.3 instance to the original database schema, hoping to reuse the same data. I finally had enough of this and set the portal-ext.properties to point to a new, empty schema. If I get time, I'll point it back to the original schema and see what I can do. For the time being, I just want to move forward having wasted enough time looking into this black hole.

The bloody JSP exception still happens when I point back to the original DB despite having cleared browser cookies and the Tomcat work directory.

Infuriating.

The table User_ shows everyone with active_ = 1. I presume that means they are all active.

Yes. I suggest you set active to 0 for every user in your old db except test@liferay.com or whatever or whoever your superuser is.
And try to view users list in control panel. if you stiil won't be able to see yourself and still get the exception, then a really don't know what to doemoticon

Dmitry Babain:
Yes. I suggest you set active to 0 for every user in your old db except test@liferay.com....

I'll consider giving that a try when I get the chance, but I really don't see why that should matter given that there's a selector in the screen under Advanced where I can choose the active state I desire. I tried selecting Inactive and got back a resultset header with a message underneath saying "No users were found.", which makes sense. I then selected Active, and I got nothing--no header and no message--just like the screen capture I have above.

I only offered you that so that you can find exactly wich user can not be displayed. I suspect that exception that breaks the display is related to user data, for instance job title length. Anyway, i see no reason why it should be you testing it instead of liferay core developers. But then i suggest you reopen the jira issue mentioned earlier.
Baris Sener, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 278 Data de Entrada: 23/06/09 Postagens Recentes
Go to your database and do:

UPDATE User_ SET User_.active_= 1;

Then go to My Account, and update some fields for your own account. Then go do reindex, and you should be good to go.

BAris
thumbnail
Stephen Kostas, modificado 6 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 20 Data de Entrada: 02/11/09 Postagens Recentes
How were the users added? Were they added programmatically (like through a custom-made user generation tool)? Through an LDAP import? Manually added through the portal? The issue is probably related to some aspect of how they were added - like some issue with the LDAP configuration.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your response.
That's a good point to check with create user functionality, i would look into this and get back to you with update.

Regards
Prashant Sharma