Fórum

New idea for Community Verifiers

thumbnail
Drew Blessing, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New idea for Community Verifiers

Junior Member Postagens: 78 Data de Entrada: 27/01/11 Postagens Recentes
I think it would be great to get the CV team going again. Lately there has been a lot of talk about how community contributions are handled, or not handled. There seems to be a perceived disconnect between community developers and Liferay developers. So, what I propose is that the CV team works together with community developers and Liferay developers to bridge that gap and begin forming closer relationships with module owners. There are currently 71 issues marked "Contributed Solution" or "Community Resolved." This is basically the pool we would work from, or any other ticket that has a patch file attached to fix a bug, add a feature, etc. Here's what might happen...

A Community Verifier member chooses an issue. Then, attempt to verify the status of the issue. Options may include:
a. The fix/contribution is not really a fix/contribution. It is a bug report or has been fixed elsewhere. (Maybe someone accidentally tagged it as "Contributed Solution" not realizing what that really means)
b. The fix is no longer relevant - That feature or portion of the feature was deprecated.
c. The fix is relevant but was contributed prior to version 6.1. CV-er can work with the original submitter (or self) to update the fix to be compatible with 6.1. Then, work with the Liferay module owner to incorporate the fix into the 6.1.x branch.
d. The fix is good. Work with the Liferay module owner to incorporate into 6.1 or 6.2 branch as appropriate.

Also, as part of this program I hope that we can educate community developers, including ourselves. Right now developers are attaching patches to tickets, etc. Using GitHub properly drastically decreases the amount of time it takes to evaluate and integrate a contribution. For starters, I would like to update/improve the Liferay.com wiki article that shows how to contribute. Then, as we attack the issues we can work with the community developer to make sure the contribution is submitted in a way Liferay module owners can quickly address it.

I think this would be a fun/interesting way for us to get to know the Liferay module owners and really improve relationships with other community developers. Of course, we would also be improving the core product. Please let me know what you think - I'm open to comments or suggestions. Based on feedback here I will begin putting some documents together to help us through the process.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

RE: New idea for Community Verifiers

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
I like this idea a lot. I always thought that CV team is there to validate issues created by community and once they are verified they would actually get more attention and go into the backlog of issues we work on and that way those issues would actually be taken care of.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1399 Data de Entrada: 17/09/10 Postagens Recentes
Drew Blessing:
I think it would be great to get the CV team going again. Lately there has been a lot of talk about how community contributions are handled, or not handled. There seems to be a perceived disconnect between community developers and Liferay developers. So, what I propose is that the CV team works together with community developers and Liferay developers to bridge that gap and begin forming closer relationships with module owners. There are currently 71 issues marked "Contributed Solution" or "Community Resolved." This is basically the pool we would work from, or any other ticket that has a patch file attached to fix a bug, add a feature, etc. Here's what might happen...

A Community Verifier member chooses an issue. Then, attempt to verify the status of the issue. Options may include:
a. The fix/contribution is not really a fix/contribution. It is a bug report or has been fixed elsewhere. (Maybe someone accidentally tagged it as "Contributed Solution" not realizing what that really means)
b. The fix is no longer relevant - That feature or portion of the feature was deprecated.
c. The fix is relevant but was contributed prior to version 6.1. CV-er can work with the original submitter (or self) to update the fix to be compatible with 6.1. Then, work with the Liferay module owner to incorporate the fix into the 6.1.x branch.
d. The fix is good. Work with the Liferay module owner to incorporate into 6.1 or 6.2 branch as appropriate.

Also, as part of this program I hope that we can educate community developers, including ourselves. Right now developers are attaching patches to tickets, etc. Using GitHub properly drastically decreases the amount of time it takes to evaluate and integrate a contribution. For starters, I would like to update/improve the Liferay.com wiki article that shows how to contribute. Then, as we attack the issues we can work with the community developer to make sure the contribution is submitted in a way Liferay module owners can quickly address it.

I think this would be a fun/interesting way for us to get to know the Liferay module owners and really improve relationships with other community developers. Of course, we would also be improving the core product. Please let me know what you think - I'm open to comments or suggestions. Based on feedback here I will begin putting some documents together to help us through the process.

Of course I wholeheartedly endorse this effort - I getting module owners together with interested community contributors is the best way to strengthen our community and share the knowledge that is bottled up in each of us emoticon So I can assist in putting the docs together and recruiting. It's basically free training for anyone who participates! And we get to know one another too. Perhaps we can throw a big party when we resolve, say, 80% of the outstanding contributions emoticon I'd be happy with 10-20% !
thumbnail
Juan Fernández, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1261 Data de Entrada: 02/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Yeah!!!! FINALLY!!!! Thanks a lot for bringing this up, Drew!! emoticon

I've been doing this task from time to time and it is really COSTLY to review, discuss or discard each one of the tickets opened. Many of them doesn't make sense, or are bug reports, or are just improvement proposals.. so if you guys manage to "clean" that list and report to us, the core engineers, the actual contributed solutions directly...man, that'd be AWESOME.

