Fórum

Social Office 2.0 And Liferay 6.1 Release ?

thumbnail
Karim HJ, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Social Office 2.0 And Liferay 6.1 Release ?

New Member Postagens: 15 Data de Entrada: 23/03/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi,
Can you provide an updated roadmap indicating these 2 products' release date (CE/EE)?
Social Office 2.0 was planned for this summer (and postponned to Q4) ...

Karim
Timmy M., modificado 12 Anos atrás.

RE: Social Office 2.0 And Liferay 6.1 Release ?

Junior Member Postagens: 34 Data de Entrada: 02/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Social Office will be released as a plug-in in future releases; so probably it will be planned just after the release of Liferay 6.1
Peter Key, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 10 Data de Entrada: 30/06/10 Postagens Recentes
Any update on the availability of Social Office 2.0? It is rapidly getting to the end of 2011 emoticon
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Expert Postagens: 373 Data de Entrada: 27/08/04 Postagens Recentes
Hi Peter,

Sorry about that. We experienced some delays and dependencies on 6.1. However, I can tell you we are actively working on it and I hope it will be worth the wait. You'll see a much more polished product than 1.6.

Best,
bryan

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the update. I am surely waiting in anticipation, as we have an internal requirement for a project collaboration platform and Social Office seems like the ideal choice. I have been retiscent to go into the current version too deeply because of some annoying little issues like not being able to easily change the logo to that of our company (it says in the user notes you can but it appears this is not operational...).
I know it is difficult to predict when the new release might be available, but any chance to pull out the divining rod?

Regards, Peter
thumbnail
Vicki Lea Tsang, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 49 Data de Entrada: 18/04/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi Peter,

We are currently looking at a Q1 release (no date set in stone yet). It's a little later than originally anticipated, but we have been using the time to include some really cool new features, which should hopefully make it worth the wait. So please watch this space!

Best Regards, Vicki
Franklin Moses, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 6 Data de Entrada: 09/12/11 Postagens Recentes
Newbie here, we have a small office (5employees) and Liferay I thought was a great app. I used the installer from Bitnami to get going with the portal. I was able to get it working, but found it to be a bit cumbersome and too large for our needs. I visited your site and saw the social edition. Installed it to test it out and really like it and feel that it would be a good starting point for our needs. It's something that we'd like to get started with right away. I guess what I'm wondering is if the social 2.0 version is something we can just install over the 1.5b, or will we need to redo everything? I noticed here in one of the other posts above that Social would now be a plugin for the portal? My technical expertise isn't that great as I'm just an office manager trying to find something that would help our medical office run a little better, so the easier the better for me. Any info would be helpful. Any idea if we can proceed with 1.5b for now and install 2.0 over it? Will it have a complete installer package that we could install and run without having to do any SQL connections? Or will everything be based on the Liferay portal with a social 2.0 plugin and it would be better to work on the Liferay Portal? Thank you.

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for the update. Like Franklin, I am waiting in anticipation. Our office could make very good use of a new improved Social Office. Sounds like it will be worth the wait!!

Cheers,

Peter
thumbnail

Hi Peter, Franklin—

Here's a key question for you guys: if Social Office or something like it were offered through Software as a Service with per user or user-tier pricing, would that be compelling for you?

Bryan

Bryan Cheung:
Hi Peter, Franklin—

Here's a key question for you guys: if Social Office or something like it were offered through Software as a Service with per user or user-tier pricing, would that be compelling for you?

Bryan

Personally I think the small business market is overlooked by many of the software manufacturers of something like this. Everything out there is far too big or cumbersome for our needs. Even liferay portal wasn't simple enough and streamlined out of the box for a situation with just 5 employees. In our Medical office a tool like this would be very useful, a pier user tier pricing is interesting. From a small business standpoint however outright purchasing something like this in a complete installer package and the ability to get updates would be better. The flexibility of your software and the ability to customize it for our office is something that is what appealed to me. The ability for tasks that was more on the level of a PM standpoint was nice as well which I didn't see in your liferay portal. In our setup collaboration and the ability to manage large amounts of information was very nice. In our office we deal with tons of information and to have a repository as well as a place to use as a resource for our employees is great. From the medical field perspective the application can be streamlined and customized easily for the way our office operates and I would think that if a lot more offices new about this it might be something that other office managers would be interested in. I have tested dozens of applications and yours was the one that I found to be the easiest to use and with the Bitnami installer it made life very easy. Unfortunately they didn't have an installer for your social application. From this one portal we were able to link all of our web based applications on one page and have resources available for everyone in the office. We turned a forum into a task tracking feature, but your social application had a better real ability to assign tasks and track them. In the end though we are a very small business and are still trying to be cost effective in what we use.

