Fórum

Translation to Valencian language

Alejandro López, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Translation to Valencian language

Junior Member Postagens: 53 Data de Entrada: 08/07/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi to all.

I'm not a expert using liferay but I have some knowledge.

In Valencia, the goverment is taking Liferay as portal web solution, that's why I think that a translate to valencian is necessary.

I don't know how to, and don't have a lot of time, but I want to contribute.

Greetings.
thumbnail
Jack A. Rider, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

RE: Translation to Valencian language

Regular Member Postagens: 139 Data de Entrada: 26/03/07 Postagens Recentes
Hola Alejandro,

A few months ago I made a traslation of Language.properties to valencian with success using Salt translation tool. If I can be of any help, please feel free to get in touch with me at. jack.a.rider@xmlportletfactory.com . The problem I found to get it to the standard is to get the ISO code for valencian, like catalonian has.

Saludos, Jack A. Rider

Hi Jack, and thanks for the quick reply.

In fact, I don't need to translate to valencian language, because catalonian and valencian are the same language.

But, in Valencia, you cannot make a portal (for local government, council, etc.) that has "ca" (catalonian language code), as a prefix in the URL. Here at Valencia, there is a lot of discussion about if are the same language. The politicians are saying that are not the same languages.

Then, the easier solution for me is use catalonian language, and change "ca" (catalonian language code) to "va" (valencian language code). But I don't know how to do. Do you know how can I do it?

That's the resason, because I thought to build translation.

pd: I have some curiosity to know why you tried to translate Liferay to valencian.

pd2: sorry about my poor english
thumbnail
Jack A. Rider, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 139 Data de Entrada: 26/03/07 Postagens Recentes
Hola Alejandro,

I did the same a year ago, I had to make a portal for local goverment. The thing is, that Catalonian and Valencian are not exactly the same, there are many, many small refinements that drives a valencian or catalonian to clearly distinguish one of the other.

What basically was made, was to translate the language properties file, from spanish to valencian using this translating tool . and replace Language_ca.properties and catalonian flag in the core. The results where optimal and client was very satisfied.

In the future, if there is a ISO code for valencian, will be a matter of minutes to make Liferay speak it oficially. emoticon

Saludos from Benidorm
Jack A. Rider
www.xmlporletfactory.org

Pd.: language codes are taken from locale of the java VM, trying to add va_ES, although is posible, it will multiply by many your project complexity.

Bon día Jack.

We have to wait until valencian achieves an ISO code.

I think my solution is similar of yours.

1.- I'll take 2 languages: Spanish and Valencian (Catalonian)
2.- Change flag in my theme (I don't wan't change anything in the core)
3.- Change some literals of Language_ca.properties
4.- Add one entry to portal-ext.properties to avoid catalonian code "ca" which is "forbidden" in Valencia:
locale.prepend.friendly.url.style=0

But step 4, have some problems about of caching pages, because the pages in Spanish and Valencian have the same URL.

Then it's necessary an ISO code for valencian language.

Salutacions i moltes gràcies.