Last week I heard that usually in open source projects, if you don't answer contributors in less than 48 hours, you will loose them in a huge percentage of cases, so this innitiative is really important for the Liferay community.

Regarding module owners, I can review/asses/validate contributions for the following modules: blogs, wiki, calendar, wcm, polls (for the rest, you can ask me who to ask for help)

You can point developers with Git knowledge to send me PRs to https://github.com/juanferrub/liferay-portal OR just ping me when there's a patch attached to a ticket in Jira

Thanks, guys!
thumbnail
Davide Rossi, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 55 Data de Entrada: 03/07/10 Postagens Recentes
I personally found that Community Verifier Program contributed alot to bring issues to light and was expecting it to be a long term plan. Thats why a I posed the question in another thread: Whats happened to community verifiers???

This is the reply I expected and can't wait for the program to start again.

Put me on the possible recruited list... :-)
thumbnail
Alan Wamser, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 26 Data de Entrada: 15/04/10 Postagens Recentes
I would be interested in participating... The Wiki article would be a huge help for people that haven't had any experience with this type of team collaboration.
thumbnail

Wow. It's great to see so much interest from both sides. I will work with James to get everything ready to go. Thanks!
thumbnail

Hi Drew:
instead of writing a new wiki article, why don't we extend this one? [Contributing]
When you go to liferay.com - community - contribute it brings you to that article, so I think we should improve it A LOT.
Things we can add there:
  • Say that there are two ways: patches or GIT pull-requests
  • Link to article explaining how to get the latest code base
  • Link to article explaining how to build trunk in different IDEs
  • Link to the list of module owners, so that they know who to ping

Thanks!
thumbnail

Juan Fernández:
Hi Drew:
instead of writing a new wiki article, why don't we extend this one? [Contributing]

That's definitely a good idea! I will work with James to get this updated. You mention patches attached to tickets - are you OK with this method of contribution? I thought maybe GIT was the sole method preferred now.
thumbnail

Drew Blessing:
You mention patches attached to tickets - are you OK with this method of contribution? I thought maybe GIT was the sole method preferred now.

Hi Drew:
there's a lot of svn people around in the corporate world, and for them, if you force them to use another tool, you'll make them give up in the contribution process. GitHub is INFINITELY better for us to receive contributions and we should try educate the community members in how good it is to use git and how to use git by all means we have, but I don't want to FORCE them in case they don't know about Git.

The first goal here is to increase the number of contributions to the project, to make the contribution process easier for newcomers, and with that goal in mind the Git vs Patch fight is meaningless, do you agree? After we have a good group of contributors, we can focus on increasing the "quality" of those contributors by moving them to Git

Thanks for all your efforts, Drew
thumbnail

Juan Fernández:
The first goal here is to increase the number of contributions to the project, to make the contribution process easier for newcomers, and with that goal in mind the Git vs Patch fight is meaningless, do you agree?

Yes, that sounds good. Thanks!
Niko H, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 16 Data de Entrada: 21/02/12 Postagens Recentes
Nice, Think I'll be reading up on contributing emoticon
thumbnail

Niko H:
Nice, Think I'll be reading up on contributing emoticon

I'm glad you're interested, Niko! Let us know if you have questions about CV and contributing. We'll get this new initiative off the ground soon.
thumbnail

I made a first attempt update to the Contributing wiki. http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Contributing

There are some other things I would like to add. First, I'd like to skim some of the information from this Liferay page and add to the wiki: http://www.liferay.com/community/welcome/contribute. There's some really good stuff there. Also, I'd like to write/update a wiki page on using Git/GitHub to contribute code. There should also probably be some writing/updating of building Liferay from source, setting up Liferay IDE, etc. I know there are some of these out there but they are horribly old or slapped together with years of different information.

As we go, I'd definitely appreciate any input you guys can give on the wikis. Some of this will be perspective only and I want to make sure it's as accurate and applicable to all as possible. Thanks!

EDIT: I will also add the pieces Juan suggested above emoticon
thumbnail

Drew Blessing:
I made a first attempt update to the Contributing wiki. http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Contributing

There are some other things I would like to add. First, I'd like to skim some of the information from this Liferay page and add to the wiki: http://www.liferay.com/community/welcome/contribute. There's some really good stuff there. Also, I'd like to write/update a wiki page on using Git/GitHub to contribute code. There should also probably be some writing/updating of building Liferay from source, setting up Liferay IDE, etc. I know there are some of these out there but they are horribly old or slapped together with years of different information.

