Fórum

The Community Edition Patchers Community

thumbnail
Aad Nales, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

The Community Edition Patchers Community

New Member Postagens: 24 Data de Entrada: 05/01/12 Postagens Recentes
Hi Everybody,

As we all know there are currently no new builds for the community edition in between releases. What i am trying to achieve is to bring together a group of companies that base their services on the community edition and that like us would like to have regular builds with most or all patches included. What i want to create is a patchers community with a shared build. If an average patch to build process takes a couple of hours and Liferay (the company) fixes about 30 per month then we need about 30 companies that commit a couple of hours every month. Obviously this patched community edition will be made available to all.

So what i need is thirty business owners that say yes! Perhaps Liferay itself would provide a bit of infrastructure? This way the overall quality of the community edition can be improved and that should benefit us all. How about it?
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

RE: The Community Edition Patchers Community

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1228 Data de Entrada: 14/04/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi Aad, very interesting suggestion. If all goes well you can count our company resources (and infrastructure) in.

It would be very interesting to see James' (Falkner) response to it ...
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 3089 Data de Entrada: 28/10/08 Postagens Recentes
I am releasing once a year patches for CE in this forums, so I could be in this group too emoticon
thumbnail
Tuomo Kujanpää, modificado 10 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 32 Data de Entrada: 03/01/08 Postagens Recentes
More than two years old CKEditor 3.5.2 in 6.1.1 is not working for iOS devices and is also quite broken for e.g. IE10 which is amazingly increasing in popularity.

I suggest ... LPS-30346 Upgrade CKEditor to version 4.0 stable ... included in the patch for 6.1.1.
thumbnail
Aniceto P Madrid, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 120 Data de Entrada: 24/05/08 Postagens Recentes
Hi

I detect and do some patches when needed. Great Idea. I hope you have experience in dealing with something so big as Liferay. Issues are registered in JIRA, but get the fix is not always so easy. In fact, if the issue has already be fixed, it would be better to use that fix for forward compatibility.

It will be required to start with the sources of the CE release to apply patches on them. I'm not sure if Liferay guys are very happy with this, because this competes with EE subscription.

Count on me for a few hours a week.
thumbnail

About the competitive aspect with the Enterprise edition:

I don't believe that this would compete at any real level. The large companies that buy EE level support do this to assure themselves of a point of escalation in case of problems. What we do could potentially hurt the "bronze" business a bit but since we don't guarantee any SLA's or stuff like that, my feeling would be that it is not competitive at all.

On the positive side. I assume that the calls for help of developers using the community edition don't go unheard. The poor quality of the community edition (feel free to flame if you don't agree) is a reason a lot of developers don't like working with Liferay. That problem needs a fix.
thumbnail

I agree with the quality of CE. Versions x.y.0 are not to be trusted. Versions x.y.1 are usually better.

The fact that the release cycle of CE, in not very bugging condition, is about 10 months and the lack of roadmap are topics to be improved. Release notes includying the list of bugs fixed and added features between CE releases is a common practice, not yet in Liferay. I think better to slow down adding features and improve the quality and documentation of the portal.

Back to the main topic: I think a crucial task is how to deliver these patches in a safe and easy way. Besides, patch appliers must take into account that patches or new portal images may seriously affect deployed ext, and hook plugins. Therefore, if new portal images are to be delivered every... week, sources snapshot must also be provided every week, and also release notes.
thumbnail

It is hard to disagree with you
thumbnail

Guys,

I have asked Liferay how they look towards an initiative like this, i await their answer, if i don't hear anything this week i will start planning next steps,

cheers,
Aad
thumbnail

Last week I read some tweets about Liferay is now a Git hub and a "happy forking!". So it seems Liferay is not against that. They are proud of being open source.

I am a bit worried about the size of the task and if there are enough people to deal with it.
thumbnail

Hi Aniceto,

I understand your worry and i share it. The amount of traffic on this forum pushed the original discussion down but i am very happy with four response so far. My guess is that if we can combine the effort with Liferay itself it might be relatively easy to find volunteers. From our site we would happily donate a couple of hours if that means that we getter better builds.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Last week I read some tweets about Liferay is now a Git hub and a "happy forking!". So it seems Liferay is not against that. They are proud of being open source.

I think that's more about forking the current development build with all the new feature being developed instead of GA releases.

