Fórum

Liferay on mobiles and tablets, Whats important ?

Guenter Baumgart, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Liferay on mobiles and tablets, Whats important ?

Regular Member Postagens: 119 Data de Entrada: 27/01/12 Postagens Recentes
Hi,

We could successfully integrate our mobile-app-studio into Liferay. It creates native,web2 and hybrid applications for popular CMS or custom systems. Actually it was not planned to support another system but we've got in love with Liferay in the last days (hard days!). Liferay allows us also to offer "quick-apps" to the mass which don't need any CMS. Before we do this we wanted to figure out what is the most wanted in Liferay.

For instance in the app-studio self, users can add "data sources" : Joomla, Wordpress with different transport ways, MySQL or Web-API. It scans also for plugins of those systems and they are available within our link widget. So you can link to an article category, to a plug-in category or even to a Youtube channel and so forth.

Systems such as Joomla are quite easy to us but we are wondering what to do about Liferay.

1. What do we need to expose for sources from Liferay ?

For Joomla & Co we offer this sources :

"Article Section/Category"
"Article"
"J-Events Category" (Event Plug-in)
"J-Events Location Item" (Event Plug-in)
"Virtue Mart Category" ("Shopping Plug-in")

We didn't had a look at Liferay's CMIS implementation but we support XQuery on MySQL, SOAP, XML, REST and even on RDF sources.

We saw in Liferay the following :

2. KB – Sections, KB – Articles, Blogs and Web-Content. What else we need to support ?

3. What is the exact structure of the content ? We saw the "Organization", "Sites", "Locations" objects but we still wondering whats the relation amongst them. The rather presentational documentation of Liferay's homepage has some proper diagrams. Are there any more specifications in UML ?

Finally, we would like provide a site limited portlet with the app-studio embedded. It will allow you to mix your Liferay with any other source. The free version creates Dojox – Mobile driven apps for all HTML5 enabled devices. We ares still working out the customization interface (JS/CSS) but more or less you will be free emoticon !

Any help is welcome. We'd like to integrate it soon as possible.

Kind regards and a big hooray from Pearls-Media ;-)

G.
Guenter Baumgart, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

RE: Liferay on mobiles and tablets, Whats important ?

Hi,

After integrating the most obvious built-in data objects like the JournalArticle and events we are still very interested what concerns Liferay users on mobile or tablet devices.

Instead of creating a mobile theme, we've created an app-studio that primarily uses drag’n drop for creating a mobile application. Once a “data source” has been registered, you can drag links to its content into the simulator. : here

Now in the middle part of screen shot you see such data sources. There are also functional items you drag around like “Events Today”, “Last Articles”, etc…

Now about Liferay,

We enabled these items as linkable for mobile applications

- Static Web Content
- Static Web Content – Categories (We use that to allow users to build content trees/directories)
- Static Web Content – Tags
- Static Web Content - by category or tag
- User Events
- Blogs

Regarding “structures” we mapped everything so far into our framework for HTML5 or native iOS/Android. Also forms of course.

We’ve made also CKEditor plugin-ins to create such “links” within content (appSchemaPrefix://staticContent/articleID, appSchemaPrefix://picassaGallery/refId,…).

We’d like to know, what for “functional” links we should else add regarding “organizations” for instance.

There are those Util classes in the Liferay API to receive for instance “Last Articles” in a more comfortable way. I guess these functions have been added upon Liferay user feature requests. Would you suggest using this classes as reference in order to build the optimal mobile solution for Liferay ? I am just asking all this because we are new to Liferay and don’t know anything about but we don’t see any problem in supporting or integrating it properly.

Then about "CMIS", is it important to have a mobile browser for the repos ?

Thanks for your time,
g
Guenter Baumgart, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

RE: Liferay on mobiles and tablets, Whats important ?

Well, we couldn't finish the support for Liferay(for now!) but we could finish it for the other CMS systems.

that would be a mobile web app output : http://bitly.com/webxapp (that's the free variant)
that would be a native counterpart for iOS : http://bit.ly/xappolix2
and here you can finally setup and design your apps (in real-time on the deviceemoticon : http://bit.ly/xappstudio

I really hope we get this as sort of open source variant soon, including Liferay content.

However, what makes me really nervous is that "Mobile-Rules" in Liferay or "Mobile-Templates" for other systems are the final answer to address mobile experience, is it ? Because I don't think so ! I tried many commercial solutions or tweaking the mobile rules of Liferay but it always ruins the content in one way or another, or doesn't play nice with 3th party plugins, or its just poor to use.

Then, our "xapp-studio" was rather the first mile stone and it seems to cope with quite some situations. Now I can't wait for going to the next step, introducing graphical programming systems (flowcharts, using "Wire-It" as base/template). I did develop for over a decade for this kind of systems(game engine scripting,Virtools). Now, I am wondering how much interesting is that for Liferay users at all ? Simple imagine the Liferay API is callable through its JS interface as usual, but instead of scripting (and re-deploying your portlets) you'r dragging "building-blocks" around and wire them. The resulting output is instant, so thats perfect for prototyping, here is a live demo of a typical "Wire-It" application : http://feedscape.appspot.com. You'll get the idea ! Liferay is perfect as "Portlets" are very close to what we call "Building Blocks" in schematic flow programmings. For instance, to create a portlet you may group those "Behavior Graphs" and export it to your library,... Well at least thats the idea :-)

I am asking you this because we chose Liferay as our playground but we're not familiar with its history or its audience. However, we'd happy if the results have benefits for you.

Guenter