Fórum

Jelastic and Performance issues

thumbnail
Joss Sanglier, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Jelastic and Performance issues

Junior Member Postagens: 60 Data de Entrada: 15/07/09 Postagens Recentes
Just wanted to flag up a post made by Hitoshi about performance issues of 6.1 over 6.0 when run on Jelastic

Click Here

I have installed my own bog-standard liferay installation on Jelastic and although I have not made a comparison with 6.0 it certainly is hobbling along.

For anyone that wants to have a play on this environment, it is free to use while in Beta.

You can find instructions here.

However, I found a couple of problems. First of all when you come to the part about loading the library files, although you are meant to be able to upload them all at once, that was failing for me - you will need to upload one at a time.

Also, when uploading the Liferay WAR, that seemed to fail, but you have the option of grabbing via URL (the direct link from the sourceforge download page), so use that method. Much faster too.

Make sure when you create a new environment you remember to select a database - I chose MySQL - Which isn't shown on the instructions. You will be emailed the root password for Phpmyadmin.

The MySQL instructions are here.

Just put in the normal statements into portal-ext.properties as you would locally, using the link to your database which is in the email that you will have been sent.

Having done all that and restarted tomcat a couple of times just to keep your nerves straight, use the Open in Browser button to start it all up.

Warning: At this point, if it is anything like mine, take the opportunity to go and make a nice hot cup of tea, read a paper, catch up with your mother and so on while you wait.

If on the other hand it starts up in seconds and works like on steroids, can you tell me what you did?

emoticon

Joss
thumbnail
Tejas Kanani, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

RE: Jelastic and Performance issues

Liferay Master Postagens: 654 Data de Entrada: 06/01/09 Postagens Recentes
Hi Joss,

Thanks for the details. After going through your post it sounds interesting too me and I played around with Jelastic and Liferay. And it's free(in Beta) as well emoticon

I've gone through all the reference links and able to start up my Liferay with MySQL DB. I've put up all these in one place if anyone who is interested to have a try.
It includes step by step instruction of setting up jelastic environment and configuring MySQL DB with Liferay instance inside jelastic.

For more details, visit Deploy Liferay to Jelastic Cloud.

Regards,
Tejas Kanani
OpenSourceForLife
thumbnail
Joss Sanglier, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 60 Data de Entrada: 15/07/09 Postagens Recentes
One note - liferay is HUGE (no surprises there!).

On the beta version of Jelastic we are only given 1 gig per environment and Liferay plus the JVM and bits comes very close to that.

The result was that I did not have enough disc quota to edit my portal-ext.properties properly a few days ago. They very kindly increased my space so I could.

This means that Jelastic is only suitable for messing around with at the moment. However, it could prove to be a good solution in the long term if their paid model is reasonably priced, so giving a work out with liferay is probably worthwhile.

I believe that if Java is ever to get the level of attention that PhP has (with all the benefits that has brought PhP in terms of the number of people contributing to projects), then the cost of running a java solution for small companies MUST come down significantly. For instance, for my own business I run 6 domains with a mixture of Joomla, Wordpress and hand made solutions, 100gb storage on a virtual solution for about £25 per month.

In theory, I could run everything on one Liferay installation - but to get that much disc space on a managed environment with the similar sort of service levels I get with a LAMP set up would cost me more money than I could justify. Which is a real pity!

Liferay is proving immensely powerful, but despite its great success I am constantly surprised how many people who SHOULD be looking at it seriously have never actually heard of it. But as soon as they find out it is Java, I get "oh, dear - too costly to run." For larger clients this is not a problem, but there is a vast market out there where it is an issue.

Anyway - as server power goes up and costs go down, hopefully that will change!
thumbnail
Luis Mas, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 146 Data de Entrada: 18/05/09 Postagens Recentes
I totally agree with you!!! emoticon