Anyways, quality of their CE isn't improving too much and it seems quality of EE releases aren't much different either. I think Liferay.com is selling their "potential" to fix a bug rather than a bug free version so I don't think this initiative will matter too much.
thumbnail
Christianto Sahat, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 179 Data de Entrada: 25/09/07 Postagens Recentes
This is an interesting initiative. I'm available a few hours a week to help.

Let us know the progress on this thread.
thumbnail
Sampsa Sohlman, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 230 Data de Entrada: 27/09/07 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

Some thoughts..

Git basically allows community to easily take more control of Liferay CE development. Only thing is needed is fork emoticon and which would gain popularity, and starts accept and pull requests.

Other is how to make release. That should be at least half automatic. The quality of the release still is issue, like professional software development where basic usage testing is automated and release candidate would be done when the all the automated robot tests has passed. This might require too much from contributors, since usually professionally testing and testing automation is done by professionals. May be there would be community testers (Bugsquad) , who could maintain also automatic tests and write new ones.

Infrastructure could be hosted on cloud like http://www.cloudbees.com/ or just on Amazon CE if required or Liferay. More CE releases would give more back to community, which would encourage more contributions and everyone would be winners. I believe that Liferay would surely benefit of this, since they would have free fixes also for EE and overall quality would rise.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1399 Data de Entrada: 17/09/10 Postagens Recentes
Aad Nales:
Hi Everybody,

As we all know there are currently no new builds for the community edition in between releases. What i am trying to achieve is to bring together a group of companies that base their services on the community edition and that like us would like to have regular builds with most or all patches included. What i want to create is a patchers community with a shared build. If an average patch to build process takes a couple of hours and Liferay (the company) fixes about 30 per month then we need about 30 companies that commit a couple of hours every month. Obviously this patched community edition will be made available to all.

So what i need is thirty business owners that say yes! Perhaps Liferay itself would provide a bit of infrastructure? This way the overall quality of the community edition can be improved and that should benefit us all. How about it?

Hey Aad,

One of my big goals this year is helping to get our community back to the source in our open source roots. You probably saw Jorge's blog on Github and Liferay, and we have embraced its model of fork and contribute wholeheartedly, as we are unabashedly open source, and I think tools like Github make this much easier. Therefore, I am happy to see your efforts in this kind of community work and I think there will be a big benefit all around.

Did you have an idea of how to structure this? I'm willing to help as much as I can; as I'm sure others here can as well. Juan G in particular has some experience managing patches and can probably help too! But before I taint you with my wild ideas, I'd like to see what you're thinking emoticon Perhaps a wiki page proposal so everyone can chime in?

Thanks again for this Aad. I'm really excited to see what the community can come up with, for the community. Cheers!
thumbnail
Peter B West, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 56 Data de Entrada: 24/03/09 Postagens Recentes
Great idea.

First thing would be to determine the best clone point. Hitoshi is rightly skeptical about the current state of the source tree, but I suspect we would need to start from the current trunk (lets say 6.2.x, although no such branch currently exists.) James has been looking at tidying up the build, which would be useful.

I think git's cherry-picking is not for the faint-hearted, so it would be pretty much a necessity to keep synchronised with the liferay upstream. That said, just setting up branches and tags from which a build can be simply and successfully be done would be a great boon. Another crying need is for clean upgrades.

Lots to talk about.

In addition to a wiki and the like, I suggest putting a Google+ circle together, and using hangouts for online discussions. These have the nice side-effect of leaving a recording in youtube.
thumbnail

Peter B West:
First thing would be to determine the best clone point. Hitoshi is rightly skeptical about the current state of the source tree, but I suspect we would need to start from the current trunk (lets say 6.2.x, although no such branch currently exists.) James has been looking at tidying up the build, which would be useful.

I would say that currently best and most benefit point to continue would be 6.1.x branch or may be even 6.1.1 tag. Currently trunk is too far from production ready. For most of the people it would be important to get fixes to their community edition. Git with branching per feature/bug might do the job pretty well.

Peter B West:
In addition to a wiki and the like, I suggest putting a Google+ circle together, and using hangouts for online discussions. These have the nice side-effect of leaving a recording in youtube.

