Fórum

GA2 Release

thumbnail
Rex Petersen, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

GA2 Release

New Member Postagens: 11 Data de Entrada: 10/03/11 Postagens Recentes
Can someone help me understand why yesterday the GA2 release date on the roadmap page was listed as May 11th and now today it is showing as June 8th?: http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel

Is it ever safe to rely on the date listed there?
thumbnail
Diego Pietralunga, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

RE: GA2 Release

New Member Postagens: 17 Data de Entrada: 04/08/09 Postagens Recentes
Rex Petersen:
Can someone help me understand why yesterday the GA2 release date on the roadmap page was listed as May 11th and now today it is showing as June 8th?: http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel

Is it ever safe to rely on the date listed there?

Same exact question here!
I have delayed an installation for a new client based on that schedule.
Till friday afternoon there was no clue about a change (a full month), neither on forums nor on twitter.
No clues before, no explanations after.
It's a little disappointing, especially when you have to justify a broken promise to your client...
What happened?
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
The date in JIRA is our target date but it's not set in stone so it is subject to change. We have a lot of dependencies for this release with Marketplace and Social Office. If you need predictability and SLAs then I'd suggest going with EE.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 3089 Data de Entrada: 28/10/08 Postagens Recentes
Mika Koivisto:
If you need predictability and SLAs then I'd suggest going with EE.

Agree. Doesn't make sense to make agreements with clients hoping that CE release date won't be changed.
thumbnail
Diego Pietralunga, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 17 Data de Entrada: 04/08/09 Postagens Recentes
@Mika

Thanks for your authoritative answer

@Juan

Thanks for sharing you experience in this field

To both:
Just to share a thought with you and not making a flame about this
I'm not deep into Liferay (as I would like to be), since I'm striving since at least a year to switch our current CMS to LR.

Making a long story short and omitting many details, CE is a "bridge" to making a choice about EE adoption, so first, IMHO,
you go CE for some projects for some months and when all is fine you can offer to your clients/Boss to switch to paid version (with support and SLA and other things).
And by the way, that MY personal aim (I'm a developer with a little "steering power" ), so I'm NOT against choosing paid EE at all.

That said, for the specific case, since CE stands for Community Edition, I guess that maybe a forum post or a little tweet from Liferay staff anticipating that this week planned CE release won't cut it, would be appreciated by the community itself, instead of a shift of 4 week the next time that you go to see the "due date" page field.
I had seen in some posts that 6.1.1 GA2 has been delayed since mid-february/march and have seen that current bug fixing graph on Jira is practically on break-even point, so , yes, I 'hoped" that there shouldn't have been issues about the planned release and that, if were there delays, would have been some days.
So yes, I guess I should have had "bytes at hand" :-) before making an (informal btw) agreement.

So, it's not a tragedy to me now, but, is it possible to share some kind of up-to-date info about the releases (and/or major LR-Related events) to the Community, maybe just via Twitter or something, please?
Hope not appearing offensive about this kind of "Community Communication Enhancement Request" ;-)

Regards,

Diego
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1519 Data de Entrada: 07/08/06 Postagens Recentes
Thanks for sharing Diego. You are absolutely right we should communicate possible missed release dates more openly and earlier to everyone but we are still working on our internal processes so that we have better visibility to delays. As a former community member I do understand that we don't communicate enough with the community although James Falkner our community manager has greatly improved that. BTW waiting 6.1.1 myself too to upgrade my own site.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
My personal opinion is that it's better not to publicized a "target release" date that's going to change. It would be better if a date that is going to change be kept just internally.

I'm one of the people asking for release date, but it doesn't do me any good to have a date that's going to change so often. It's just better to hear that you've haven't really set it yet.
thumbnail
Frank Pientka, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 16 Data de Entrada: 12/10/08 Postagens Recentes
The 6.1.1 CE GA2 is still in progress:
610 of 619 issues have been resolved
DoeÄS anybody know it will be released in this month an can I use der Plugins from 6.1.1 CE GA2
with 6.1.0 CE GA1?
(I could not compile SVN-Versions of some, because of new annotations in GA2)
Thanks
Frank
thumbnail

DoeÄS anybody know it will be released in this month

I don't think anybody including most of Liferay.com staff actually can state that it will be released this month or not.
Several Liferay.com staffs have posted here about the release dates earlier before but they all turned out to be false alarm.

can I use der Plugins from 6.1.1 CE GA2 with 6.1.0 CE GA1?