Brian,

I agree with Franklin's sentiments. However, our situation is somewhat different. We are a small central ofice of around a dozen or so people, with individuals in addition operating in 5-6 states. We are a not-for-profit industry organization with significant membership in an industrial sector. I am particularly keen to use Social Office as a collaborative centralized project management system for the various projects we undertake, with a mixture of internal and external stakeholders.

I believe if you offered it as an SaaS solution, it would need to be structured in such a way as to be convenient to manage the user numbers. For example, just a couple of prices covering blocks of users, rather than a per user price. Or a simple per project fee, maybe one for a small project and one for a large project (with many users).

Keep up the great work. I am looking forward to the new release!

Hi Vicki,
Now that Liferay 6.1 is just out (congratulations! The improvements look awesome!), any update on ETA for new Social Office? A new year brings new expectations!!
Ashutosh Maurya, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 2 Data de Entrada: 21/06/11 Postagens Recentes
I would also like to know about ETA for Social Office 2.0. We want to use this for team collaboration for e-learning startup for various online courses authoring. We are team of 4-5 trainers located in several countries and we want to use Social office for collaboration. We tried other option like Confulene etc. but Social office was best suited for us. Even Liferay Portal is bulky for us..
Looking forward to hear.
Trevor Townsend, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 26 Data de Entrada: 11/05/11 Postagens Recentes
Okay, the last we heard on a release date for SO 2.0 was from Vicki on December 5th where she said that "we are currently looking at" a Q1 release.
I do not wish to appear rude, but we heard promises before implying a Q2-2011 release. I find the collaboration style of SO to be superior to any other significant portal system I've tested (Alfresco Share and Team, KnowledgeTree, and so on), but I have had to delay development plans with clients for over 9 months now.

Back to the original question from the OP - have you set a release date for SO 2.0?

Respectfully,
Trevor
Nick Willey, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 53 Data de Entrada: 24/08/10 Postagens Recentes
I too am becoming increasingly frustrated with the empty promises so far. If a new release is several months away, perhaps the developers could provide some instruction on building SO from SVN for those of us that want to test it on the latest Liferay Portal.

Nick
thumbnail

Hi Nick, Trevor,

I'm very sorry for the frustrations we've caused to both of you.

I saw the latest build of Social Office last Friday at the office. The team is putting the finishing touches and says feature complete status is due for first week of February. That means we're about five weeks away from release at least, given the QA and UAT cycles still have to happen.

Let me talk to the team to see if we can get some early builds out to you or provide instructions for building it from scratch.

The good news is that the new product looks quite good and I think you will pleased with what you get.

Best,
Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Speaking for myself, I really do have faith in Liferay and your team, and I've been promoting this with my clients. I am very hopeful to see SO 2.0 soon.

Regards,
Trevor
thumbnail

Thanks a lot for the encouragement, Trevor.

Here are a few screenshots to whet your appetites:

• Contact Center with filter search
  • New 6.1 Document Library with preview generation. Also shows the new notifications system integrated into the dockbar
  • Microblogging Capability with threaded conversations
  • The New User Profile

This looks great, I'm glad to see that progress is coming along, and that it will be released soon. As much as i've enjoyed seeing the screenshots, it has only increased my anticipation and will make waiting until the release date even more difficult emoticon

Hi Bryan,

That looks really very intriguing - I see a few elements that I like.
Will SO 2.0 simply install as a module to Liferay? Can't wait to see this and work with it.

Is there a release date yet?

Cheers,
Trevor
thumbnail

Hi Trevor,

Yes, SO 2.0 will install as an application on top of the Liferay Portal platform.

And for those of you who have been following the thread, here's an update.