I like the idea.
thumbnail

Sampsa Sohlman:

I would say that currently best and most benefit point to continue would be 6.1.x branch or may be even 6.1.1 tag. Currently trunk is too far from production ready. For most of the people it would be important to get fixes to their community edition. Git with branching per feature/bug might do the job pretty well.

I agree with Sampsa, lets start with the biggest itch, which is the current release? Does anybody else see this differently?

Next: What do we need in terms of infrastructure? Do we need to relate to the current bug tracking software? Wikis? Forums?
thumbnail

If we are going to do something, a task list shoud be done, like this:

First, I think the best would be to start from current released CE:6.1.1.

Second, set some kind of robot to see which bugs, from code released up to 6.1.1 have been fixed and apply those fixes to our branch, and run that robot every one or two days to detect new fixes.

Three, elaborate a list of urgent bugs to be fixed (jira references) for our community to address them, tagged by portlet service or whatever.

Four, select experienced open source people to setup the environment, create wikis with HOWTOS to simplify member access to sources and setup protocol to submit changes and commit changes.

Five select experienced Liferay people to become commiters.

Needless to say that our fixes, once commited should be added to the official Liferay sources.

An agile methodology like 'virtual' scrum would be interesting, in order to focus on a service, a portlet or whatever and create springs (list of bugs, deadline, assigments). Once a group of fixes have been done, sources should be tagged, tested, packaged and released if ready. At least there should be a release every month.

Probably a message board with categories related to those groups of bugs would be interesting. And very important: every category should have an archive subcategory to prevent infinite lists of threads. Of course other categories would be interesting.
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:
Second, set some kind of robot to see which bugs, from code released up to 6.1.1 have been fixed and apply those fixes to our branch, and run that robot every one or two days to detect new fixes.

Implementing automated robot testing and maintaining these test is big job, so we would need voluntary testers who can automate their job. Liferay seems have Selenium system and the tests are also at github, so that could be the base for that.

One thing which would help to keep quality is try to implement good unit test coverage with clean code on fixes that we do. The unit test then would guard the the implemented logic little bit more.
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:

An agile methodology like 'virtual' scrum would be interesting, in order to focus on a service, a portlet or whatever and create springs (list of bugs, deadline, assigments). Once a group of fixes have been done, sources should be tagged, tested, packaged and released if ready. At least there should be a release every month.

Hi Aniceto,

I have nothing against the method, but keep one thing thing in mind. When running an open source project the key thing is "those who do, decide". So i would pretty much advocate an approach in which people "pick the fix" and apply it. Together with a voting system of what everybody feels should be applied first. This basically means that as a fixer you "know" what is important but you can still focus on what you believe is the most important. This assumes that people who donate time will choose "responsibly".

The committer part is going to be interesting. I don't know how we know who to pick? Is there any way to gauge experience? Any suggestions?

Finally i would like to ask again, what do we need in order to get started. My company Rotterdam CS is willing to provide the first infrastructure (within reason) but if Liferay (James?) can make some resources available this would probably be better.

Personally i am a great believer in "eat you own dog food" so what do we need to integrate into Liferay to have a platform for our "Patchers Community"?

Just my $0.02

Aad Nales
thumbnail

One question is if we'll be just updating a source code, creating a patch, and/or build a stable build. Is this going to be a direct update of liferay's source code or a plugin?

How about making a simple task board so 2 people won't be trying to fix the same thing.

Committer is interesting but is there anybody who can become one? I think there is a need to have someone pull the codes together (merge the codes).
thumbnail

Aad Nales:
Aniceto P Madrid:

Hi Aniceto,

I have nothing against the method, but keep one thing thing in mind. When running an open source project the key thing is "those who do, decide". So i would pretty much advocate an approach in which people "pick the fix" and apply it. Together with a voting system of what everybody feels should be applied first. This basically means that as a fixer you "know" what is important but you can still focus on what you believe is the most important. This assumes that people who donate time will choose "responsibly".

The committer part is going to be interesting. I don't know how we know who to pick? Is there any way to gauge experience? Any suggestions?

Finally i would like to ask again, what do we need in order to get started. My company Rotterdam CS is willing to provide the first infrastructure (within reason) but if Liferay (James?) can make some resources available this would probably be better.

Personally i am a great believer in "eat you own dog food" so what do we need to integrate into Liferay to have a platform for our "Patchers Community"?

