掲示板

Liferay 6.2 development guide e-book

thumbnail
8年前 に Peter Siman によって更新されました。

Liferay 6.2 development guide e-book

New Member 投稿: 10 参加年月日: 09/05/13 最新の投稿
I was trying to find some e-book version of Liferay 6.2 developmet guide (because there is e-book version for administration guide). However none was available on Liferay pages. Then I found out that all of documentation is accessible as .markdown on Liferay's github page.

So I cloned the 6.2 branch and used the Pandoc tool and created the e-book (e-pub) file from the markdown files.

The result looks quite well (code is well formated, all images are embedded in text as well):

I think it could be quite useful for many other developers, so I decided to share it with you emoticon I have attached the resulting e-pub file to this post.

Moderator's note: I stripped out the attachment as it likely represents copyrighted material. I think you can tell others how to do it and they can individually process in a similar way, I just don't think you can post it for them.
thumbnail
8年前 に James Hinkey によって更新されました。

RE: Liferay 6.2 development guide e-book

Junior Member 投稿: 62 参加年月日: 11/02/15 最新の投稿
Hi Peter,

I'm glad you've generated an e-book of the Liferay developer materials. You're welcome to do that, all you like.

As you might have noticed, we've modified and organized the 6.2 developer materials differently on https://dev.liferay.com. The Learning Paths are intended to be read in linear fashion, like a book. Tutorials, on the other hand, can be read in any order.

We're considering how best to provide e-book versions of the materials. Thanks for sharing your exploration of that!

Jim
thumbnail
8年前 に Richard Sezov によって更新されました。

Regular Member 投稿: 220 参加年月日: 07/02/07 最新の投稿
James Hinkey:
Hi Peter,

I'm glad you've generated an e-book of the Liferay developer materials. You're welcome to do that, all you like.

Jim

As Jim stated, generating an e-book is a perfectly legitimate thing to do, as our documentation is also open source and distributed under a Creative Commons license (see here for the specific one).

I worked on a bunch of Python scripts to get the book to where you got it, Peter. Unfortunately, there was some manual work that needed to be done in Calibre to get it exactly right (title pages, author info, etc). For formatting purposes, I also embedded a font in the User Guide ePub which is downloadable at Liferay Developer Network.

Depending on the version of Pandoc that you used, you may also find that some of the tables aren't formatted correctly. Our Markdown uses the MultiMarkdown format for tables, and Pandoc uses a different format. I think, however, that recent versions of Pandoc have added MultiMarkdown support. At the time I was doing the User Guide, all the tables had to be reformatted by hand manually.

So those are some of the issues surrounding why we don't have a Developer Guide ebook for 6.2. Right now, we're knee deep in Liferay 7 documentation, and we would like to provide the docs in all formats going forward.
thumbnail
7年前 に Charalampos Chrysikopoulos によって更新されました。

Junior Member 投稿: 79 参加年月日: 11/12/09 最新の投稿
Hello Peter,

kann you perhaps share with us how you created an epub with pandoc?

Thank you very much.