First, we decided to release SO 2.0 CE under the AGPL, the same license used for the previous SO release. SO will be made available through the Marketplace so it can be installed to Liferay Portal 6.1 directly, as well as in bundles with Liferay Portal CE and EE. The goal of SO going forward is to complement Liferay Portal so that it shows off Liferay's social collaborative capabilities out of the box, and to identify the areas where Liferay Portal needs to evolve architecturally as it serves multiple applications in a single environment, e.g., the plug-in architecture, application isolation, and classloading-related issues.

In terms of release schedule, SO 2.0 EE will be available a couple of weeks ahead of CE due to the release schedule of Liferay Portal; Liferay Portal 6.1 CE already has a GA out, which will be followed by EE GA, then CE GA2. This will all happen in the late-February to March 2012 timeframe.

There were a lot of factors involved in our decision. We considered the threat of competitors (large vendors, not our open source community) taking our IP and creating competing businesses to ours. We still believe that threat is real, but we will have to deal with it in different ways. One way will most likely be certain EE-only features that we build in the future. We will try to choose such features that are truly "enterprise only" in the sense that smaller "mom and pop" type users would not need such features.

We will also be providing a SaaS-based Social Office offering with per-user, per-site, or per-user band pricing that will allow end users to get productively quickly with SO without a lot of upfront or overhead cost.

We will continue to share more details over time.

Best,
Bryan

Hi Bryan,

That all sounds very realistic and promising, and I'm anxious to see the results. I also like the consideration that your team has put into EE vs. CE features for SO, namely that certain EE-only features won't hurt the usability/adoptability for CE users. Very important to us.

Next on my list is to learn more about application development on Liferay Portal 6.1. Because I'm small and more entrepreneurial than my competitors, I have to learn how to do all of this on my own, which also makes CE more attractive (i.e., great Liferay and community support). It also makes the value to my customer more clear - the solution is ready-made instead of requiring time/resources/$ for in-house or integration-type projects.

Can't wait to play with SO - thumbs from here!
thumbnail
Drew Blessing, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Junior Member Postagens: 78 Data de Entrada: 27/01/11 Postagens Recentes
Thanks, Bryan. I am looking forward to the release and appreciate the updates you are providing.

Hey guys,

Just want to check and see how SO 2.0 is coming along. I've got a customer already for a basic implementation for a small project team.
Any word on release date?

Cheers,
Trevor.
thumbnail

Hi Trevor, Drew

Thanks for your patience, once again! SO 2.0 is now feature complete and we are moving in to the testing phase of the project. Currently we are experiencing a very busy release schedule, with the plans to release Portal EE and Marketplace, so we are working on fitting the release of Social Office amongst that. Hopefully we will have some more news at the end of this week.

Also, please could you email me (first.lastname at liferay) , so I can get your email addresses.

Thanks, Vicki

Hi Vicki,

Email sent!

Cheers,
Trevor
thumbnail
Stian Sigvartsen, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Regular Member Postagens: 103 Data de Entrada: 27/08/10 Postagens Recentes
Hi Vicky / Bryan.

I'm leading on an implementation of Liferay 6.1 EE for a large UK local authority. We will be going going live with Liferay infrastructure at the end of the month.
The focus has been on providing a web presence and presentation tier for SOA, but there is also an appetite for looking at the collaboration features of Liferay.
So I was very excited to hear that SO 2.0 will be a plug-in to Liferay 6.1 rather than requiring a separate portal installation. Good work!
However, we're getting very close to the make or break date (as Brian said, competitors are knocking) and SO 2.0 is still not available. Is there any chance that SO 2.0 will be released during next week or allowing me access to an evaluation build? I don't want to see Liferay missing out on this opportunity at a time when you're trying to expand your UK presence.

-Stian
thumbnail

Hi Stian,

Email Vicki Tseng (first dot last at liferay dot com) and she can hook you up with our UAT process. Ask her for a preview build.
thumbnail

Just correcting a typo - it's Vicki dot Tsang at liferay dot com.

Thanks!
thumbnail
Stian Sigvartsen, modificado 12 Anos atrás.

Thanks both. Sorry for misspelling your name Bryan... I didn't want to perpetuate the "Brians" confusion any further emoticon
Vicky, I have emailed you. Looking forward to checking SO 2.0 out.

