掲示板

Comparison

8年前 に Dorothy Taylor によって更新されました。

Comparison

New Member 投稿: 19 参加年月日: 08/10/03 最新の投稿
Can anyone pls suggest that if there is a requirement of application integration, is Liferay solution approach better/not better than a client-side fmwk like AngularJS, given that what is needed is a very lightweight solution that has a customizable and configurable UI for all the different user types/roles
thumbnail
8年前 に David H Nebinger によって更新されました。

RE: Comparison

Liferay Legend 投稿: 14919 参加年月日: 06/09/02 最新の投稿
Comparing Angular to Liferay is just like comparing jQuery to websphere portal.

In the former they are javascript frameworks to facilitate building web interfaces whereas the latter are portal platforms with integrated data services, security, web content management, ...

You can build angular portlets that run under Liferay. In this sort of implementation, you're leveraging Liferay's core platform services for security, consistent theming, support for web content and perhaps other facilities as the shoe fits and building custom portlets leveraging angular and backend services for custom development.

Xtivia is doing a lot with angular portlets, you might consider reaching out to them for assistance.
8年前 に Dorothy Taylor によって更新されました。

New Member 投稿: 19 参加年月日: 08/10/03 最新の投稿
AngularJS is an MVC fmwk as well and not just for UI development. As we can compare any web framework to portal technologies, any server side and client side technology, similarly even portal(Liferay) should be comparable to client-side fmwk(AngularJS). We can develop a full fledged app using AngularJS plus it will be lightweight, can integrates various web applications in a unified way and have SSO too, much like portals. So in such a case can we not say that Angular JS is actually lightweight plus there is ease of development, testing, configuring, setting up etc.?
thumbnail
8年前 に David H Nebinger によって更新されました。

Liferay Legend 投稿: 14919 参加年月日: 06/09/02 最新の投稿
Just my opinion, but if your only choice is to choose Liferay or Angular, I guess it comes down to how much staying power you think the angular code might have.

Liferay's been around over 10 years and, although it has had it's own growing pains, it is a fairly mature platform.

With Angular, not only will you have to build everything from scratch (Liferay already has all of that wicked good stuff already done), you should question what kind of legs you think the Angular code will have. JavaScript frameworks seem to suffer from regular popularity contests with fickle developers flocking to one or another based upon weak word of mouth recommendations of bloggers.

Angular itself is reworking itself for A2 so there's going to be some upgrade issues to worry about going forward, and there's competition with React and Knockout all vying to steal developers away from angular...

But like I said, this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. My gut feeling is that Angular (especially A1) will start to fade losing ground to others due to contentions with changes coming in A2 and growing popularity around React/Knockout.

Meanwhile Liferay will be releasing LR7 with full enterprise support going on through the end of the decade at least and ongoing support for 6.2.

In my first post, however, I indicated that you can get the best of both worlds leveraging the existing Liferay facilities yet building portlets based on Angular. So you don't have to choose one or the other, you can choose to leverage both. Avoid the NIH and customize/extend for your needs...