掲示板

Best way of sending notifications to users

thumbnail
7年前 に Javier Solana によって更新されました。

Best way of sending notifications to users

Junior Member 投稿: 59 参加年月日: 14/06/26 最新の投稿
Hi all,

as the administrator of a Liferay 7 portal with more than 3,000 users, I want to know which is the best way of sending notifications to them (mandatory by email) and keep kind of track of this (at least I need to know to whom I have already sent an email, because new users will register and we need to send them the previous mails).

I have been searching how to do this in Liferay 7 but it is not clear to me how to actually do it (although I think this is a simple thing and quite common, isn't it?).

I guess the solution is described here, but I don't know either how to install this feature or access it (if it is installed by default).

I don't want to export email addresses and names to a CSV and do mailing... tracking this could be a nightmare.

Thanks in advance

Javier
thumbnail
7年前 に Olaf Kock によって更新されました。

RE: Best way of sending notifications to users

Liferay Legend 投稿: 6403 参加年月日: 08/09/23 最新の投稿
Javier Solana:
...I want to know which is the best way of sending notifications to them (mandatory by email) and keep kind of track of this (at least I need to know to whom I have already sent an email, because new users will register and we need to send them the previous mails).

The Alerts portlet won't meet your requirement "mandatory by email". You're probably looking for some custom development here.

The easiest way that doesn't involve custom development: Depending on the nature of your mail (is it ever changing, a specific mail) you could send a one-time mail to all registered users and update the "new users registration confirmation" mail to contain the required information.

For another solution, you could send out these mails (you don't disclose the condition under which the mail is sent) in a custom plugin, and keep track of the mails sent in a custom field (look up the Expando API). Custom Fields are available for all built-in entities and you'd probably create one for a user here that you use to store information about the mail sent.
thumbnail

Olaf Kock:
The Alerts portlet won't meet your requirement "mandatory by email". You're probably looking for some custom development here.

Even if I set manually how every user receives the alert and they are not able to change it?

Olaf Kock:
The easiest way that doesn't involve custom development: Depending on the nature of your mail (is it ever changing, a specific mail) you could send a one-time mail to all registered users and update the "new users registration confirmation" mail to contain the required information.

We are already using the "new users registration confirmation" to explain the project to users. Besides, we want to send more than one email, so I am afraid this solution does not fit for us...

Olaf Kock:
For another solution, you could send out these mails (you don't disclose the condition under which the mail is sent) in a custom plugin, and keep track of the mails sent in a custom field (look up the Expando API). Custom Fields are available for all built-in entities and you'd probably create one for a user here that you use to store information about the mail sent.

Which plugin are you talking about?

Thanks!
thumbnail
7年前 に Olaf Kock によって更新されました。

Liferay Legend 投稿: 6403 参加年月日: 08/09/23 最新の投稿
Javier Solana:
Olaf Kock:

Which plugin are you talking about?

emphasis added. You'd have to write this yourself.

I've missed that the Alerts-portlet indeed does offer mail delivery, however, it would not be good as the alert is not "persistent" for everybody and just gets retrofitted to newer users. This is rather built for timely alerts (like the example states: Maintenance Window - platform will be unavailable at certain times) than for ongoing messages to everyone even only signing up in the future.

You probably have your own logic as to when you'd like to send your additional welcome mail - I think that this is best solved in a custom development. This does not mean that it'll be a complex task - just that you could start right away with solving your own problems rather than working around the assumptions that the Alerts plugin makes about its use (which doesn't meet your needs in the first place)
thumbnail

Thanks for the help... nor sure what is the best solution. If Liferay does not provide this functionality, I think I will just use some mailing solution approach (exporting and importing the addesses).