Fórum

Liferay alternative

Guenter Baumgart, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay alternative

Regular Member Postagens: 119 Data de Entrada: 27/01/12 Postagens Recentes
Hi,
I am wondering where the people are going when they need to ? We've encountered too many issues which won't be addressed any time soon and we're convinced that your 'portlets' can't really coexists with AUI and some CSS & caching aspects.

Is there a 'light-weighted' variant or a similar solution which doesn't dictate that much as Liferay does ? We've checked DotCMS again as they're using Dojo but it seems they're also quite some time busy to get it "round".

May be, we should have a look at Liferay version 1 ? Does it still exists somewhere ?
Well, any thoughts are welcome.

Guenter
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

RE: Liferay alternative

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14914 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
Basically you should not be on the cutting edge...

If you pick Liferay 6.0.6, for example, it is a pretty stable foundation that is not going through all of the transitions 6.1 is still in.

I don't think the 1.0 version is out there, but it looks like sourceforge has some version 4 (and maybe version 3).

The farther you go back, though, the older the web technology is going to be (version 4 used prototype, version 5 used jquery, I don't know what version 3 used). You're not going to find a lot of support on the forum for older versions, either, and I'm fairly certain you can't get paid support from Liferay for any of those, either.

My suggestion - go w/ 6.0.6 CE. Give 6.1 a wide berth until the dust settles on the many new features and complaints/tickets about it subside.

I am wondering where the people are going when they need to ? We've encountered too many issues which won't be addressed any time soon and we're convinced that your 'portlets' can't really coexists with AUI and some CSS & caching aspects.

Well, we're not going anywhere, certainly. But I'm not doing any significant coding using AUI. My portlets are 90% based on Vaadin these days as I don't have to worry about many of the things you're probably having problems with.

Maybe instead of a Liferay version change you might consider a switch in your underlying portlet foundations? Try Vaadin or Zk, try JSF (Icefaces, Primefaces, etc.) and see if any of these alternatives work out better for you.
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1191 Data de Entrada: 10/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Well that depends on what you are looking for. If all you need is a barebones portlet container you could take a look at jetspeed If you are just looking for a cms and don't care about portlets you might want to take a loot at magnolia
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
I've also looked into jetspeed but there doesn't seem to be too much activity going on.

The most stable version seems to be liferay 6.0.6. Liferay 5 and previous aren't any good because it's using third party software versions with earlier web technologies. I'm looking at 6.1 releases but actually don't see any new feature that I need being added on. In my case, I'm primary using service builder to build custom applications - I think it's much easier than Seams or building on Tomcat directly. I'm not using liferay as a "portal" but as a framework for my applications so my usage maybe a little bit different.

I do have to admit that I had to fix some core functionalities because it didn't suit my needs. I think most of the bugs are in the portlets included with liferay but if you don't really use them as I don't in production, it really isn't too much of a problem. Jetspeed doesn't have as much portlets as liferay but if they suits your needs, that jetspeed maybe an option.

I've also looked into wiki and cms software and I'm actually using them but just as wiki and cms. Can't really really build applications on them.

I think it's all in what you really need. Do you just need a software to do a particular function or do you need something more general where you can develop something on.
Guenter Baumgart, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 119 Data de Entrada: 27/01/12 Postagens Recentes
Hi all,
we've playing around with a few candidates and also Liferay6 and decided to stay with Liferay 6.1. The time to migrate up and down seems horrible to me.

thank your for your detailed help, I really appreciate it.
g
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
You can use any js or css framework you want. You don't need to base your portlets on AUI. I've done in past themes that didn't have a single CSS or JS file from Liferay.