掲示板

Impact in migrating application built in liferay EE to CE

7年前 に Babu Mazumder によって更新されました。

Impact in migrating application built in liferay EE to CE

New Member 投稿: 3 参加年月日: 16/12/10 最新の投稿
The problem statement is to migrate existing portal developed in Liferay Enterprise edition (EE) to Community edition (CE).
Since i'm a newbie in Liferay so trying to get your expert help and pointers. I have a task to analyze and evaluate the impact in this migration so would like to understand precisely the areas that will be affected and will require code changes to make it work in CE.
Like related to build, deployment, built in controls, specific framework features or services, methods or keywords used in development that will not work or need to be done differently etc..
Please provide response at earliest and thanks in advance.
thumbnail
7年前 に Andrew Jardine によって更新されました。

RE: Impact in migrating application built in liferay EE to CE

Liferay Legend 投稿: 2416 参加年月日: 10/12/22 最新の投稿
First major question is, which version of Liferay are you working with?

My Bad. EE6.2 to CE 7.0 or latest.
thumbnail

Well right off the bat, since you are new to Liferay, you might now be aware of the fact that the architectural changes to the product between 6.2 and 7.0 are -- let's say ... significant emoticon. I think most would agree, once they get over the initial frustration of change, that the changes are for the better and the direction taken will mean an even better product in the future -- but you should probably factor in some extra pain of migrating the plugins. There is a new mechanism for doing it based on OSGI which adds some complexity, but Liferay has also moved away from ANT using now Gradle instead. Maven is still available though if you are more comfortable there.

Moving from 6.2EE to 7.0 CE is not advisable though. The CE version of Liferay has some pretty significant pieces stripped out of it. These pieces are not things that can't be resolved, but gone are the days, for example, of just spinning up two CE servers and having them cluster on their own with just a few property settings. Other features that you may have been using, like Audience Targeting, are no long offered in the CE stream starting with 7.0 -- that was heart braking for me, and I am sure some others as well.

In the 6.2 and earlier versions of the product there were only really a few differences between EE and CE. Opting for EE is a great idea for up to dat security fixes, hot patches for bugs and of course. support from Liferay and their partners. 7 is a whole other story though. The EE version has been rebranded as DXP and from what I understand licensing is now more modular. You have the foundation piece (which I understand is the core) and then the other peices are managed separately (licensed separately even? I'm not sure...). The big changes I referenced above though, in particulay the cluster support, means the CE probably isn't an option in an enterprise deployment.

My advice to you would be this. If you are planning an upgrade, license DXP, don't try to move to CE. Personally, I feel Liferay as a organization has very fair and reasonable costs. If you compare what Liferay charges in licensing to their big competitors (Oracle, IBM, etc) they're a fraction of the cost. On top of that you have a much better product (though I have some bias -- I consider myself an unofficial evangelist emoticon) and better yet, a product that understands the needs of developers and really caters to them.

If money really is a pain point, then you could consider a mid point between a DXP infra and a CE infra. Some clients I have worked with will opt for a CE Development and QA environment, but then for UAT and PROD they license the EE (DXP) versions. With this model you can recognize some cost savings (with the tradeoff of course of those environments not being part of the support contract you have with Liferay) while at the same time mitigating security and bug issues you might encounter in PROD.

Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions -- if you have any additional questions, just fire'em back.

Thanks Andrew for quick response.
I will keep an alternative option of license DXP to explore. However at present based on requirement looking for EE to CE. According to you if EE6.2 migration to CE 7.0 is a tough call then can you please suggest which version of CE will be more suitable that will take less effort and will be less complex as I will not get much time to do this transition.
Also in this migration it will be helpful if you can provide me specific pointers of impacts in the area of Features, plug-in's and methods that will need code changes or alternative approach/logic after migration to CE, otherwise it will be painful to walkthrough all screens/functionality and analyzing code to understand the impact.
thumbnail

Hi Babu,

If you MUST drop to CE, then the simplest would be to go to 6.2 CE, but again, there are tradeoffs that you need to accept. First and foremost, I am pretty sure that 6.2 CE GA6 is the last release we're going to see for the CE product so any bugs you come across you'll have to fix on your own (unless you have an EE license). Most organizations and consulting firms (outside of Liferay Experts and the partners) don't have the knowledge necessary to do that kind of thing and are better off with the support license.

As for all the details you need to put together your report/presentation -- that's not really something you ask in the forums. If you need a Liferay expert/consultant to help you with your work, you should consider hiring someone with said expertise.