Plugins for newer versions usually don't work with older versions because liferay.com often changes the api and sometimes variable names too.
thumbnail

I think I'm going to conclude that the next release is probably going to be somewhere in fall from liferay release cycle.

The release date that was first given as sometimes in April may have been a bogus by a marketing team
to make users try to use a very buggy 6.1.0 and to switch to purchasing the EE version.

The bottom line is, don't use the 6.1.0 CE version because the quality is sub-standard. Either purchase the 6.1 EE version or stick with the 6.0.6 CE version.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1399 Data de Entrada: 17/09/10 Postagens Recentes
Hitoshi Ozawa:
I think I'm going to conclude that the next release is probably going to be somewhere in fall from liferay release cycle.

The release date that was first given as sometimes in April may have been a bogus by a marketing team
to make users try to use a very buggy 6.1.0 and to switch to purchasing the EE version.

The bottom line is, don't use the 6.1.0 CE version because the quality is sub-standard. Either purchase the 6.1 EE version or stick with the 6.0.6 CE version.

I'm really sorry that we don't communicate better - I tried with 6.1.1 and Marketplace but we're just not at a point as a project to be able to definitively say 6 months out when a release will be ready. It's more like 7-10 days, and we're not within that window yet. Normally, we pick a cutoff date internally, then once we reach that date, the code goes into several test rounds - after the first one, we're fairly confident that it'll be ready after the final QA round, so we can talk definitively about that. This GA2 release is special as Mika pointed out - lots of interdependencies between GA2, Marketplace, and SO 2.0. So most of the issues we've found as due to that interdependency, so we keep delaying. My hope is that once we're over this hurdle, the next ones will be smoother. I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for all of your collective patience and I promise to work on our communication.
thumbnail

I think it's just not me who feel a little bit disappointment because I believed that community involved bug squad and verifier programs were meant to help speed up community releases and I would be able to see and show others the output from the involvement.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:
I think it's just not me who feel a little bit disappointment because I believed that community involved bug squad and verifier programs were meant to help speed up community releases and I would be able to see and show others the output from the involvement.

The output from those programs (bugsquad and verifier) is in the 6.1 GA1 release and will eventually be in GA2, so do not worry about that! But the GA2 delay is not something those programs could have helped.
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 1191 Data de Entrada: 10/03/10 Postagens Recentes
While on the subject where is the "fix" for these serious security fixes I was promised

http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2012/May/81
http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2012/Apr/151
http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2012/Apr/149

It's almost criminal to not resolve these issues on the community edition
Linus Sphinx, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 99 Data de Entrada: 12/08/10 Postagens Recentes
jelmer kuperus:
While on the subject where is the "fix" for these serious security fixes I was promised

It's completely almost criminal to not resolve these issues on the community edition

Seriously heinous.
thumbnail

Linus Sphinx:
jelmer kuperus:

It's completely almost criminal to not resolve these issues on the community edition

Seriously heinous.

We're setting up the team now to handle community security fixes, so hang on.
Ken Sperow, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 11 Data de Entrada: 25/04/11 Postagens Recentes
James Falkner:
Linus Sphinx:
jelmer kuperus:

Seriously heinous.

We're setting up the team now to handle community security fixes, so hang on.

Any news on this new team? I understand that LifeRay's focus is on EE, but there should be a mechanism in place for CE users to see known security issues and at a minimum see the associated commits for fixes if they exist.

