Fórum

What out-of-the-box functionality is in liferay?

Bruce Wood, modificado 10 Anos atrás.

What out-of-the-box functionality is in liferay?

New Member Postagens: 8 Data de Entrada: 24/05/13 Postagens Recentes
I've just started using liferay. I want to build a site that has articles with commenting enabled and discussion forums.

I have to say that my first impressions of liferay are that it is only suitable for an enterprise with a large budget to extensively customize it. But I could be missing something..?

For example: let's say I want to put a simple piece of html on a page, for example an article. There should be a way of doing that. A portlet that does it out-of-the-box.

But the only portlet I've found - and please correct me if I'm wrong - is the web content display portlet. That portlet by default puts a large box at the top of the piece of html saying 'Web Content Display'. Why does it do that? How do you stop it doing that? You can make your own title instead. But it still displays in a clunky box. Is that really the default and only way of presenting html content liferay offers without customization?

Many thanks.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado 10 Anos atrás.

RE: What out-of-the-box functionality is in liferay? (Resposta)

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1399 Data de Entrada: 17/09/10 Postagens Recentes
Bruce Wood:
I've just started using liferay. I want to build a site that has articles with commenting enabled and discussion forums.

I have to say that my first impressions of liferay are that it is only suitable for an enterprise with a large budget to extensively customize it. But I could be missing something..?

For example: let's say I want to put a simple piece of html on a page, for example an article. There should be a way of doing that. A portlet that does it out-of-the-box.

But the only portlet I've found - and please correct me if I'm wrong - is the web content display portlet. That portlet by default puts a large box at the top of the piece of html saying 'Web Content Display'. Why does it do that? How do you stop it doing that? You can make your own title instead. But it still displays in a clunky box. Is that really the default and only way of presenting html content liferay offers without customization?

Many thanks.

Hey Bruce, welcome to the community! I think the quick answer is that on that clunky box, if you click the "Look & Feel" button at the upper right, you can turn off the "Show Borders" which will get rid of those borders and boxes and make it look less rectilinear and from the year 2004. Section 7.1 (page 197) of the user guide goes into great detail on this (I'd normally point you at the HTML online version of the docs but they currently have broken images).

You can make this even easier by grabbing the "WYSIWYG" app which is basically a simplification of what you're doing, allowing you to quickly make and put content on pages without worrying about all that complexity. Of course, under the hood there is a lot of power and flexibility once you start making more complex sites.
Bruce Wood, modificado 10 Anos atrás.

RE: What out-of-the-box functionality is in liferay?

New Member Postagens: 8 Data de Entrada: 24/05/13 Postagens Recentes
Hi James
Thanks for your full reply. Yes, I missed all those formatting options.. I should look more carefully..
Regards
Bruce