Just my $0.02

Aad Nales

Hey Aad, as a "back of the napkin" proposal, what about this:

- Use Github to maintain a fork for each GA release
- Designate "some" people as a team of committers (those who have the time and who you feel would do the best job and have experience w/Git and coding, i.e. a community meritocracy)
- The community can fork that and submit pull requests to the committers
- Committers review and potentially pull in changes from whoever is willing to participate
- For any fixes that do not originate from the upstream Liferay master branch, committers can work with Liferay core engineering to submit pull requests back to Liferay
- Use a machine donated by Rotterdam CS emoticon to do nightly builds and post the resulting builds to github's "downloads" area

Thoughts?
thumbnail

Just decided:

We will donate a machine and will start with some non descript domainname something like lcepatchers.org (not taken yet, but who knows :-). Our guys will start setting it up nd once it is ready to roll we will start.

We will take a look at the first "low tech" method of claiming a fix.Which basically means that for the next week you are the one working on it, scouts honor, nothing fancy.

We will bring a site live to support our collaboration if and when needed. For now a thread in the liferay.com forums might be sufficient. We will report back in this thread the moment the stuff is up and running.

cheers,
Aad
Peter Kowski, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 26 Data de Entrada: 01/08/12 Postagens Recentes
I for one would be very glad to take part in any such project. Without previosly seeing this thread, I started another one yesterday venting some of my frustrations with the Liferay repository and the so-called branch named 6.1.x
http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/16201750
Sergio Ramazzina, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 6 Data de Entrada: 08/06/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi everyone,

I'm very sorry I started participating in this discussion just now because of the argument is very interesting and very hot. I would like to participate as much as I can.
I'm already actively involved in another important community and a lot of value came back to me for my company and my customers. So I would like to do the same with the Liferay community. At the moment I don't have much time I think a few hours per week but I'll try to do as much as I can .

Please keep me posted on this topic.

Regards

Sergoi
thumbnail
Marcelo Aberastain, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 23 Data de Entrada: 12/12/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi All,

In order to make this happens, the first steps have been done:

* A new organization has been created in github: https://github.com/Liferay-Patchers-Community/
* The Liferay portal project has been forked: https://github.com/Liferay-Patchers-Community/liferay-portal
* The domain lcepatchers.org has been registered.
* Rotterdam CS has provided a server and we have installed there a LR instance. You can access to it form here http://lcepatchers.org (it is competely empty at the moment, we should decide together how should look like and what functionality should be init).

Pending activities:

* Create the Liferay community patchers web site( I mean, style and give content and functionality to the site)(suggestions?)
* Decide the commiters team.(suggestions?)
* Set a nightly/weekly(depending on the amount of fixed issues) build and publish it under download section in github
*Any other idea on how should we follow?

All suggestions are welcome!! Please don't hesitate to send them!

Cheers,
thumbnail

Great Marcelo!

I have a patch for many solved LPS. Perhaps I can do a pull request so we can isolate each commit and identify it by its LPS....What do you think?
thumbnail
Luis Mas, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 146 Data de Entrada: 18/05/09 Postagens Recentes
Marcelo/Juan, from which version are you going to patch? It seems https://github.com/Liferay-Patchers-Community has a fork from master branch, and not from 6.1.1.
thumbnail

Luis Mas:
Marcelo/Juan, from which version are you going to patch? It seems https://github.com/Liferay-Patchers-Community has a fork from master branch, and not from 6.1.1.

Forget my question... https://github.com/Liferay-Patchers-Community/liferay-portal/tree/6.1.1-ga2
thumbnail

Hi All,

I am sorry i have been absent for such a long two days!! but i have been really busy. I think Juan suggestion is a good one. Any other idea?

Next week i will put some extra hours to make this run a little bit faster!!

BTW, @James, Are Liferay staff going to take in consideration our pull requests?

I am really exited with the idea of having such a community!!

Thanks all for the help!

Marcelo.
thumbnail

Nice to see that this is progressing.

We still work with 6.1.x branch.

I suggest that we create branch for every issue and then make pull request to https://github.com/Liferay-Patchers-Community/liferay-portal/tree/6.1.x.

I still have to improve my skills how to use git.

I'm in.
thumbnail

Hi All,

I am here again with some questions in order to continue moving forward..