Thanks
Linus Sphinx, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 99 Data de Entrada: 12/08/10 Postagens Recentes
While they're all together be sure and bring up how easy security bugs fixed in prior versions manage to leapfrog 6 releases and appear in a different major number GA 6 release and how that can be prevented. Embarrass the hell out of me, got a huge political contingent of haters trying to kill it here that don't need any more ammunition.
http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-22979
How conspiracy theory get started and rumors so ugly projects never recover from them start flying. If it can't be secured it's not even worth poking with a stick much less installing. Marketing may not understand that major security issues are the sort of thing that make people buy Sharepoint instead, just makes the entire product line look really, really bad. The company would probably be better served to kill off CE than release it like that.
thumbnail

This brings a good point.
It would be nice to at least see the patches for bugs and issues that resulted from the bug and verifier community project available to the community by now. I thought the end date was determined based on the planned release date.
thumbnail
Thomas Berg, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 131 Data de Entrada: 07/09/09 Postagens Recentes
Liferay 6.1.1 CE GA2

I just saw that the release date has been postponed again...

Please stick with the current target date and release Liferay 6.1.1 CE GA2 even if there are unfixed issues! Any unresolved issues not fixed by july 27th should be moved to GA3.

We're using Liferay for our student portal and for almost a year, we have been planning to use Liferay in a more extensive way. Liferay 6.1 introduces major differences in the UI so we have installed 6.1.0 GA1 in our test environments to allow the teams resposible for managing the portal to learn the new environment.

All of our teams efforts to create new organizations, sites, templates etc. has been made for 6.1.
We've also put off improvements and new development within our existing Liferay version and have instead been working with the 6.1 API.

Since the GA1 version is not fit for production, we have been trying to assure management that 6.1.1 GA2 will be released before the fall semester. As the release date keeps pushing forward, I'm starting to get very worried. We will be in a very difficult position if all the work that's been put into 6.1 won't be available for the fall semester.

It's been said (see Mikas answer above) that we should get the EE version if we need predictability. I understand and accept this point of view. There's a good chance that we will get the EE version if this project works as well as everybody hopes. But in our current process, we really need to get GA2 to become operational.

You're all doing a great job with Liferay, believe, hope and pray that GA2 will be released on july 27th

Regards
/Thomas
thumbnail

Here's the thing. The GA2 wont be production ready either. nor will GA 9001 be. They want you to buy the enterprise edition. It's best to give your management the bad news now.

Truth be told. If you don't get the support, a license is not *that* expensive. But I think most people would have chosen a different platform had they known about this up front. I know i would have.

I guess a group of dedicated people could always decide to fork the Liferay codebase, and put in an effort to stabilize the community editions and make them production ready but so far this hasn't happened.
thumbnail

jelmer kuperus:
Here's the thing. The GA2 wont be production ready either. nor will GA 9001 be. They want you to buy the enterprise edition. It's best to give your management the bad news now. .

Sorry Jelmer, don't agree at all.

Liferay has always had some delay between GA versions, so don't see any weird thing here.

In this case they have to launch Marketplace (which implies huge internal/external changes as I can see in everydays source commits).

jelmer kuperus:

I guess a group of dedicated people could always decide to fork the Liferay codebase, and put in an effort to stabilize the community editions and make them production ready but so far this hasn't happened

I've been uploading Liferay 6.x.x patches for different CE editions since 2009 (this time will do the same). But forking the whole project would be a real huge effort, and probably won't meet anyone's quality requirements. I prefer being more patient (I know this isn't easy sometimes) but get a product with more quality, even with delays.

BTW you did a very good job finding security issues. Well done!
thumbnail

so don't see any weird thing here

Nor was I implying any such thing. If anything i am acknowledging that this is business as usual

As far as I am aware the release dates of all previous releases have slipped
As far as I am aware there has never been new community edition release just to fix a dangerous security vulnerability
As far as I am aware none of the community editions have been production ready.

Assuming that the new GA will somehow make the community edition production ready is just wishful thinking. If you are using Liferay in production you should just get the enterprise edition. This is the message he should be getting across to his manager.

But forking the whole project would be a real huge effort, and probably won't meet anyone's quality requirements.

I am thinking more along the lines of backporting fixes to the community edition and doing regular releases. Patches are all nice and dandy but most people just want to be able to download a zip file that works.
thumbnail

Assuming that the new GA will somehow make the community edition production ready is just wishful thinking. If you are using Liferay in production you should just get the enterprise edition. This is the message he should be getting across to his manager.

