Fórum

struts version

thumbnail
Eric Devlin, modificado 15 Anos atrás.

struts version

Regular Member Postagens: 154 Data de Entrada: 19/02/08 Postagens Recentes
Hey,
Just wondering there was a plan to change the version of struts that is shipped with liferay? Isn't it the 1.2.9 version?
Eric
thumbnail
Ching Ice-creaming, modificado 10 Anos atrás.

RE: struts version

Junior Member Postagens: 28 Data de Entrada: 02/03/13 Postagens Recentes
Now I understand why Jelmer Kuperus said:
Jelmer Kuperus:
even 2 line patches get ignored 80% of the time

Eric Devlin raised this question many years ago, but Liferay staff ignored it.

See the last 10 comments of this link: http://www.liferay.com/web/james.falkner/blog/-/blogs/new-release-liferay-portal-6-1-ce-ga3
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 10 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14917 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
Don't think there are any plans to do so, no.

Liferay is not in the portlet creation business. They have a whole slew of portlets available OOTB, but they are as lightweight as they can possibly be (they are there to show off Liferay, not the portlets).

Struts is still one of the most lightweight frameworks for MVC patterns, so basing the OOTB portlets on struts 1 is a good thing for Liferay.

Besides, I don't want Liferay working on recreating the hangman portlet under struts 2 or something; I want them working on the portal core to provide functionality that I can leverage in my own portlets.
thumbnail

This time I don't agree with you.
Although Liferay core cannot live without old Struts 1.2.9 at this moment, I do believe they can fix it.

My viewpoint of lightweight is different from yours. If I went back to Struts 1, I would rather quit. Struts2 is much more simpler, lightweight and powerful (for example: see the threading model: http://struts.apache.org/release/2.1.x/docs/comparing-struts-1-and-2.html).

If I were a Liferay opponent, I really want Liferay working on Struts 1 being an underdog of the portals.war games. That I can leverage in my own portlets too... That I can leverage in my own pet project too: http://code.google.com/p/jasperrocks is a simple cross-platform JSR-286 portlet example showing off "powered by Apache Struts2".

David H Nebinger, I bet my two cents that Liferay core team will upgrade or replace deprecated Struts 1.2.9 sooner or later.
thumbnail

End of life does not mean disappearing from the face of the earth. Struts 1 was the backbone of web development for the period of time it was 'at the top', and most web developers will have at least passing experience in struts 1.

The reality is that the OOTB portlets are working. There's no reason to pursue changing them just because there's a banner on the apache website about end of life. There are still tons of people out there that know struts 1, it's totally open source anyway (so you can self support cuz it's so simple; even the EOL notice tells you how you can do it).

At the end of the day, the "portal.wars" that you see going on, the winner is not going to be selected based on how their OOTB portlets are implemented. They'll be based on the functionality of the portal, the portlet 'flavors' they support (struts 1&2, vaadin, jsf, groovy, ...), and how complicated they are to setup, configure, and run.
thumbnail

Once again, I don't agree with you.
End-of-life (EOL) means a vendor will no longer support for the product. In other word, it means "use at your own risk" (UAYOR)

David H Nebinger:
it's totally open source anyway (so you can self support cuz it's so simple; even the EOL notice tells you how you can do it).

Easier said than done. If it is so simple, are you willing to patch Struts 1.x of Liferay on the following day ?

This is a technical debt of http://sourceforge.net/blog/open-source-business-liferay/
Byran Cheung:
"In the coming years, certain architectures became convention (Hibernate – Struts – EJB, later replaced by Spring)"

http://www.liferay.com/web/raymond.auge/blog/-/blogs/liferay-6-2-targets-java-6-and-ant-1-8.
As always, Liferay is planning EOL cycle, but why no Struts 1.x ?
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado 10 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 978 Data de Entrada: 03/01/10 Postagens Recentes
Ching (or whatever your name is), to me you are getting annoying ; I can't tell if you even use Liferay enough to know or are just tilting against Liferay for some hidden agenda via scraping forum posts

Some of us are honest enough to use our real names and then abide by it.

Struts 1 is fundamental to Liferay is still supported ... by Liferay. Struts2 portlets (Portlet 2.0) are also supported.
thumbnail

Jack Bakker,
Ching is my real name. I am sorry to annoy you. I am not good enough in using Liferay. There is no hidden agenda. I am comparing different portals and tell what I find.

Jack Bakker:
Some of us are honest enough to use our real names and then abide by it.
That's why I use my real name Ching to let Liferay staff to know who I am.

Jack Bakker,
1. You and I are guilty of writing tangential nonsense before.

2. I have just followed the rule to post complaints that are substantiated, then you said getting annoyed tangentially.

3. I provide evidences coming from Liferay itself, but you tangentially question my intention.

4. I can't tell if you even use Struts 1.x and Struts 2.x enough, but I work with Struts a lot that Liferay support both of them bascially and badly. It seems that Liferay don't know Struts2 advanced features.

5. Thank you for let me know that this forum like preaching Christianity in Muslim temple, nobody like his favourite portal being criticized. Hence I shall write negative comments outside.

I don't know why Hitoshi Ozawa disappear, but I disappear now, bye bye.

Here is my last advice to Liferay, don't be.... "Jack of all trades, master of none" !
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado 10 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 978 Data de Entrada: 03/01/10 Postagens Recentes
Ching, I don't think you need to dissappear. More than a few times you've given me a good laugh, so thanks for that at least. You also have helped me become less 'off the wall' (= less tangential) so that I might distract less. I think you/I have a similar sense of humor.

I've done my fair share of Struts2 portlets including those I have deployed to Liferay. In a Liferay v5.2.3 install I have many Struts2 custom portlets (albeit pre JSR286/Portlet2.0). I think Struts2 is pretty 'cool'. But for since Liferay v6.0, I have chosen Vaadin and MVCPortlet - Vaadin for desktop-like apps for desktop browser use ; and MVCPortlet for most else including to take advantage of IDE/LDS tooling, and cater to responsive layouts.

Yes much in Liferay behind the scenes still uses Struts1. But custom portlet developers are free to use Struts2, Vaadin, MVCPortlet, ...

I think there is much room for healthy debate to evolve portals. However, I am seeing you posting a similar message again and again - where I am wondering if you actually use Liferay...
thumbnail

Ching Ice-creaming:
I don't know why Hitoshi Ozawa disappear, but I disappear now, bye bye.

I know Hitoshi, and you're no Hitoshi. emoticon

That said, I don't think any of us want to shut people out of the forums. We all have something to contribute, and we should all try to see the value in each contribution.