1)How to work
I still think Juan suggestion is a very good one. So Do you all agree that we will apply LPS - Errors already fixed ? Then we will have after every build a new version with some issues fixed and we won't have to wait up the next release of LR. At the same time we will have all commits identified by its LPS number. Any other suggestion?

BTW: Is there any easy/automatic way to see which LPS have been fixed? (different than going to http://issues.liferay.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?) Or Any way of seeing the LPS we have applied and the ones still need to be applied?

I think after a new version is deployed by LR, we should start over with the new version . Do you all agree?

2)Testing
Is there any automatic testing we could apply? Is LR staff using something ?

3)Our Portal
For the empty site www.lcepatchers.org, i think we should define the site structure (let's start with something simple) , Any volunteer? (We could include a forum, newsletter, etc)
We should also create a theme for it. Any volunteer?

I think it would be grate to have a portlet that integrate github with LR. So we could automatically know, which issues have been applied, who did it, rank developers for the amount of commits , etc. What do you think? If you agree, Any volunteers?

IMHO, these are some questions we should answer before continue.. please feel free to add any other suggestion.

Marcelo.
thumbnail

Well I've released patch for 6.1.1 which solves (or supposed to :-P) many issues:

http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/16708094

Now we have two options:

* Send my patch as a commit to Community Edition Patchers Community in github and from now on every commit would be separate.
* I would have to separate all the commits I've made into separate commits into github. Right now I am a little tired to do this, because I would have to make the patches again for every issue. I did this in my SVN, but many files are touched by more than one LPS, so if we want to separate each LPS from 6.1.1 sources it could be some time-spending.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
I think it would be nice to have individual commits for each LPS so that you can pick and choose the ones you need. That's how I maintain my own 6.1.1 patches branch.
thumbnail

Yes Mika, that is the best option.
thumbnail
Ákos Gábriel, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 33 Data de Entrada: 05/10/09 Postagens Recentes
Technically I agree with Mika and you.

But I like in your approach that it's simply: usable !

Having a cumulative patch, which solves several issues (and doesn't cause new ones) is always nice.
What I miss in Liferay CE is a faster release cycle, these patches help me at this point.
If I'm the 'average Joe" sysadmin, I won't have the time and the skills to pick and collect the github patches that I need to apply to resolve my issues.
At most I have the resources and knowledge to recompile the source. Best would be a binary distribution. Without any implied or expressed warranty of course (as usual).

Akos
thumbnail

Hi All,

It is nice to see people commenting again!!
I completely agree with Mika, Individual commits for each LPS would be great!! Let's try to do it in this way.

Ákos, don't worry about picking up the rigth LPS. The idea is to make nightly/weekly (depending on how this goes) builds and make them available for download. So you won't be force to choose anything at least you wish of course. But in general, the community should be able to just download the compiled version. RCS is setting a server up to do this automatically. I will let you know as soon as this is done so we can start committing patches.

Any answer to my previous post? (theme, portal, volunteers, etc)

Cheers,
Marcelo
thumbnail

Hi Juan

When changing in 6.1.1 the layout name for a language distinct from the default language the portlet layout_admin fails a lot of times. Have you fixed this issue?

The asset_categories_admin fails also a lot of times, changes the vocabulary of categories, breaks the leftCategoryId-rightCategoryId structure, etc. Have you fixed this also?

I couldn't find in Jira the LPS reference.

Thanks
thumbnail

Mmm doesn't sound those issues to me. Can you check it with patch applied?
thumbnail

Hi All,

It has been a while from the last time i wrote something here but i am glad to announce some good news :

* Folks from Preoteon(http://www.proteon.nl ) will provide the portal for lcepatchers.org and the auto-build settings. (This is going to be ready soon. Probably next week). I will let you know when this is ready so you can create your accounts in the portal.

Juan, i saw the post where you announced a lot patches. Could you pull request them to our github repository?(BTW, very well done!) . I know we agreed to makes commits just one per LPS but I think we could do an exception in this case. ( at least you want to split them all).

As soon as we have our first patched version available we will be officially live!! (I hope next week!!)

Cheers,
Marcelo
thumbnail
Ivano Carrara, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 345 Data de Entrada: 03/07/05 Postagens Recentes
Hi Marcelo,

Did you know if the service can provide aldo patched versions of the various Liferay's plugin (Kaleo, Calendard, etc.) ?

Thank you in advance for a comment...