I think this is insufficient. If I'm going to use any software in production, I'll first check if it really works and the support available is sufficient. I don't think it about CE and EE. If the feature in EE doesn't work and the developer is unable or unwilling to fix it, it's completely useless.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:

I think this is insufficient. If I'm going to use any software in production, I'll first check if it really works and the support available is sufficient. I don't think it about CE and EE. If the feature in EE doesn't work and the developer is unable or unwilling to fix it, it's completely useless.

I'm sorry that we've had to constantly delay the GA2 release - I promise you there is no marketing ploy or conspiracy to trick people into doing anything. That's not Liferay's culture or intention, and if it was, I'd be the first of many to bail out.

I'll give a more thorough response but I'm getting on a plane to LA and we'll sort this out with a more thorough response tomorrow. We're working on improving things and learning a lot through constructive threads like this one. So hang in there!
thumbnail

I'm sorry that we've had to constantly delay the GA2 release

James, I know that you'll actually not the one who is delaying the releases because I know this is hurting the community more than it is doing any good.

I'm involved in seveal commercial and non-commercial open source projects and we are partnership with several overseas software companies too.
Software delays are common to the point that it's more rare to see software released as scheduled, but I haven't see this repeated announcement of
short term delays caused by technical teams. If this was a system integration project, you'll be out the door by the third reschedule request.

Also, Liferay.com requested the community to help them to find bugs and verify them so the new release will be more bug free and can be released in a shorter time frame. Getting the "prize" is fun, but I'm sure that many community members got involved to see a more bug free software released in a short period of time. Liferay.com made community members "believe" what was untruth - intentional or not.

You've mentioned about Marketplace, but is the request to delay coming from Brian or Jorge or by Paul or Bryan?
thumbnail
Frank Pientka, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 16 Data de Entrada: 12/10/08 Postagens Recentes
we tryed the folllowing revisions and for the moment it worked for us and our LR 6.1 GA1, but we are not sure,
how to merge future bug fixes ....
portal:
http://svn.liferay.com/repos/public/portal/branches/6.1.x rev 99607

plugins:
http://svn.liferay.com/repos/public/plugins/branches/6.1.x rev 99847

It is a pity that the GA2 is delaying for such a long time and there are so many incompatible changes regarding
the predecessor ;-(
In this special case we would prefer, to consider an interim bug-fix-release

Regards
Frank
thumbnail
Ákos Gábriel, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 33 Data de Entrada: 05/10/09 Postagens Recentes

I am thinking more along the lines of backporting fixes to the community edition and doing regular releases. Patches are all nice and dandy but most people just want to be able to download a zip file that works.

I had exactly the same idea - the infrastructure started working several days ago, now it is internally tested.
To offer this to the general public I'd like to check legal first.
ild i, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 158 Data de Entrada: 12/12/11 Postagens Recentes
GA2 did not want to work

18.07.2012 8:34:08 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: Loaded APR based Apache Tomcat Native library 1.1.23.
18.07.2012 8:34:08 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: APR capabilities: IPv6 [true], sendfile [true], accept filters [false], random [true].
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init
INFO: Initializing ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-8080"]
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init
INFO: Initializing ProtocolHandler ["ajp-apr-8009"]
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 788 ms
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService startInternal
INFO: Starting service Catalina
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine startInternal
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/7.0.27
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor G:\ga2\bundles\tomcat-7.0.27\conf\Catalina\localhost\ROOT.xml
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase addChildInternal
SEVERE: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[]]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:895)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:871)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:615)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:649)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1585)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/liferay/portal/kernel/bean/BeanLocator
        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredFields(Class.java:2291)
        at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields(Class.java:1743)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.WebAnnotationSet.getDeclaredFields(WebAnnotationSet.java:452)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.WebAnnotationSet.loadFieldsAnnotation(WebAnnotationSet.java:257)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.WebAnnotationSet.loadApplicationListenerAnnotations(WebAnnotationSet.java:88)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.WebAnnotationSet.loadApplicationAnnotations(WebAnnotationSet.java:64)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.applicationAnnotationsConfig(ContextConfig.java:381)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.configureStart(ContextConfig.java:858)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:345)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5161)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 11 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.liferay.portal.kernel.bean.BeanLocator
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1711)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1556)
        ... 25 more
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
SEVERE: Error deploying configuration descriptor G:\ga2\bundles\tomcat-7.0.27\conf\Catalina\localhost\ROOT.xml
java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[]]
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:898)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:871)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:615)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:649)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1585)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-8080"]
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-apr-8009"]
18.07.2012 8:34:09 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 543 ms

