Fórum

Utility of liferay portal with the bundle Tomcat

thumbnail
selma oO, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Utility of liferay portal with the bundle Tomcat

New Member Postagens: 13 Data de Entrada: 26/06/12 Postagens Recentes
Hello,
the installation of the liferay portal with Eclipse requires some files to download from the official website of liferay ...
one of them is called "liferay-portal-tomcat" (or liferay portal, bundled with tomcat) ...
my question is it possible to add and configure tomcat with eclipse without recourse to this bundle?!
What is the utility of this bundle?
what they are these files? You can find attached the file structure of Liferay portal-tomcat?!!
Regards.
Selma.
thumbnail
Jignesh Vachhani, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

RE: Utility of liferay portal with the bundle Tomcat

Liferay Master Postagens: 803 Data de Entrada: 10/03/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi Selma,

Please see answer here :

Data : This folder needed to store repository data,lucene data etc
Deploy : This folder is for hot deployment of war files
licence: If you are using Liferay EE , then license will be executed here
logs : for server log might be
portal-setup-wizard.properties : stored default setting when you setup liferay first time
thumbnail

Thank you Jignesh ,
Please can you write again the link that you tell me to follow it ? because it doesn't appear for me.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Before you've done anything, haven't you opened up and read "readme" file?
thumbnail

Hi Hitoshi,

In fact, I read it when you told me that, but I haven't found an explanation of what I want to know! .
My question essentially concerns: is that you can install Tomcat alone and not that of liferay portal with Tomcat bundle??
Is there a difference between Tomcat server and Liferay CE server (Tomcat) .

Thx.
Selma.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14919 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
There is basically no difference between a standard tomcat and the bundle.

Data directory is a directory used by Liferay to store it's local lucene databases, the doc repository, etc. It does not have to be in the tomcat directory, it can be located anywhere and set in portal-ext.properties.

Deploy directory is the hot deploy directory Liferay checks for new plugins. When it finds one here, it will deploy it automagically while tweaking some of the files during deployment (modifies web.xml, adds dependent jars, etc.). This too does not need to be in the tomcat directory and can be set in portal-ext.properties.

License directory is probably related just to EE. I haven't checked, but this is probably settable in portal-ext.properties.

Logs directory is where the console logs will be written. This path is determined via the conf/logging.properties file and can be relocated.

The properties files are used by the ide and the liferay wizard, and readme is just that.

There are other differences between a stock tomcat and the bundle. You should use a comparison tool to identify all of the differences. For example, the bundle has a lib/ext directory w/ some additional jars and the directory is included in the conf/catalina.properties directory.

You can deploy Liferay to an existing tomcat, but it takes additional work on your part to do the deployment (see the doco for all that's involved).

The Liferay Tomcat Bundle is just an easy download package to springboard someone into using Liferay under Tomcat w/o jumping through all of the necessary hoops.
thumbnail

Really really thank you very much David for your precise and rapid answer.