Ivano C.
thumbnail

Ivano,

I am not sure, i will check and i will let you know.

Marcelo
thumbnail
Sander Bilo, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 21 Data de Entrada: 02/12/10 Postagens Recentes
Hi Ivano,

We're currently working on setting up a build environment based on Jenkins at lcepatchers.org, it should be ready somewhere next week. Initially it will be building current fork in the github repository. Since the server will be idle most of the time we can probably have it build patched plugins or older versions of Liferay as well.

Sander
thumbnail

Ok just let me some days more to add more issues patches to my "big" patch. Will let you know when I finish...

Thanks for your support!
thumbnail
Wieteke den Uijl, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 56 Data de Entrada: 19/04/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi all,

so we're working on getting the lcepatchers.org ready for use and wanted to get an RSS feed of this discussion shown there, so the discussion can remain here, which I think is the best place for it. Problem is that RSS feeds from the message boards at Liferay.com seem to be empty. iFrame also does not show that easily, since it jumps to the last message at the bottom of the page. Anyone have a suggestion on how to place this discussion on lcepatchers.org with RSS?
thumbnail

I've been testing in several ways and RSS for a thread doesn'n work for me also.

But maybe could be more useful if Liferay could open a new thread for Comunity Patches. It could be inside Liferay Portal -> English -> 10. Comunity Patches.
thumbnail
Ákos Gábriel, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 33 Data de Entrada: 05/10/09 Postagens Recentes
Asking Liferay to fix their RSS? emoticon
Alejandro Alvarez, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 13 Data de Entrada: 10/09/12 Postagens Recentes
Hi All,

Nice to meet you, "posting" here.
I have been reading since its beginning and I'm so happy about how many people is getting involved.

I'd like to suggest that we move entirely, to the site www.lcepatchers.org to start growing there.

Getting people registering there and having them posting there to a new forums would be great.

So let's register us at...

www.lcepatchers.org

Kind Regards
Alejandro
thumbnail

Wieteke den Uijl:
Hi all,

so we're working on getting the lcepatchers.org ready for use and wanted to get an RSS feed of this discussion shown there, so the discussion can remain here, which I think is the best place for it. Problem is that RSS feeds from the message boards at Liferay.com seem to be empty. iFrame also does not show that easily, since it jumps to the last message at the bottom of the page. Anyone have a suggestion on how to place this discussion on lcepatchers.org with RSS?

Hey Wieteke,

Either way (separate category here or on lcepatchers) is good. I'd prefer if it were here though. Let me know!

RSS should work - I just tested it - try this URL: http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/rss?p_l_id=8440747&_19_threadId=15973256 - I think you may have tried to create an RSS feed based on a single message (e.g. with a messageId= in the URL). What I did was go to the category (where there is an 'Actions' flyout for each thread, including an option for RSS, to get the URL). You can do that from any level of the forum hierarchy. Here's the output from curl using the above URL:

[jhf@james-falkners-macbook-pro-2]:~$> curl 'http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/rss?p_l_id=8440747&_19_threadId=15973256'
<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?-->
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
  <title>RE: The Community Edition Patchers Community</title>
  <link rel="alternate" href="http://www.liferay.com/c/message_boards/find_thread?p_l_id=&amp;threadId=15973256">
  <subtitle>RE: The Community Edition Patchers Community</subtitle>
  <entry>
    <title>RE: The Community Edition Patchers Community</title>
    <link rel="alternate" href="http://www.liferay.com/c/message_boards/find_message?p_l_id=&amp;messageId=17114190">
    <author>
      <name>Alejandro Alvarez</name>
    </author>
    <id>http://www.liferay.com/c/message_boards/find_message?p_l_id=&amp;messageId=17114190</id>
    <updated>2012-10-12T14:08:49Z</updated>
    <published>2012-10-12T14:08:49Z</published>
    </entry></feed>Hi All,&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Nice to meet you, &amp;#034;posting&amp;#034; here.&lt;br /&gt;I have been reading since its beginning and I&amp;#039;m so happy about how many people is getting involved.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;I&amp;#039;d like to suggest that we move entirely, to the site www.lcepatchers.org to start growing there.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Getting people registering there and having them posting there to a new forums  would be great.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;So let&amp;#039;s register us at...&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;www.lcepatchers.org&lt;br /&gt;&lt;b

See you next week!
thumbnail
Wieteke den Uijl, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 56 Data de Entrada: 19/04/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi James,

thanks for the help. In browsing through the categories and threads of the forum, I don't get the actions button behind the various categories. Only level I get these on is, if I subscribe myself to the thread and then go to my subscriptions. Maybe something to do with permissions, since I can imagine you have some more than I have @liferay.com. However, I think I can manage to make it work now.

