掲示板

Some General Questions

thumbnail
15年前 に Channing K Jackson によって更新されました。

Some General Questions

Junior Member 投稿: 67 参加年月日: 08/11/13 最新の投稿
Hey there!

I'm an experienced JEE programmer with some pretty good depth with portals, and I am so far very impressed by both Liferay Portal and Liferay Social Office.

I am currently evaluating Social Office for a potential replacement of Sharepoint at my company, and am curious about a few things:

- What is the roadmap or timeline for a GA release of Social Office?
- Is there a WAR or EAR distribution that can be deployed to an existing web app server platform like OAS or WebLogic?
- Can components like the document repository be tied into existing content management systems like Oracle Universal Content Manager (UCM)?
- Are there any tools for migrating existing repository content into the Social Office repositories (documents, wiki content, forum discussions, etc)?
- Does social office come with installation guides or utilities for hooking into a database like Oracle?
- Can authentication and authorization be tied into access management suites like Oracle Access Manager or other directory services?
- Is it as simple to write extensions or applications for Social Office as it is for Liferay Portal?

As you can tell from my line of questioning, we are deeply entrenched in Oracle as an enterprise software suite. Fortunately, Oracle does some things very well. Equally unfortunately, Oracle doesn't do other things very well. Hopefully they won't screw up WebLogic.

More questions will probably come as I dive deeper, but so far, good job!
thumbnail
15年前 に Bryan Cheung によって更新されました。

RE: Some General Questions

Expert 投稿: 373 参加年月日: 04/08/27 最新の投稿
Hi Channing,

Thanks for trying out Social Office and for your encouraging feedback. Let me try to answer your questions:

- What is the roadmap or timeline for a GA release of Social Office?

Realistically we're looking at Q1 February or March. But if the community ends up wanting more or less additional functionality that timeline can shift.

- Is there a WAR or EAR distribution that can be deployed to an existing web app server platform like OAS or WebLogic?

We don't have a separate distribution, but you should be able to get it working OAS or WebLogic since it's based on Liferay Portal

- Can components like the document repository be tied into existing content management systems like Oracle Universal Content Manager (UCM)?

We'd have to know more about how UGM works to know for sure but I don't see why not. Liferay is agnostic on repository and we even allow (and recommend) using the file system to back the DL.

- Are there any tools for migrating existing repository content into the Social Office repositories (documents, wiki content, forum discussions, etc)?

Do you mean existing Liferay content? I believe some of that can be migrated by using Liferay LAR files (Community / Org import / export) but it depends on which content types have a data handler written for it. I would try to leverage Liferay's service tier. Look in:

portal-impl/src/com/liferay/portlet{portlet-name}/service/impl/*.java

There are many services you can use to programmatically insert content.

- Does social office come with installation guides or utilities for hooking into a database like Oracle?

Right now, no. There is a script, however, in the download. Look in the tomcat bin directory. You should be able to "Oracle-ize" it. Our engineers are working on an export / import tool that will help migrate across databases but I'm not sure what the timeline is on that.

- Can authentication and authorization be tied into access management suites like Oracle Access Manager or other directory services?

So for this sort of thing what we want to do is leverage the existing Liferay functionality but present the interface to the user in an intuitive way. We have the ability to tie in SSO / LDAP / custom authentication in Liferay Portal, but it's buried in the third level of an Admin portlet.

- Is it as simple to write extensions or applications for Social Office as it is for Liferay Portal?

Absolutely, you can just create a hot deployable portlet. Now the tricky thing is, we're trying to figure out the best interface for exposing the capability to add additional portlets (and pages) to the end user. We're thinking along the lines of having a "Mashup Wizard" or "Page Wizard" that would cover adding new portlets, widgets or mashups to a new page.
thumbnail
15年前 に Channing K Jackson によって更新されました。

Junior Member 投稿: 67 参加年月日: 08/11/13 最新の投稿
Thanks Bryan,

I did find the Authentication settings deep in the Admin portlet you talked about, and was able to hook into our directory and import users. Nice feature.

To follow up on the content migration question, I was referring mostly to taking existing content from our wiki, Sharepoint, and CMS and importing that stuff into SO. Can you talk briefly about some of the programmatic ways of importing content, or point me to a reference doc that talks about it?

Thanks, and have a great weekend.
thumbnail
15年前 に Bryan Cheung によって更新されました。

Expert 投稿: 373 参加年月日: 04/08/27 最新の投稿
Channing K Jackson:

To follow up on the content migration question, I was referring mostly to taking existing content from our wiki, Sharepoint, and CMS and importing that stuff into SO. Can you talk briefly about some of the programmatic ways of importing content, or point me to a reference doc that talks about it?

Hi Channing,

Check out for example, the class DLFileEntryLocalService in package com.liferay.portlet.documentlibrary.service.impl; it contains methods like addFileEntry() that can be used to take Sharepoint documents and upload directly to the DL. But I'm not sure how you would export things like meta-data and document versions from Sharepoint. If you have any tips, we would be glad to try to standardize that as a feature.
thumbnail
15年前 に Derek Nerenberg によって更新されました。

Junior Member 投稿: 41 参加年月日: 06/05/09 最新の投稿
Hi Channing,

I've looked around for some reference material like this in the past and found it very sparse. The collaborative features are relatively new to Liferay. They were rewritten in a 4.x version and were pretty barebones until recently. In fact, it wasn't until VERY recently that Liferay actually got off MediaWiki in favor of their own food.

S.O. is brand spankin new and I haven't checked it out yet. Maybe I'll have time over the holidays, but my best guess is it's the same stuff repackaged as a portal based collaboration suite.

That said, Wikis, Forums, and Blogs are all just portlet applications that follow the same general structure as the rest of the code. You can dig into the service APIs under portal-service and portal-impl under:

com.liferay.portlet.blogs
com.liferay.portlet.wiki
com.liferay.portlet.messageboards (com.liferay.portlet.forums would have been a nice touch here)

The Service classes are essentially your APIs. HTH

Kind Regards,
Derek