掲示板

Potential bug, Source Code change, LGPL...

6年前 に Yaz Erkan によって更新されました。

Potential bug, Source Code change, LGPL...

New Member 投稿: 3 参加年月日: 17/06/23 最新の投稿
Hi all,

I realize that we don't have helpful lawyers lurking in these forums, so don't worry, I'm going to take your responses as your opinions and not facts emoticon.

We discovered a potential bug in the Liferay 6.2 code. Given Liferay's LGPL license, if we modify the code we need to contribute the code back to the community.
1) Do we only make the changes open-source or the entire application? (my interpretation is the latter)
2) Can we simply create a bug report and a pull request with the proposed solution?

Thank you.

thumbnail
6年前 に David H Nebinger によって更新されました。

RE: Potential bug, Source Code change, LGPL...

Liferay Legend 投稿: 14916 参加年月日: 06/09/02 最新の投稿
Yaz Erkan:
We discovered a potential bug in the Liferay 6.2 code. Given Liferay's LGPL license, if we modify the code we need to contribute the code back to the community.
1) Do we only make the changes open-source or the entire application? (my interpretation is the latter)
2) Can we simply create a bug report and a pull request with the proposed solution?

Yes, IANAL...

Primarily if you consider SMEs on the matter such as https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html, it basically summarizes that you can use LGPL libraries in your own application and it does not need to be LGPL.

The twist here is this "bug". First it is unclear whether what you have identified is actually a bug or not, but in reviewing the source it does not appear to be. You've focused on the pull of the list of subscriptions for the given user ignoring group ids, but if you continue to trace through the code beginning at processSubscription(), you'll find that yes indeed the group is taken into account when processing the subscription details.

For the record it looks like the code has been refactored since the version that you're looking at, but the refactoring seems to be tied to a code cleanup but not necessarily an actual bugfix.

The question then becomes is this actually a bug or, by walking the code, do you just believe what you're looking at is possibly a bug?

Come meet me at the 2017 LSNA!