My preference would be to keep the conversation here, but it's not really my call emoticon, it mostly depends on the people actually patching and where they prefer to communicate about this. Thing is that multiple places won't work.

See you on monday and hopefully lots of others too!!
thumbnail

Just one question... what about the security patches? In Github you can find a fork for comunity-security-team with a cumulative patch for 6.1.1.

Regards!!!
thumbnail
Sander Bilo, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 21 Data de Entrada: 02/12/10 Postagens Recentes
Luis Mas:
Just one question... what about the security patches? In Github you can find a fork for comunity-security-team with a cumulative patch for 6.1.1.

Regards!!!

Hi Luis,

We can add the security patchers fork as a remote repository and pull their patches into our fork. This should make it easy to get their patches into our code.
thumbnail

I think It's a must.
thumbnail

Wow, you're right James. In fact I should release a patch for 6.1.1 GA2 very soon. I am patching the last issues (hopefully I didn't patch too much) and after upgrading our Liferay 6.0.5 and see everything is ok, then I will release it.
thumbnail

Juan Gonzalez P:
In fact I should release a patch for 6.1.1 GA2 very soon.

These would be nice to see at 6.1.x branch also emoticon

I'm also implementing one new feature and doing that for 6.1.x since I'm going to use it my self emoticon

I will announce the new feature later emoticon
thumbnail

Sampsa Sohlman:
Juan Gonzalez P:
In fact I should release a patch for 6.1.1 GA2 very soon.

These would be nice to see at 6.1.x branch also emoticon

I'm also implementing one new feature and doing that for 6.1.x since I'm going to use it my self emoticon

I will announce the new feature later emoticon

I'm always interested in a new feature, but I'll prefer not to have additional features included in the patch edition just because
it's suppose to be a patch edition and not a new release. I think this is the main problem liferay.com is having - mixing bug
release with new feature release.
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1228 Data de Entrada: 14/04/08 Postagens Recentes
I completely agree with Hitoshi (++++).

If you have a new feature you better make sure that it becomes an independent, separately maintained and deployable element of a portal, portlet/hook/servlet/etc. Otherwise, does not matter how good it is, it might be wiped out from further versions by Liferay release team for various reasons, lack of time, architectural suitability, and so on.

(Once it is done, put it to Community Plugins... Well plugins zone does not exists any more, so it looks like the community would have to create one independently, for more clarification details see the Marketplace area of this forum)
thumbnail

Victor Zorin:
If you have a new feature you better make sure that it becomes an independent, separately maintained and deployable element of a portal, portlet/hook/servlet/etc. Otherwise, does not matter how good it is, it might be wiped out from further versions by Liferay release team for various reasons, lack of time, architectural suitability, and so on.

My point was to take 6.1.x git branch as a base.

The feature that I'm developing is different story, and that is modifying quite a lot Liferay core functionality so I'm not yet sure if it can be extracted as only Hook + Portlet plugin. Anyway I will release that to community, because I know that it will be useful fore some else too.
thumbnail

The feature that I'm developing is different story, and that is modifying quite a lot Liferay core functionality so I'm not yet sure if it can be extracted as only Hook + Portlet plugin

I've done a similar thing to localize liferay for Japanese users. I've modified entities and relations and disabled some portlets to name a few. However, I think this is a different topic than making patches for the GA releases so I don't want to mix it. Neverthess, since this is my base GA release I'll be using, I'll like to have patches information which I can use with my version.
thumbnail

Agree with Histoshi too. All my patches are only for bugs obtained from Liferay JIRA. I only apply changes made by Liferay staff to ensure quality....
thumbnail

Juan Gonzalez P:
Agree with Histoshi too. All my patches are only for bugs obtained from Liferay JIRA. I only apply changes made by Liferay staff to ensure quality....

Hi Juan, made by Liferay staff or Contributed by the Community and Accepted by Liferay, isn't it?