Fórum

Liferay Browser Support - Wiki page

thumbnail
Tobias Amon, modificado 16 Anos atrás.

Liferay Browser Support - Wiki page

Liferay Master Postagens: 546 Data de Entrada: 08/08/07 Postagens Recentes
Hi @all,

I've used the search to get a list of browsers supported by Liferay. Unfortunatelly no one has such a list. So my suggestions is to create a wiki page where user can put their expirience in supported browsers.

Interesting Browsers are:
  • Internet Explorer (v5.5 - v7)
  • Safari (v1.x)
  • Firefox (v0.7 - v3.x, also beta)
  • Opera (v5.0 - v9.x)
  • Mozilla
  • Netscape
  • Konqueror

What about your opinion? Is this usefull?
thumbnail
Rob Sonke, modificado 16 Anos atrás.

RE: Liferay Browser Support - Wiki page

Expert Postagens: 275 Data de Entrada: 26/08/07 Postagens Recentes
I'm not sure if it's that usefull. It's not really a Liferay problem but it depends more on the theme you're using.
thumbnail

Hi,

I agree with you in terms of layout.

But liferay makes usage of javascript. This is what I am interested in.
thumbnail

Hi,

I began to test some browsers.

I used "MultipleIE" to test older versions of Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer 5.0
- No login possible (try to get to know why)
- Default Liferay Navigation not working (JavaScript Error)

Internet Explorer 5.5
- Always crashing

Internet Explorer 6
- Working properly with correct theme

Internet Explorer 7
- Working properly

Opera 7
- Default Liferay Navigation not working

Opera 8
- Working properly

Opera 9
- Working properly

Safari 3 (Windows Version)
- Working properly

Firefox 2
- Working properly

Netscape 7.1
- Working properly (depending on theme)

If someone has experience in other browser he can send me an email. I will proceed with the list as soon I have tested more versions.
thumbnail
Artur Linhart, modificado 16 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 459 Data de Entrada: 13/09/07 Postagens Recentes
Hello,

I think this will be really in the most of cases problem of the theme - it is then not written in such a way it would be compatible with all browsers.
This list You could make for every developed theme, so I do not see the real reason to put this into the list. Also through the liferay versions something could change as the default theme implementation also could change...

I think it You have some problem, then there is the best way to create Your own theme by modifying the existing one. Then You can handle the special needs of some older/extravagant browser versions in Velocity by using the variable "browserSniffer" or other variable, defined in "com.liferay.portal.velocity.VelocityVariables.java" (found in portal-impl) and of init.vm (found under the templates of the _unstyled theme in the new Liferay installation)

with best regards, Archie
mawarne kaidar, modificado 16 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 3 Data de Entrada: 17/01/08 Postagens Recentes
i've developed a custom portlet and upload it by using plugin installer. When using IE6, the container will show the entire portlet. But, when i use IE7, mozilla firefox & nescape navigator the container only show a limited space of portlet and the user have to scroll down to view the portlet. is it any problem with browser or i just miss something when deploying my portlet?
thumbnail

Hm, no idea :-(

Does this happen also if You try some different themes?
mawarne kaidar, modificado 16 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 3 Data de Entrada: 17/01/08 Postagens Recentes
Artur Linhart:
Hm, no idea :-(

Does this happen also if You try some different themes?

Actually i'm using classic theme as my own custom theme return me a disastorous look.. this only happened when i'm using my own custom portlet.

in IE6 , all the system (developed using java + spring +hibernate) run properly

in IE7 & Firefox, it also run properly but only show limited space of portlet as i've said before.

in safari, it show full portlet but the system only run once before showing me errors..
thumbnail

OK, that's interesting... Because it does not happen by "other" portlets, it looks You generate something into the portlet body, what is interpereted so differently in the different browsers. I would propose to put Your portlet on one page with some preinstalled portlet, which does not have this problem and then to look on the produced html page, what is the difference between the code You produce and the other portlet produces. You can then also directly modify the jsp on tomcat and make the refresh of the page to see immediatelly the result... Or just look at the JSP of the prebuilt portlet where the difference can be...

with regards, Archie
Suganda Sidharta, modificado 15 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 69 Data de Entrada: 01/03/07 Postagens Recentes
ok regarding the browser support
i want to ask about safari support for add blog and add or edit journal

here is the link of my post

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/737089

thanks in advance,
Suganda emoticon
Arne T. Mossin, modificado 16 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 26 Data de Entrada: 22/01/08 Postagens Recentes
Artur Linhart:
Hello,

I think this will be really in the most of cases problem of the theme - it is then not written in such a way it would be compatible with all browsers.