emoticon
thumbnail
Davide Rossi, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 55 Data de Entrada: 03/07/10 Postagens Recentes
GA2 has been messed up a month ago when suddenly a "Merge a bunch of fixes and tests" was done to 6.1.x Github.

Even though one reports issues for 6.1.x GA2 they just sit there because the 6.2.x and EE ones have to be fixed first.

Each fix gets committed to both the 6.1.x and 6.2.x branches.

This happened when there were only a few differences between 6.1.x and 6.2.x. Now things are different 6.2.x has considerably changed and I dont expect a 6.2.x fix to be compatible with 6.1.x any longer.

This is a 6.1.x GA2 testing one I posted the 12 of July. http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-28361 Still sitting there and probably not even looked at. Not being able to modify templates on the run looks like a severe issue to me, maybe wrong, but only a few days from expected release. Mmmmh.

Oh... and there are many others just not taken in consideration. Many that just need to be closed because somehow fixed while doing some other stuff or simply enough not being bugs at all. Yes one of these is mine... http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-27584 Dated 28th of may, sitll there.

Whats happened to community verifiers???

GA1 as often repeated in this thread is unusable not unstable... Sadly enough, GA2 is taking the same road.... At least until today...

Poor Community....emoticon
thumbnail

Davide Rossi:
GA2 has been messed up a month ago when suddenly a "Merge a bunch of fixes and tests" was done to 6.1.x Github.

Even though one reports issues for 6.1.x GA2 they just sit there because the 6.2.x and EE ones have to be fixed first.

I don't agree at all. In fact, right now all fixes (that affects 6.1.1) are being backported to 6.1.x too.

Davide Rossi:

This happened when there were only a few differences between 6.1.x and 6.2.x. Now things are different 6.2.x has considerably changed and I dont expect a 6.2.x fix to be compatible with 6.1.x any longer.

Why do you think that? After that commit you said ("Merge a bunch of fixes...") 6.2 and 6.1 are much similar than before.

Davide Rossi:

This is a 6.1.x GA2 testing one I posted the 12 of July. http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-28361 Still sitting there and probably not even looked at. Not being able to modify templates on the run looks like a severe issue to me, maybe wrong, but only a few days from expected release. Mmmmh.

I've just pushed that issue so Liferay staff can take a look at it, hopefully someone can backport the fix to 6.1.x.

Davide Rossi:

James Falkner can answer this question better than me, but AFAIK this program was only for some time, and doesn't last forever.

Davide Rossi:

GA1 as often repeated in this thread is unusable not unstable... Sadly enough, GA2 is taking the same road.... At least until today...

Poor Community....emoticon

Don't agree. IMHO this version is quite stable and a "bunch" of fixes had been solved and backported. In last weeks many changes are being done to source so perhaps some bugs are being added, but even with that all is being fixed very quickly.
thumbnail

Hi Juan,
You probably see things I don't see from the outside and I'll treasure your comments.

Thanks for having brought LPS-28361 to attention.
It was just closed because a duplicate of LPS-28479 reported for: Liferay Portal 6.1.10 EE GA1 and will be fixed on, as stated in LPS: Fix Version/s: 6.2.X, --Sprint 6/12.
It works in 6.2.X. No need to fix there. May be alot of confusion by my part, but certainly not clear.

Just to be precise, I am not saying work is not being done and the quantity? Playing arround with 6.2.X, is increadible. I also understand the ammount of work that has taken place to get marketplace to grounds. Community wise things are changing continuously and I believe more will come making things easier and better, but until today things have been hard on CE versions. This has not changed as fast as the rest.