As we go, I'd definitely appreciate any input you guys can give on the wikis. Some of this will be perspective only and I want to make sure it's as accurate and applicable to all as possible. Thanks!

EDIT: I will also add the pieces Juan suggested above emoticon

Drew, thanks for all your help getting the 'contributions' pages in order - it's sorely needed! And I wholeheartedly agree with Juan's sentiments re: git vs. svn vs. patch. As part of your program, I think CVers should prefer git if they know it, but not require it, when working with community contributors to get their existing contributions in order. Ultimately, any contribution will eventually need to go through git, so if that can happen earlier in the process, then great, but not if it means losing excitement and desire to participate emoticon The git/github article will help with that. Dave has some content you may borrow from, but he stopped short of explaining how to submit pull requests, etc emoticon
thumbnail

We should link this page... it' quite cool! emoticon Getting started as a Liferay Developer in a few steps
thumbnail

Juan Fernández:
We should link this page... it' quite cool! emoticon Getting started as a Liferay Developer in a few steps

Hey Drew et al,

I created this step-by-step guide for participating in this effort. Please check it out and make edits as necessary (inserting links to the git-specific pages Drew is working on). I am going to start recruiting from the existing CVers and get some new ones hopefully emoticon Cheers!
thumbnail

Thanks, James! That looks great. I'm working on the Contribute using Git and GitHub wiki. I have a ways to go but I went ahead and published the first part so anyone else can begin to look at it and suggest changes.

On a side note, I'm changing jobs next week so bear with me for a couple of weeks as I transition. Things will be crazy but I really want to get this program off the ground!
thumbnail

Drew Blessing:
Thanks, James! That looks great. I'm working on the Contribute using Git and GitHub wiki. I have a ways to go but I went ahead and published the first part so anyone else can begin to look at it and suggest changes.

On a side note, I'm changing jobs next week so bear with me for a couple of weeks as I transition. Things will be crazy but I really want to get this program off the ground!

Hey Drew, I created another wiki page to track community verifier activity. Hopefully our recruiting drive will help fill the board with our awesome community members! emoticon

Good luck in the new gig!
thumbnail

Alright everyone. Everything is in place. If you're interested in helping out go ahead and find a ticket from this list http://issues.liferay.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=13572. I think we'll find that many are easily resolved and won't take too much work.

Don't be afraid to jump in! Just use the contribution guide James created here http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Contribution+Processing+for+Community+Verifiers. Post back on this forum if you need help and we'll help you out.

Thanks for your help!
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2871 Data de Entrada: 31/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Hey Drew et al,

This is an awesome idea, thanks so much.

I had been planning to write a blog entry about our move to GitHub (which hasn't really been publicly announced) and explain how to contribute. This proposal comes just in time. I will be pointing people to the wiki pages and forum threads.

Drew, it's very encouraging to have people like you in the community emoticon
thumbnail
Sampsa Sohlman, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 230 Data de Entrada: 27/09/07 Postagens Recentes
Jorge Ferrer:
I had been planning to write a blog entry about our move to GitHub

I think this would be good idea to describe your way to use git.

I have impression that Liferay way of working with git is to create branch per issue and generate pull request from resulted changes. Currently this is not described at http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Contribute+using+Git+and+GitHub and would be good add on there too.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Yeah, we do create a new branch for each ticket then send it to our peer reviewer who sends it to one of the master reviewer who have push rights to the liferay git account. In a way we are all just contributors.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 2871 Data de Entrada: 31/08/06 Postagens Recentes
As promised, I've finally been able to write the blog entry:
http://www.liferay.com/web/jorge.ferrer/blog/-/blogs/liferay-s-source-is-now-at-github-go-fork-it-

Sampsa, it's more of an announcement than an in depth description of how we use it. I'll think of writing a second blog entry about how we use GitHub later, but I'd prefer to wait until we get rid of git-svn since it limits some of the capabilities of Git. Once we stop using it we'll probably change be able to use branches even more aggressively emoticon
thumbnail
Sampsa Sohlman, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 230 Data de Entrada: 27/09/07 Postagens Recentes
Jorge Ferrer:
Sampsa, it's more of an announcement than an in depth description of how we use it.

True, didn't give answers what I was looking for.

Jorge Ferrer:
I'll think of writing a second blog entry about how we use GitHub later

I might wait for this, but it might be that I learn that earlier, little bit harder way emoticon

Jorge Ferrer:
, but I'd prefer to wait until we get rid of git-svn since it limits some of the capabilities of Git. Once we stop using it we'll probably change be able to use branches even more aggressively emoticon

I think git give's better tools to automate development process than SVN and I'm eager to see what you have a mind emoticon