Yes, you are mostly right, but basic functionality with the default theme and some of the standard portlets I will say it's liferay's "fault" any way. So a test on what browsers you can expect to work on lets say default theme and login, message board, journals and blog's is definitely of interest. And of course the editor. Then if you get problems with a browser that is reported to work whit this, then the problem is with the theme or the protlets you are using.

And a list like this can be useful to the developers of liferay, so they can see if it's a problem here that they may have missed.
thumbnail
Kaon Zhu, modificado 14 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 15 Data de Entrada: 06/04/09 Postagens Recentes
Thanks Tobias, for your valuable work.

Browser Support is always a important issue when you are running public portals. As a portal provider, you need to ensure the accessibility of your portals. To us, base on our statistics from 20+ portals for the last month, we found that around 40% of them still using IE6, 20% using IE 7 & 8, 30% using Firefox 2 & 3 and 10% for the others: Opera, Safari ...

Thus, when we evaluating portal platforms, browser support is one of the most important figures. I agreed that most of browser issues for Liferay may due to themes used. But at least, we need to know how the fundamental of Liferay supports, e.g. the sample bundle provided by Liferay.

Interestingly, when I post this reply, I found the 'Emoticons' icon of the editor does work for Firefox 3 and IE6...
thumbnail
Vikash Pareek, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 15 Data de Entrada: 11/12/12 Postagens Recentes
Thanks Tobias to initiate this thread,

When i am using internet explorer then i found unexpected behavior of liferay 6.1 .

1. Image is not uploaded on media gallery portlet. it show following error message :

Media files must be one of the following formats: audio/basic, audio/mid, audio/midi, audio/mod, audio/mp3, audio/mpeg, audio/mpeg3, audio/ogg, audio/vorbis, audio/wav, audio/x-mid, audio/x-midi, audio/x-mod, audio/x-mpeg, audio/x-pn-realaudio, audio/x-realaudio, audio/x-wav, image/bmp, image/gif, image/jpeg, image/png, image/tiff, image/x-ms-bmp, image/x-tiff, video/avi, video/mp4, video/mpeg, video/ogg, video/quicktime, video/x-flv, video/x-m4v, video/x-ms-wmv, video/x-msvideo.

2. image uploaded but not preview in documents and media portlet, only image's icon is preview. and this image can't be preview on any browser if it is uploaded by internet explorer.

3. while uploading video, it can not be view in full screen.

So please tell me either i am doing any mistake or it's dependency of liferay 6.1 on browser ?
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Supported web browser is dependent on version of liferay. It'll be nice to have a wiki page showing which web browser version is supported by which liferay version.
thumbnail
Vikash Pareek, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 15 Data de Entrada: 11/12/12 Postagens Recentes
Thanks Hitoshi
thumbnail
Eric Brennan, modificado 16 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 21 Data de Entrada: 29/10/07 Postagens Recentes
I had to switch over to firefox and IE was using way too much memory. I was seeing major slow down issues and thought it was the liferay server. After I switched browsers there was a huge difference. I know firefox is known for its memory leak issues, but at least with liferay I have found the opposite.
Arne T. Mossin, modificado 16 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 26 Data de Entrada: 22/01/08 Postagens Recentes
Eric Brennan:
I had to switch over to firefox and IE was using way too much memory. I was seeing major slow down issues and thought it was the liferay server. After I switched browsers there was a huge difference. I know firefox is known for its memory leak issues, but at least with liferay I have found the opposite.

It is possible to leak memory from javascript: http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/closuresleak/index.shtml
I think there is a possibly that it does that on liferay. After I installed liferay and started testing with it the memory usage in firefox has increased dramatically, but I has yet to test it out to find the course of this. It is also a much higher workload on the client when browsing here at liferay or on my local liferay-test site compared to when I browse around anywhere else - also on sites with heavy javascript usage.