Thanks again...

GA2 is http://svn.liferay.com/repos/public/portal/branches/6.1.x/ ?
thumbnail

ild i:

Not yet, but a little more patience... It's nearly there... emoticon
thumbnail

Davide Rossi:
ild i:

Not yet, but a little more patience... It's nearly there... emoticon

Indeed -- the JIRA date has been set to Monday (i.e. in 48-71.9999 hours), which is what we're shooting for! So, shouldn't be long now. Thanks for your continued patience. It should be an interesting ride.
Niko H, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 16 Data de Entrada: 21/02/12 Postagens Recentes
Are we there yet? emoticon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNM0UvR_Bo

ps. I just find the trip funny, don't want to hint that the ending would be somewhat alike...

Also my 0,5 cents to discussion:

Is there a developer mailing list? Maybe that could be a good way to keep people informed on security issues etc. that need attention? ..and make the development more see through, or at least allow community communicate efficiently on things that matter.

And also it has some barrier of admission so maybe it wouldn't get so bloated with disinformation immediately (as some one already suggested). I find using these forums as information source as contributing to fragmentation of developer life (also my life).

If there are already some streams of important information excisting please point them out. Like rss-feeds are another happiness inducing ways of communicating. Or just plain twitter for announcments. The jira is way too unfiltered right now, or then I'm just stupid, which may be the case too. emoticon

..and while I'm getting into ranting, what's with the blogs? Does there need to be gazillion blogs for different people inside liferay, they could also be filttered and arranged somehow?

Less is more.
thumbnail
Dave Weitzel, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 208 Data de Entrada: 18/11/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi NIko
You raise a number of good points IMHO regarding information flows and filters.
I have been pushing (well not recently as I gave up) for user groups on liferay.com to be exploited for things like training course attendees (eg developers advanced developers, theme design, admin) etc. which may go towards your idea of mailing lists - easy to then email the user group if you have to. I wouldn't see them as restricted but initially it was as a way to continue the interaction attendees get during 2-3 days of intense coding.
The whole user group functionality is something that either needs addressing in the core or just how liferay.com implements things.
I agree about the blogs from liferay staff but don't want to really stop that source of information either.

Meanwhile it is now the 31st! Will GA2 be out before August anywhere (Alaska perhaps?).

There it is: http://www.liferay.com/downloads/liferay-portal/available-releases \o/

I can not install additional plugins
1. ant deploy ignored
2. from the admin panel removed the option "Install additional plug-ins"

emoticon
thumbnail
Drew Blessing, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 78 Data de Entrada: 27/01/11 Postagens Recentes
ild i:
1. ant deploy ignored

Are you certain everything is set up correctly in your environment? I set up Liferay IDE 1.6 using the 6.1.1 GA2 SDK and Liferay Portal 6.1.1 GA2 today and plugins deployed fine. I deployed using ant and also dropped WARs directly into the deploy directory.

Tell me more about your environment and how you set up the new SDK and portal. Hopefully we can help you troubleshoot the issue.

Drew Blessing:
ild i:
1. ant deploy ignored

Are you certain everything is set up correctly in your environment? I set up Liferay IDE 1.6 using the 6.1.1 GA2 SDK and Liferay Portal 6.1.1 GA2 today and plugins deployed fine. I deployed using ant and also dropped WARs directly into the deploy directory.

Tell me more about your environment and how you set up the new SDK and portal. Hopefully we can help you troubleshoot the issue.

everything is fine. I updated the wrong portal, has changed the absolute path. a directory deploy retained the old way
thumbnail

ild i:
Drew Blessing:
ild i:
1. ant deploy ignored

everything is fine. I updated the wrong portal, has changed the absolute path. a directory deploy retained the old way

Next time, can you create a new thread if you have a question not directly related to the topic of this thread. You question is more about using GA2 than about GA2 release schedule. The thread gets confusing and out of focus when people starts posting different questions in a thread.
thumbnail

Meanwhile it is now the 31st! Will GA2 be out before August anywhere (Alaska perhaps?).

