掲示板

Undeploy a plugin

14年前 に Ben Starr によって更新されました。

Undeploy a plugin

Regular Member 投稿: 103 参加年月日: 07/11/27 最新の投稿
It would be nice if there was a way to undeploy a hot-deployed plugin (portlet, theme, etc) from the Admin portlet. At the moment it is necessary to delete the plugin from the application server's hot deploy directory but it would be nice not to have to directly access the file system to do so. I have some portlets that I just use once (e.g. data migration) and then undeploy.

Ben
thumbnail
14年前 に Lisa Simpson によって更新されました。

RE: Undeploy a plugin

Liferay Legend 投稿: 2034 参加年月日: 09/03/05 最新の投稿
That would certainly handle our issues with the Reverend Fun and other religious portlets. I understand Liferay's origins, but there are just some working environments where this is just not acceptable and can lead to legal problems if it can't be addressed.

This issue is slightly different to things like Reverend Fun that are part of the default distribution. You can disable the default portlets by editing some of the XML configuration files but you can't undeploy them because they are not deployed separately to Liferay. I'm more talking about undeploying portlets and other plug-ins that are deployed separately to Liferay (i.e. they have their own context/WAR).
thumbnail
14年前 に Jorge Ferrer によって更新されました。

Liferay Legend 投稿: 2871 参加年月日: 06/08/31 最新の投稿
Hi Lisa,

You'll be happy to know that all the religious portlets have already been extracted out as a plugin, and won't be part of the core distribution in 5.3

Regarding undeploying, it used to be possible to do so from the admin portlet (now in the Control Panel) and it was only enabled for Tomcat. But I don't see it anymore, so it was probably removed because it just removed the directory and, as Aniceto says, that's not a clean way to do undeploys.

As a final note, it's my plan to add to the Roadmap for 5.4 a revamp of the UI for administering plugins.
thumbnail
14年前 に Aniceto P Madrid によって更新されました。

Regular Member 投稿: 120 参加年月日: 08/05/24 最新の投稿
Wonderful, Jorge!

Hi Jorge,

Good to hear that plug-in administration is up for review. Perhaps part of the review could be considering a way to cleanly undeploy hot deployed plugins? I wonder if the problem is not so much that the delete method is unclean but that programmers have not written the necessary code to clean up (e.g. in Servlet.destroy). I must say that I haven't looked into it much myself so it is possible that the Servlet API does not currently provide a clean undeploy method (e.g. Servlet.destroy may not be sufficient). I'm not sure, but it would certainly be a useful feature as it means that you don't need access to the file system to undeploy things.

Regards,

Ben
thumbnail
14年前 に Aniceto P Madrid によって更新されました。

Regular Member 投稿: 120 参加年月日: 08/05/24 最新の投稿
Keep in mind that the simple "delete application folder" action is not always valid. In the case of JSF portlets there are many opened files which don't like that way of undeployment.

I suggest classes implementing a common interface to perform the right steps to undeploy plugins for the current application server.

Besides, in many cases there is no access to file system and the only manage tool is the web browser.

Aniceto

As Aniceto points out it would probably require an undeploy API call to do this properly. This would give the application a chance to do any required clean-up. It is possible that there are existing calls in the servlet API that would give applications a chance to do this though (e.g. Servlet.destroy). My main concern is that there is no way in the UI to undeploy a hot deployed portlet or other plug-in (though there is a way to deploy them through the UI).