Fórum

Problem with Activating Staging

Jo Sebastian Eduardo, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

Problem with Activating Staging

New Member Postagens: 2 Data de Entrada: 13/05/09 Postagens Recentes
Good day!

We've been trying to activate the staging feature in our existing application which uses LFR 5.1.2. At first we we're getting ZipExceptions and NoSuchFileExceptions. After applying the patch to fix the ZipException and cleaning up the files, we did not get any other error message in our logs but we still can't use the Staging feature. We could see "Staging" as part of the dropdown menu but if we hover on it, nothing shows.

Where else could we look to determine the problem? Or are we forgetting to configure other things?

Thanks in advance!
thumbnail
Matthieu Levesque, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

RE: Problem with Activating Staging

Junior Member Postagens: 64 Data de Entrada: 13/02/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi,
I had the same problem yesterday. I switched off the staging for a few hours, then I enabled it again and the problem was gone. Now I can see the preview but all the articles are empty. I'll let you know If y figure that one...
Clare Panganoron, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 6 Data de Entrada: 16/05/11 Postagens Recentes
Matthieu Levesque:
Hi,
I had the same problem yesterday. I switched off the staging for a few hours, then I enabled it again and the problem was gone. Now I can see the preview but all the articles are empty. I'll let you know If y figure that one...

i have the same thing in my liferay.

I noticed that when you enable a staging in a certain group, all its contents will be gone. Its as if it is hidden in live server and you cannot view it in staging server. But when you disable the staging, all the contents will get back.
thumbnail
Brian Ko, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 70 Data de Entrada: 11/02/10 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

I have the same issue. When it is activated, I cannot see the contents at all. However, it only happens in one organization. All other organization works fine. Have you tried "copy from live" option?

Brian
thumbnail

Hi,

After I traced the code, I found why it was not working. When you activate the staging, the system will publish everything in live to staging so that you can make necessary modification and publish back to live. However, if there is any discrepancy between database and the content in file system (I.e. database says there is a file, /data/234/34/manual.doc, but the file is not in the file system for some reason), an exception is thrown and the copying operation fails. However, the staging is still activated.

That's why we see the staging is activated but we cannot see any contents from staging. The issue we are facing is it is very hard to fix as it is too find which records have that problem, especially in production. It is suggested that the exception handling process, outputs detailed information about the contents to the log before it fails. Then, at least, the developers can fix it from database level. Otherwise, I will need to copy database and all contents in file system from production to development environment and run the debugger to check the error message to find what is causing failure and delete the offending records from the db..

Brian
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14919 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
It's usually best to ensure that the filesystem and database components are in sync prior to performing an upgrade, and I guess that rule applies to staging also.
thumbnail

Hi David,

Is there a way we can ensure that filesystem and database components are in sync? Any utility?

Brian
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14919 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
No, not that I'm aware of. Filesystem sync is just a matter of copying the data directory from one system to another (ideally first system is shut down to ensure all files are closed). Database sync would depend on your database of choice to handle export/import.
thumbnail

Hi David,

Maybe I did not make myself clear. The problem happened When I activate the Local live staging. Therefore, there is no sync between file systems since there are only 1 file system. The same is true for database.

Brian
thumbnail

Brian Ko:
Hi,

After I traced the code, I found why it was not working. When you activate the staging, the system will publish everything in live to staging so that you can make necessary modification and publish back to live. However, if there is any discrepancy between database and the content in file system (I.e. database says there is a file, /data/234/34/manual.doc, but the file is not in the file system for some reason), an exception is thrown and the copying operation fails. However, the staging is still activated.

That's why we see the staging is activated but we cannot see any contents from staging. The issue we are facing is it is very hard to fix as it is too find which records have that problem, especially in production. It is suggested that the exception handling process, outputs detailed information about the contents to the log before it fails. Then, at least, the developers can fix it from database level. Otherwise, I will need to copy database and all contents in file system from production to development environment and run the debugger to check the error message to find what is causing failure and delete the offending records from the db..

Brian

I tried again with Liferay 6.1. I found the code was changed to display the error message with the name of the missing files. Still we need to find the records associated with the missing contents. However, it is much better than tracing the code to find the exact source of the problem.

Brian
thumbnail

I traced the program and I found what happened. I used have the configuration so that I could upload extension mov file to document library. However, we had to remove it to make room for other extensions. After I remove it from the list and activate the staging, the fileExtensionException is thrown and the staging process stopped in the middle. In this case, the solution was to add the mov extension back to the list or remove all document with mov extension fixed the problem. Maybe the activating program should not check the extensions unless it causes other issue.

Brian
thumbnail

I found another problem and work around in staging.

Here is the step.
1. Add a document library display portlet to a page.
2. Select one of existing sub folder as a root folder.
3. Make sure there is a old content under that sub folder.
4. Choose "Publish to live now" from drop down on top navigation, Staging.
5. Go to "View live page" and see if there is a document in the library display portlet.
6. If you can see it, repeat the step 4 and 5 the next day. ( I am not sure if the content will be pick up for publish or not when the content date is same as last publish date.)

Finally, you will see that you do not have anything in the library display portlet. I think it because the routine is skipped when there is no new contents since last publish.

The work around is to change the option to "all" from "from last publish date".

Brian