Well, GA2 is finally out,but I think liferay is going to go way down in Gartner's positional matrix this year because of this - they can't deliver what they promised. It's a pity because they have been doing very good until this year.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:

Well, GA2 is finally out,but I think liferay is going to go way down in Gartner's positional matrix this year because of this - they can't deliver what they promised. It's a pity because they have been doing very good until this year.

What are the things that couldn't be delivered?
thumbnail

Well, they told us GA2 was going to be out earlier this Spring. If I order a pizza and it's delivered half a year afterward, I call that bad delivery service. This doesn't mean the pizza tastes bad but just late.
Software development is not just about functionality, it's a combination of functionality, schedule, and cost.
thumbnail
Ákos Gábriel, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 33 Data de Entrada: 05/10/09 Postagens Recentes
Hitoshi Ozawa:

Well, they told us GA2 was going to be out earlier this Spring. If I order a pizza and it's delivered half a year afterward, I call that bad delivery service. This doesn't mean the pizza tastes bad but just late.
Software development is not just about functionality, it's a combination of functionality, schedule, and cost.

I'm planning to set up a service to "fill this gap". Right now we are working out the details how to involve the community in the appropriate way.
For me the biggest problem is how to accept patches in a reliable but rapid way - at the end of the day this is a "security sensitive" product, patches just cannot be added without a closer look. I'm thinking now of a "social equity - weighted voting" method. Must be mostly automated - this should be a free service and we don't have too much human resource for that.
thumbnail

Thread Split

This thread has run its course now that GA2 is out. I am going to close it and move Peter's to a new thread and respond there.

The new thread can be found at http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/15504613.
thumbnail

So, did you just raise the proiorty of issue to get it fixed? Community verifiers is about community members like you and me changing the priority of issues to get what we want get processed by liferay.com.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:
Community verifiers is about community members like you and me changing the priority of issues to get what we want get processed by liferay.com.

I don't think that's the intention of CV at all. It could possibly be used in that way but if anyone is doing that as a primary goal they are totally missing the point.

Shortly I will be posting a proposal for CV to reform and re-strategize so we can get going. Specifically, I'd like to focus on community contributions and narrowing the gap between community members/developers, and Liferay core developers.
thumbnail

I don't think that's the intention of CV at all. It could possibly be used in that way but if anyone is doing that as a primary goal they are totally missing the point.

The gist of my reply is to say that it's not the problem with CV not working because a user submitted an issue and it hasn't been processed the way he wanted it to be processes. If he has a complaint about how an issue is processed, he should join the CV and follow his issue through himself.

I think the original intent of CV has to give community members (non-liferay.com members) an opportunity to voice more on how issues are processed. There's no fee and there's actually no commitment to do any work. More users should be taking this opportunity if they feel issues are not being satisfactory fulfilled.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:

The gist of my reply is to say that it's not the problem with CV not working because a user submitted an issue and it hasn't been processed the way he wanted it to be processes. If he has a complaint about how an issue is processed, he should join the CV and follow his issue through himself.

I think the original intent of CV has to give community members (non-liferay.com members) an opportunity to voice more on how issues are processed. There's no fee and there's actually no commitment to do any work. More users should be taking this opportunity if they feel issues are not being satisfactory fulfilled.

Ok. That makes sense. emoticon I would agree with that.
thumbnail

I posted a proposal for a new Community Verifier initiative. Please check it out and let me know what you think or if you want to help out!

http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/15255307
thumbnail

In this case they have to launch Marketplace (which implies huge internal/external changes as I can see in everydays source commits).

Juan, I don't think anybody is really complaining about the time it'll take to implement Marketplace but more about the practice about repeatly giving a release date and extending it over and over again. If developers at liferay.com really can't project how much resource and time it's going to require to develop a feature, they shouldn't be providing professional service (e.g. setting up and customizing liferay for customers) to customer sites. Why can't liferay.com just say that it's going to be available this fall h and if they got some time leftover after the implmenting Marketplace, fix more bugs until the announced release date?
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 978 Data de Entrada: 03/01/10 Postagens Recentes
With v6.0 CE I waited till GA3 (6.0.5) and then upgraded to GA4 (v6.0.6) when it came out. That v6.0 CE experience has led me to only use the v6.1 GA1 to start reviewing new features - which are so cool - yet I have to be patient with my own impatience and I likely am going to wait for a GA3 or 4 before thinking of using a CE v6.1 GA* for anything real.