-Stian
Markus Blunk, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 2 Data de Entrada: 14/05/11 Postagens Recentes
Hi everybody,
has anybody checked alternatives to liferay social office ?
I am making a fool of me the second time and none of my customers is able to understand support and update fees in such dimensions for an enterprise product with those update cycles without any time/development management.
I am so sorry.
Best regards,
Markus
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Hi Markus,

If you need an early access build for your customers let us know.

Right now our target release date for CE is April 20th. I hope you can stay engaged in the SO and Liferay community.
thumbnail

Hi Stian,

Just curious on the results of your evaluation? Did your prospects like the product?
Claus Boehmer, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 4 Data de Entrada: 13/04/12 Postagens Recentes
Hi Bryan,

are there any news on the release date of Social Office?

I am working for the Catholic Church in Bavaria (Germany) and we are currently looking for a social collaboration software for a large user base.

At the moment we are comparing software from IBM (Connections, Portal, Sametime) with Liferay Portal / Social Office among others.

Are there any chances that we might get an early build?

Informations aboud license fees and access to the source code would also be a big point for us.

I am looking forward to your answer
thumbnail

Hi Claus,

Thank you for considering Social Office. I really hope that it will provide the solution that you need for the Catholic Church in Bavaria.

Here's an easy way to keep track of SO progress: http://issues.liferay.com/browse/SOS#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:summary-panel

Here you can see the number of reported issues and the number of resolved issues.

Another view shows you the versions and their release dates: http://issues.liferay.com/browse/SOS#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversions-panel

Vicki told me yesterday that our release date of April 20 for SO 2.0 CE may end up being pushed back because of the number of unresolved issues. We want to make the release at a good level of quality, so we've identified the must-resolve issues for the CE GA.

If you want a pre-release build, you can contact Vicki (she has given her email on this thread). This applies to anyone in the community wanting to get SO in front of their prospects, managers, or just locally to start working with.

Bryan
thumbnail
Stian Sigvartsen, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Hi Bryan

Unfortunately end of year activities and priority projects has meant that we haven't been able to commit time to looking at SO 2.0 in any great deal yet. Hopefully this is just temporary and the time will be right to look at such a product again soon. I have sent Vicki a SO 2.0 usability testing report based on my own testing.
On another note, we are pushing ahead with our Liferay 6.1 EE developments with our first application hopefully going into production later this week. Part of Liferay Portal's collaboration features are likely to feature in a second phase of this development.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to the official SO 2.0 release emoticon

-Stian
Ashutosh Maurya, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

New Member Postagens: 2 Data de Entrada: 21/06/11 Postagens Recentes
Any update on release of Office 2.0
thumbnail
Vicki Lea Tsang, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Hi Ashutosh,

Please check our Social Office JIRA project for our latest planned release date (subject to change).

We have already upgraded to SO 2.0 internally and it's a blast! And we've experienced a huge increase in adoption. Can't wait until we can get it out of the door and into the community's hands.

Best Wishes, Vicki
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Can't wait until we can get it out of the door and into the community's hands.

I think there's really was more anticipation out here that in there but I think it's fading out recently from looking at dates in this thread.
May be it's better to not touch on the issue further until AFTER it really gets out. :-)

I think it's like telling your kids that you're going to take them out to an amusement park but keep postponing it every weekend but still keep telling them how much fun the amusement park is.
thumbnail

Hi Hotishi,

I apologize for the little tease there - it was not intended as such :-) As Bryan previously mentioned, we had additional dependencies for this particular release with it being a plugin for the portal and available over Marketplace.

However, as you have probably already gathered, Social Office 2.0 CE officially released and can be downloaded here:

https://www.liferay.com/marketplace/-/mp/application/15190404

We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Best Vicki
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado 11 Anos atrás.

Liferay Legend Postagens: 7942 Data de Entrada: 24/03/10 Postagens Recentes
Thanks Vicki, saw it in the marketplace.

There was a question on SS2.0. One of them was about Marketplace being too confusing to download. The person wanted a step by step screenshots of download/installation process. Well, SS is geared to non-technical users and the current Marketplace is confusing especially with CE version being "free" but having to "purchase" it.
thumbnail

Thanks for the feedback - I'll be sure to pass this on to the MP team.

Cheers, Vicki