I like the way Artur Signell of Vaadin expressed a release delay like at: https://vaadin.com/blog/-/blogs/vaadin-7-alpha2-delayed: "We do not want to release a semi-broken *versionReferenceHere* that would disappoint most of you so we have taken the liberty of pushing the release date forward until we feel we have a second *versionReferenceHere* version that people can enjoy." Now that is art-ful communication.

With advertised 'anicipated' released dates the likes of Q1,Q2, Q3, Q4 of such and such a year, where if delayed there comes a communication like above - such might be help manage expectations.
thumbnail

Agreed. I don't think even liferay.com isn't yet 6.1 yet.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 14913 Data de Entrada: 02/09/06 Postagens Recentes
Hitoshi Ozawa:
Agreed. I don't think even liferay.com isn't yet 6.1 yet.

That's what I use as the indicator that a version is ready for primetime. When Liferay.com upgrades to the 6.1 line (even though they're running EE), I'll know that the 6.1 CE line has stablized enough to become usable.

And I look forward to when that will happen, just like everyone else.

In the meantime, if you're prepping a site that will not go live anytime soon, I'd still base it on 6.1. Why build it in 6.0 only to face upgrading later on?

But if you need to be live soon, I'd stick w/ 6.0.6. Will get you up and running on a stable platform and you can delay the move to 6.1 until it is production-ready.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:

Juan, I don't think anybody is really complaining about the time it'll take to implement Marketplace but more about the practice about repeatly giving a release date and extending it over and over again. If developers at liferay.com really can't project how much resource and time it's going to require to develop a feature, they shouldn't be providing professional service (e.g. setting up and customizing liferay for customers) to customer sites. Why can't liferay.com just say that it's going to be available this fall h and if they got some time leftover after the implmenting Marketplace, fix more bugs until the announced release date?

I'm so glad to see this thread and I completely agree with your comment, Hitoshi. For months, nearly a year, we have been evangelizing and planning for 6.1. We knew it would take some time and have been so patient. I was thrilled when 6.1 GA1 came out earlier this year despite its bugs. Then, we were told GA2 would be coming weeks after 6.1 EE because of the number of problems with 6.1 GA1. We have hinged our entire summer project line on GA2, first expecting it in April, then May, then June, and NOW?! July... and the end of July at that. At this point I don't know what to do. Could we wait until July 27? Probably...but I really can't sit here and believe that July 27 is the date based on experience.

We have been seriously considering purchasing EE in the future but that's going to be a really difficult sell when I have to keep pushing our initial project back and can't prove what this can really do for us.

I understand the dependencies on Social Office, Marketplace, etc. These things happens. However, I see no reason GA2 can't be released without fixing all the dependencies for those products if they're not ready right now. Why not release GA2 on it's own and then when SO 2.0 and Marketplace are ready release GA3, GA4 to address the dependencies of those other products?

My 2 cents. I hope we can see some good come from this. If there's any way the community can help with this I would love to hear it. How can we improve communication?
thumbnail

Thank Drew, I think even James said the cut date off of the verifier project was set based on the GA2 release date. The community answered to their help and got it but they really haven't replied back to the community yet. It will be a real disappointment about their business ethics if this repeated delays was actually based on marketing ploy.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Master Postagens: 978 Data de Entrada: 03/01/10 Postagens Recentes
it is like two tier health care
thumbnail

As I stated above, I can only conclude that the repeated release date of the CE version is intentional marketing to lure users like you to purchasing EE subscription.

Unfortunately, I don't think the new release is going to be out in July. I've heard James say the same thing about it becoming available in few days few months back.

I think people at liferay.com are going to end up repenting for this sin about this later because people are not that dumb to believe them ever again.
thumbnail
Miguel Ángel Júlvez, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 63 Data de Entrada: 29/03/11 Postagens Recentes
It's a shame.... emoticon